Thread: Sega Dreamcast dropped twenty years ago today.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Default Sega Dreamcast dropped twenty years ago today.

I remember playing Ready 2 Rumble Boxing in my local comic book shop when it was released and being mesmerized by it. I copped a Dreamcast many years later in March 2006 from a used electronics store in Harlem. Got it with House Of The Dead II and Sega Bass Fishing. Could not find any good games for it until three years later
    All I could ever find were generic sports games and a seemingly unlimited number of copies of Space Channel 5. Anybody have any Dreamcast memories?

power stone was a good one

Yeah. I have that and Power Stone II. I really want Giga Wing II, but it is expensive as fuck on Ebay and is probably worse in the wild.

phantasy star online is worth getting to play offline

Virtue Tennis with the 4 of us, and one person with an Arcade Stick. The Sega Fishing Rod. Trying to do a speed run of Jet Set Radio, and a friend of mine found a bug and the character just kept falling. Online Unreal Tournament or Chu Chu Rocket. The weird online racing of F355, which was just ghosts racing after the race.

Power Stone was insane, especially the 2nd one. Soul Calibur & DOA2 were gems too.

Space Channel 5 was actually made by the guy that did Sega Rally & Rez. Both are sick games.

Metropolis Street Racer was awesome. It was the first Project Gotham.

I could go on forever about this, the Dreamcast started a lot of stuff in Gaming. Mechanics and ideas.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Yeah, original Xbox is basically considered Dreamcast II

Yup, it basically was. I think they even had a sort of meeting. Plus the Windows CE thing was very similar. But the Dreamcast was way more elegant than the XBOX. That thing was basically a mini PC slapped together. Which also explains the horrible design.

The Dreamcast had so much potential. Next to the included modem, there was a broadband adapter. On top of that they were working on a Zip Drive add on. This would work in combination with the DLC. For example Samba de Amiga had DLC in the form of songs you could download. But this was only available in Japan as far as I know. The potential was there in any case.

Furthermore, you had the microphone you could include in the controller. So you already could do voice chat in some games. Like this obscure and weird Planet Ring, and the late Alien Front Online. Which was a US-only release. A shame though that they canned Propeller Arena. The game was basically done, and would offer aerial online combat. But I guess after 9-11 the climate wasn't really there.

I actually just got the Dreamcast book in by ReadOnly VG or something. They did a similar one on the Genesis/Megadrive. And this one looks nice too. Need to properly read it.

Nice. Always like hearing new Dreamcast folklore.

Happy twenty one years Dreamcast!!!!

Woohoo!
    Just read that Ninja Gaiden for the XBox originally started out as a Dreamcast game. Just imagine that.

Never knew that. Could have been a potential savior for Dreamcast. Everybody loves that game.

Over the years, people have argued that SEGA knew before hand they was going to lose. That is why the went all out. And in retrospect, with the marketing power of the PS2. SEGA needed a lot to save them. They was out of the picture for the entirty of the 32bit era with the Saturn. They got the Cobra Clutch after they had selected retailers sell the Saturn early. Wallmart was not selling SEGA. EA never made a game for the DC. That's harsh. And in the EU, you're only marketing goes to Liverpool for a football shirt. Nobody knew the DC was a thing. Except those in the know. People basically thought Sonic died with the MegaDrive/Genesis, while the PSX was taking gaming to the adolescent level in the clubs with Wipeout. Even with all the theoretical games, I think a whole lot had to change to put this thing on the map.

Rest In Peace to Sega Dreamcast twenty years later. It was discontinued on this date in 2001
    Last edited by David Daniel Davis; 03-31-2021 at 02:35 PM.