Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie 'Contagion' Might Be Happening IRL

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Why do you think certain businesses are open during this time? They're calling them "essential". You can still order and pick up food, get your car fix, construction companies are open, and weed shops.
    over here they're keeping press shops and newspaper stands open, ostensibly 'to keep the public informed' (government quote). as several shop owners have told me over the last few days they are being forced to remain open because of the cigarette sales and lottery tickets, of which over 90% of the sales go directly to the government

'forced' as in they do not get a €4,000 a month substitution cheque from the government to keep their business afloat in the long run if they close down now. (This is the monthly amount that pubs, restaurants etc are getting right now during the semi lockdown). I imagine in some countries most businesses don't get anything from the government so enterpreneurs could have been worse off over here

Banned

How much is €4,000 in real people money?

Well Murica just took the worldwide lead in number of positive cases. Italy & Spain are falling apart, somehow the Germans are looking after their patients better. Even in Switzerland the death rate in the German cantons are much lower than that of the Italian & French ones.

All the equipment China is sending over to Europe barely works. The rapid test kits were inaccurate which caused cases to spike in Spain. Face masks sent to the Netherlands don't work either apparently.

the Germans ordered a huge amount of tests in time, which might go toward explaining why they seem to be handling containment well. they reacted more swiftly than their neigboring countries when they saf the first development of the disease in Italy.

I have no explanation for the German speaking part of Switzerland though.

Also, I saw an interview with a German doctor yesterday who stated that so far most patients there are around 40 years old (better chances at healing) but that they are now beginning to see more elderly people at the hospitals, whose survival chances are lower.

so the situation in Germany might slowly get worse. or not, it's hard to make predictions, not being a scientist and all.

it looks like the French government is expecting things to get (much) worse in their country soon. an even stricter policy is now in place (people staying in etc.) and they are bringing patients to the west of the country (some eastern regions have reached full capacity), to Germany and to Luxemburg, a country as big as CEITED's tiled living room.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    Well Murica just took the worldwide lead in number of positive cases. Italy & Spain are falling apart, somehow the Germans are looking after their patients better. Even in Switzerland the death rate in the German cantons are much lower than that of the Italian & French ones.

All the equipment China is sending over to Europe barely works. The rapid test kits were inaccurate which caused cases to spike in Spain. Face masks sent to the Netherlands don't work either apparently.
    330 million people in this country. Stores are still open, it's cold, people are still travelling, and we have governors and a President who lacks an understanding of what's going on. They're concerned about the economy because they don't what to shut down the country. We're in trouble. People are losing their jobs (thankfully I'm still employed), cleaning supplies are always sold out, and people are constantly not listening regarding social distancing. Non-essential businesses are open even through they should be closed.

I'm hoping in mid April or May, this virus will go away.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Max Chinroom View Post

We are crashing this plane with no survivors
    Pittsburgh will recover from the corona just like we recovered from Bane.

(Quick fun fact: the kicker in that scene was Luke Ravenstahl who was our mayor at the time. He was a kicker in college for Washington & Jefferson College which I am about a mile from at this Ver second. Also the same school Roger Gooddell graduated from)
    Last edited by Sir Artsdradamus; 03-30-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    I'm hoping in mid April or May, this virus will go away.
    I'd hope for mid April for the US too but I think it could last till the end of May. experts around here seem to be mentioning 10 weeks for the virus to die down a lot. I guess it's hard to predict any which way you look at it. but looking at what happened in other countries and the measures that were taken there I really think mid April is too optimistic for the US

good to hear you still have your job. be safe

peace

Banned

They predicted mid April could be a peak for it. Then they said early to mid May.

They have no clue. All I know is my lawn doesn’t care. It’s starting to pop, it’s got that beautiful early spring emerald glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    All I know is my lawn doesn’t care. It’s starting to pop, it’s got that beautiful early spring emerald glow.
    good to hear that the lawn abides.

Wuhan's been out of lockdown for a few days now. today's news about The Dead Zone : 4 new deaths, 30 people showing symptoms and 60 more showing no symptoms but they have the virus too.

Dooch's lawn will survive us all.

lol more and more reports locally of fuckos spitting or coughing in other people's faces sayin 'I got that corona!'

victims : bus drivers in a car crash, police officers pulling over cars to check on whether drivers aren't leaving certain zones etc

I read about similar cases in the Netherlands earlier on, where judges don't play that shit : 8 to 12 weeks in jail and a €500 fine (that's $540 in Vandelay dinero)

Banned

Haha. I should photocopy my “essential worker” letter and start selling copies to people who want to go out