Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Disney ruined the Star Wars movies?

I thought this movie looked ok. I don't know why it's getting panned so early?

@Hanzo.....I agree, Star Wars under Disney has become a bit lame (Hence the reason for this thread). I don't blame the cast I blame the script writers, they followed cultural fads and made the movies too PG 13 rated.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    going to skip it and see the Jumanji sequel (first one was surprisingly enjoyable).

Yeah.... I agree

The first three Mandalorian episodes is leaps and bounds better than every Star Wars movie made after the originals

So after watching this I can say it's a deeply flawed movie which only confirms this threads title. Yeah Disney ruined it. Not because Star Wars was this fantastic franchise where all the movies were great. No far from that. 11 Star Wars movies and 2 are actually good movies the rest go from ok to straight up garbage.

Disney clearly had no real plan from the get go. Sticking the emperor in at the last minute. This was an uninspired movie that even as a standalone movie is bad. When you think of it as part of a trilogy, good luck connecting the dots. They basically 'fixed' everything the Last Jedi fucked up but in order to fix the story it goes into desperation mode.

The first 40 minutes is a clusterfuck. The rest is just meh. Even the big lightsabre battle was boring. Like the prequels sucked right but at least they all had 1 epic moment. The music plays and you get an epic light sabre duel. There are no epic moments here.
    Then the big space battle there's no tension because they like fighting 2-3 ships while the entire fleet just watches on from behind. Just destroy the one ship. It's like a cheap video game win cause.

It was boring. Not just from the lack of memorable set pieces but also the lack of tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    The first three Mandalorian episodes is leaps and bounds better than every Star Wars movie made after the originals
    Yeah. I talked a lot of shit about episodes 7 and 8 of the movie series. I don't even care about seeing 9.

But this new show Mandalorian is good. I've watched 4 episodes so far.

There must be a different crew producing this series than the cornballs who ruined the third trilogy of the movies.

Banned

I liked the originals. It was a good story.

The prequels were interesting mainly because of the development of Vader and the whole story.

But they weren’t that great. The acting was worse.

I think I saw one more... the one where skywalks appears at the very end.

I went because the ticket was free.

It’s just the same shit over and over.

It’s probably appealing to kids, as it should be.

I agree with Han, I might be interested if they do some R rated version, like they did with Logan or Joker.

But I have no interest in anymore of these movies.

Plus I’m not all that into the originals as it is.

I saw the new one. As much as I like to say these films are all nonsensical, there is something to be said for the plotting, character development, pacing, direction of the original movies.

Rise of Skywalker definitely is one of the worst Star Wars films yet. I think Abrams basically ignored The Last Jedi, which was a decent but flawed movie, in favor of doing whatever he wanted to do without it being properly set up in the previous movie. I liked the basic premise, but it's like they put no effort into making it work at all or explaining anything. They just threw in Lando, Han and other old characters randomly like that would make people forget that the script is atrocious, lazy tripe.

I enjoyed watching The Emperor fuck shit up - he's the most entertaining character in the whole series, and Daisy Ridley's performance was good but that's about it. I was bored by most of it. You can't say that about the prequels - 1 and 2 were full of fuckery and 3 goes HAM. This film was soulless by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    So after watching this I can say it's a deeply flawed movie which only confirms this threads title. Yeah Disney ruined it. Not because Star Wars was this fantastic franchise where all the movies were great. No far from that. 11 Star Wars movies and 2 are actually good movies the rest go from ok to straight up garbage.

Disney clearly had no real plan from the get go. Sticking the emperor in at the last minute. This was an uninspired movie that even as a standalone movie is bad. When you think of it as part of a trilogy, good luck connecting the dots. They basically 'fixed' everything the Last Jedi fucked up but in order to fix the story it goes into desperation mode.

The first 40 minutes is a clusterfuck. The rest is just meh. Even the big lightsabre battle was boring. Like the prequels sucked right but at least they all had 1 epic moment. The music plays and you get an epic light sabre duel. There are no epic moments here.
    Then the big space battle there's no tension because they like fighting 2-3 ships while the entire fleet just watches on from behind. Just destroy the one ship. It's like a cheap video game win cause.

It was boring. Not just from the lack of memorable set pieces but also the lack of tension.
    the billion dollar question is what does the future look like for all of the franchises Disney has now bought? The whole of Marvel, I want to say DC, etc. 90% of anything that came before 2015 is now owned by a company with absolutely no capacity to create original compelling content, and goes out of it's way not to take risks. Disney's entire business model is capitalizing on nostalgia, stealing ideas and condensing it into the more toy friendly version possible. That's really what happened with these last three movies, and is what's set to happen with everyone else. They bought the parent companies for the specific purpose of milking the shit out of them without adding anything to the brand.

It's a wrap for a lot of great franchises, and I've never heard of anyone buying something back from Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Disney's entire business model is capitalizing on nostalgia, stealing ideas and condensing it into the more toy friendly version possible.

They bought the parent companies for the specific purpose of milking the shit out of them without adding anything to the brand.

I agree Disney as a brand is well past it's use by date. Now all they do is splash cash to try and revive the brand. No one should sell anything of value to Disney, unless like TSA said they are willing to invest in it to make it something new from the company eg. New mickey mouse etc…..

{>____<}

I saw this film on opening night. I read the reviews prior to me viewing the film. I went in with a somewhat negative thought in my head based on what I've read online. My overall opinion on this film is relativity positive. Perhaps this is due to me not being a hardcore Star Wars fan. I enjoyed myself and so did other people in the theater.

I understand what people are stating regarding The Last Jedi. Different director with different ideas which totally messes up things for the triology. I thought The Last Jedi was ok. The Rise of Skywalker was a good way to end the franchise. JJ Abrams, producers, executives, and writers had to work with what they have. They had to end the franchise with a bang so why not have some fun? JJ Abrams is a good director and if they stuck with him, God knows have things would've turned out?

Good film overall.

3.5/5
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

the billion dollar question is what does the future look like for all of the franchises Disney has now bought? The whole of Marvel, I want to say DC, etc. 90% of anything that came before 2015 is now owned by a company with absolutely no capacity to create original compelling content, and goes out of it's way not to take risks. Disney's entire business model is capitalizing on nostalgia, stealing ideas and condensing it into the more toy friendly version possible. That's really what happened with these last three movies, and is what's set to happen with everyone else. They bought the parent companies for the specific purpose of milking the shit out of them without adding anything to the brand.

It's a wrap for a lot of great franchises, and I've never heard of anyone buying something back from Disney.
    I don't think they will release a new Star Wars movie anytime soon. Solo lost money, The Rise of Skywalker isn't doing as well as the previous movies. They will just continue with TV with shows like the Mandalorian which people liked.

With Marvel I don't think they can top Avengers endgame because the stars who built this franchise aren't there anymore. People are also worn out from superhero movies. For now Marvel will play the race card, Black Panther 2 and also an Asian superhero movie. Probably an Arab in the future to. They will just rehash the same stories but change the skin complexion of the superhero and people will watch.

Then you got the old cartoons they are remaking. Dumbo, Aladdin, The Lion King more is on the way. I think Dumbo flopped but the other two still made a lot of money even though they weren't that good.

It's all about the money at the end of the day as long as the shit they put out make money and people get excited over them Disney will continue. I think they have all noticed that the best superhero movies in the past couple of years, 3 of them were R-rated. The Joker, Logan and Deadpool. The Joker will probably win a couple Oscars. So maybe they might make more of these character focused movies aimed at adults. Ofcourse none of the three were Marvel/Disney products.

I agree that no body wants to pay to see white people. I think the superhero movies worked because they're covered up. I'm over deadpool too so I hope they chill on that.

They don't have the internal machinery to focus content towards adults. They're geared to get 'all ages' money. They'll throw out bones here and there, but box office alone isn't going to make them Toy Story international merchandise money so they're not going to lean on that at all. Unless they find ways to upsell titles to adults to the extent that they do with kids which, idk. They need to channel titles into toys, their parks, and television and won't get far making fake deep Joker movies. Games of Thrones did it well so we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing a wave of book adaptations though, which I think will pick up pace because there's too many streaming services. I honestly see 'the big screen' being for movies what terrestrial radio is for music. Strictly for the most agreeable mass produced, merchandise ready shit possible. It's already there, in fact.

Banned

They’ve saturated the market with this stuff.

When they start making the same stuff but with different characters based on gender or race, if it’s the same stupid shit people aren’t going to be fooled.

It will still make money but it’ll be more of the same and the movie shitty.

Like they’re doing with Creed and Karate Kid.

Creed Is the most overrated movie ever. Completely unoriginal, same old script it’s just Rocky 7 and 8.

I give the Rockys credit because they did continue the storyline of the man but it’s completely played now.

Karate Kid didn’t need parts 2 or 3 let alone the last two.

They’re just investing in money making commodities.

Scorsese didn’t shit on superhero movies because he doesn’t think they should be made, he just made the point that it’s impossible to get people to invest in other movies.

But he came out of that autere directors era where studios were giving directors free artistic reign up until the 80s.

Mandalorian comes back in October with Season 2. I'm hyped. I really enjoyed the first season.

Season 2 episode 1 was alright.

I didn't really like the plot. He risked too much just to get some armor back. And he didn't find other mandalorians which was supposed to be his fucking mission. Failed.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Disney can do their family friendly crap and still throw a bone to us Marvel Knights type of crowd. Deadpool franchise has been hitting so far and Logan was good. So were Venom and Doctor Strange. So they see that there is a market for dark stuff..