Thread: The Godfather Part 3 Is Underrated

Default The Godfather Part 3 Is Underrated

I know this exact topic has plagued message boards and film blogs for decades but whatever, I want to see people's opinions on it.

I'll make a disclaimer that I'm not saying its perfect like the first 2 parts, but I watched the film last night for the first time in years (I've seen the first 2 films more frequently over the last 15 years or so) and I enjoyed the shit out of it. The good parts in this film are so dope that they make the flaws easily forgivable.

The main flaws with the movie are Sofia Coppola awkwardly doing her father a favor after Winona Ryder dropped out of the role of Mary and a few unnecessary scenes where Michael Corleone drops corny soliloquies like its a Shakespeare play.

Other than that the film is terrific. First off the cinematography is stunning, the Corleone mansion, NY in the 70s, ornate Vatican offices, the Sicilian landscape etc. The lead performance from Pacino is really good, some people are upset that he wasn't soft voiced Pacino here but for the most part he doesn't overdo it and the rest of the cast like Eli Wallach and Garcia are great. The whole storyline involving secret societies and the Vatican (loosely non-fictional) is fascinating and the villains are super creeps. A lot of the set pieces are really memorable too like the helicopter attack, the assassination of Joey Zaza and the final showdown at the opera house.

There's no doubt it could have been better if Robert Duvall had signed up, Winona Ryder hadn't dropped out, and the studio hadn't rushed the release but its still a really enjoyable film. To me it feels like an epilogue to the first 2 films where Michael is regretting the fallout of his earlier decisions, but its also more of a traditional sequel whereas the first 2 were of a piece.

What will probably happen at some point is that whoever owns the rights will attempt Godfather 4 or straight up remake the series which will probably be terrible. Andy Garcia has said many times he'd be up for G4.

Shaolin Master

No

I don’t think anyone cares TBH? It just seems like, hating Godfather 3 is the popular thing to do.

Peace CT

It’s not the worst movie ever but it’s pretty crappy. Pacino is pretty good as the elder GF but not much else positive in it for me. Peace

It's shit for a Godfather movie but it's decent movie. The level of writing necessary to match GF2 and 1 wasn't there. The concept was phenomenal but there was an execution gap. It felt like a movie while the other two felt like novels.

They had a serious 'cause and effect' issue where people were acting recklessly as if they knew there would be no consequences since it's too early in the movie. Motivations were told to you so you didn't care. Nobody knew Vito and Micheal's motivations, you just tied ends together based on what they let you see.

I think the concept is the coolest of the 3 movies. I like the involvement of the church, and the increase in scale and modernity of the issues. I also like that it showed that Michael could never 'go back' to integrating into regular society even if he wanted to (though the point was articulated by they more or less just saying it).

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    It's shit for a Godfather movie but it's decent movie. The level of writing necessary to match GF2 and 1 wasn't there. The concept was phenomenal but there was an execution gap. It felt like a movie while the other two felt like novels.

They had a serious 'cause and effect' issue where people were acting recklessly as if they knew there would be no consequences since it's too early in the movie. Motivations were told to you so you didn't care. Nobody knew Vito and Micheal's motivations, you just tied ends together based on what they let you see.

I think the concept is the coolest of the 3 movies. I like the involvement of the church, and the increase in scale and modernity of the issues. I also like that it showed that Michael could never 'go back' to integrating into regular society even if he wanted to (though the point was articulated by they more or less just saying it).
    Yeah that was the main problem, Michael just talking too much over the course of the film. Godfather 1 and especially 2 are kind of perfect films but I love what 3 brings to the series even with the flaws.