Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GZA interview (therealhiphop.com)

Default New GZA interview (therealhiphop.com)

Last edited by LordReveal; 08-26-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    The Holy Temple Is The Mental

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

great interview

best part:

"TRHH: You wrote many of Dirty’s rhymes, correct?

GZA: Right.

TRHH: What was the process like being in the studio, writing, and working with Ol’ Dirty Bastard?

GZA:
    Well, this is kind of different. It didn’t happen like that. I wrote two rhymes for Dirty that I wanted to present to him and then he passed and never got to use them. I actually used one of them on the Grandmasters album with DJ Muggs, it was called “All In Together Now.” That was a rhyme I had specifically for him. I’ve used some of his rhymes also, but he didn’t write them for me. This is how it happened, some of the rhymes that he used on his album were written by me, but they were written by me as a teenager. They were routines we used to do. As we got older and Wu-Tang formed we started doing solo projects and he wanted to go back and touch on those. I felt we were grown men at the time and those types of rhymes didn’t fit me at that time. Dirty, his whole style was different and unique. His name was Unique and he was able to pull it off. That’s how that came about. Those were rhymes I wrote as routines with Dirty when we were in our late teens that he just happened to use. I wasn’t in the studio sitting down with him.

If you listen to the rhymes, “Sitting at my class at a quarter to 10/Waiting patiently for the class to begin,” I was in high school when I wrote that! He was able to use those. I had verses and lines on my Words From the Genius album before Wu-Tang even existed that Dirty had written. We did them as routines, but he wrote the rhyme and I was able to use it. I wrote, “I grab the mic and I’ll damage ya’/Crush your whole stamina.” That’s a verse that’s straight through that we did together on his album, but he was able to flip it in a way that he out-shined me on the track and took over! We did use each other’s rhymes, but it wasn’t like when he did Return to the 36 Chambers I went in the studio and wrote for him, no, those were routines we did as youngsters and he was able to flip them. “Approach your school, 9:30, you’re late/The time doesn’t have you disillusioned with the date/Get to your class, walk to your chair/Flop in your seat and impatiently stare/At the teacher, the board, students who were blocking you…” That’s a rhyme from high school. That’s his own flow, that’s how he flipped it. I wasn’t rhyming like that. He put his own touch on it!

Even the Liquid Swords song, “When the emcees came/To live out the name,” that’s an old routine from the 80s. It used to be a verse that said, “When the emcees came/To live out the name/Some rocked the rhymes that was all the same/And when I elevated and mastered time/They were stimulated from the high-powered rhyme/They was shocked, ‘cause they knew they were rocked/Like the sucker emcees from off my block.” That’s where it came from. Those were just routines that we used and revamped, and they worked. I didn’t even want to use that, RZA was the one who said to use that. I was like, “Nah, I don’t wanna use that routine for a hook.” He was like, “Nah, I’m telling you, just do it!”

Did he talk about dark matter?

Was that the name of that upcoming album? Not taking the piss. Genuinely forgot n had to try to remember the name.

When u listen to dirtys 36 chambers version First solo album. There is a Song where u can hear GZA in the Background and switching rhyme lines with odb. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Did he talk about dark matter?

Was that the name of that upcoming album? Not taking the piss. Genuinely forgot n had to try to remember the name.
    Yes, his concept album based on Space and the Universe. He said that the reason why its taking so long is that he can't find good enough beats because being in Wu spoiled him. He wants timeless beats, not throwback 90s shit.

He said he wants to release 3 or 4 albums within the next few years then he may move on to writing books and screenplays.

Peace,

Thank you for posting my interview with GZA!

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    great interview

best part:
    thank you!

Sucks that Gza writes so slowly, he'll be a great author or screenplay writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Sucks that Gza writes so slowly, he'll be a great author or screenplay writer.
    WORD.
    The following is said with all due respect and more so to pay homage; waiting for GZA material one must "observe w the patience of watching a flower grow" from "Cash your Crew" SUUUUUUUUU

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Yes, his concept album based on Space and the Universe. He said that the reason why its taking so long is that he can't find good enough beats because being in Wu spoiled him. He wants timeless beats, not throwback 90s shit.

He said he wants to release 3 or 4 albums within the next few years then he may move on to writing books and screenplays.
    Shit, I'd b happy with 2 albums. I'd settle for just dark matter.

If that's what's delaying him tho, then I can dig it. I guess he's going for something pretty special. Complete opposite of someone like ghost who drops consistently forgettable albums just for the sake of it. Or for money or whatever.

I do wish he'd finish the fucken thing tho.

2020 would be a good time to release it. GZA has been busy with other ventures as well. Hopefully, we see some new music from him soon, though.

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by puerto rock View Post
    2020 would be a good time to release it. GZA has been busy with other ventures as well. Hopefully, we see some new music from him soon, though.
    He announced Dark Matter 10 yrs ago... another year won't hurt I guess. I respect that dude is meticulous in his approach, but like all geniuses - they are fuelled by passion and often channel this into other avenues. If the verve and tenacity isn't what it once was - then that will be reflected in the artform.
    It is completely understandable that the modern day rap scene doesn't interest him. Gza is a national treasure. He bridges multiple generations of hip hop. Dude is from the era of the Bronx block parties. The fact that he is still doing it, is amazing - most of his peers are dust or collecting dust.
    It does seem that the subject matter of Dark Matter has fuelled his passion. I have no problem with him taking time to get the right soundscape to go with his architecturally sculpted lyrics. He should go to Godz Wrath for some interstellar beats imo.

nada ignorante

Im sure we all gonna be bumping Dark Matter at our nursing homes.
    N.I.