Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gza

Veteran Member

Honestly, starting with grandmasters, I felt like there was no passion in his voice, and this is when I felt his flow sounded ridiculously lazy. Could be him caring less, could be health...not sure. But since then he's been less enjoyable to listen to imo

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopjunky View Post
    Honestly, starting with grandmasters, I felt like there was no passion in his voice, and this is when I felt his flow sounded ridiculously lazy. Could be him caring less, could be health...not sure. But since then he's been less enjoyable to listen to imo
    Pro Tools had a cool vibe yet his voice was indeed a bit lazy but I enjoyed the album much and I still listen to it to this day. Grandmaster was a great album with dope lyrics and I wish he could do stuff with DJ Muggs again. I think GZA doent feel like rapping anymore. He's 54 for God's sake! He's about to be 60 very soon. It's hard to realize that but most of Wu members are grandfathers now lol. Cappa is grandpa, Ghost is for sure and U-God's son has a one-year-old baby.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

^O.G’s are very much relevant IMO. Do the knowledge.. They ain’t oldees yet.. LOL.. I still hope GZA drops another album. He’s my favorite lyricist of all time. Thanks for the replies y’all! Peace

Banned

lol @ thinking netflix threw a lot of money at Gza.

Relevant? Find a random hip-hop head now and ask him about the last GZA's verse and you'll be lucky even he will know who GZA is. Wu as a collective is still quite relevant but individual members are not. Even Meth doesn't make people go wild anymore when he announces a new album.

Their last compilation album was considered to be quite successful and they sold 20,000 copies of it (25,000 if you include streaming). USA alone has 330 million of people and only 20,000 gave a fuck to buy new Wu-Tang album. That's 0.006R% of the population. They would probably sell more in Europe but the number is still low. To show you how small numbers we're talking about, the most famous rapper in Poland sold over 100,000 copies of his new album in 2019. That's 5 times more than the legendary Wu-Tang Clan

btw. you think they're not old? They're in their 50s. All of 'em and most of 'em don't give a fuck about rapping (and I'm not surprised) and I'm telling you if Deck or Masta Killa could make money off something besides rapping they wouldn't rap anymore. RZA has come to that conclusion many years ago and he started that whole Hollywood/vegetarian leather shit. GZA practically stopped rapping and started touring schools giving lectures about universe.
    Last edited by soob; 02-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post

btw. you think they're not old? They're in their 50s. All of 'em

Meth, U-god, ghostface and Deck are still in their 40s

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post
    Meth, U-god, ghostface and Deck are still in their 40s
    Ghost, U-God and Deck were born in 1970 so they're turning 50 this year
    Meth will be 50 next year

Banned

Like I said, they’re still in their 40s

USA alone has 330 million of people and only 20,000 gave a fuck to buy new Wu-Tang album. That's 0.006R% of the population. They would probably sell more in Europe but the number is still low.
    Your point would've been taken more serious if you present realistic numbers. The age group that would "purchase" an album would probably be those between the ages of 16-46.

'

If Gza or RZA got on Twitch or YT or any streaming platform once a week to just BS with a live audience and do things like Wu-Trivia or sample unreleased verses and beats they'd be raking in cash with ads or corporate sponsorships like dated terrestrial radio, yet 10-fold. Not that they need it, but it's bordrline retarded to not seize those opportunities.

I'm sort of perplexed of why this hasn't happened BY NOW. You basically have Beatles or Mickey Mouse status, and the potential to collect recurring revenue with a global audience of superfans and upsell them stupid shit like burritos/vape juice or useful stuff to the upcoming artists like custom tailored audio suite plugins or libraries or drum kits and sounds?

Instead you sit on your hands?
    Ringz should fix his broken forum. This is amateur hour, I've been in SoftDev for a decade.

Relevant? Find a random hip-hop head now and ask him about the last GZA's verse and you'll be lucky even he will know who GZA is. Wu as a collective is still quite relevant but individual members are not. Even Meth doesn't make people go wild anymore when he announces a new album.

Their last compilation album was considered to be quite successful and they sold 20,000 copies of it (25,000 if you include streaming). USA alone has 330 million of people and only 20,000 gave a fuck to buy new Wu-Tang album. That's 0.006R% of the population. They would probably sell more in Europe but the number is still low. To show you how small numbers we're talking about, the most famous rapper in Poland sold over 100,000 copies of his new album in 2019. That's 5 times more than the legendary Wu-Tang Clan

btw. you think they're not old? They're in their 50s. All of 'em and most of 'em don't give a fuck about rapping (and I'm not surprised) and I'm telling you if Deck or Masta Killa could make money off something besides rapping they wouldn't rap anymore. RZA has come to that conclusion many years ago and he started that whole Hollywood/vegetarian leather shit. GZA practically stopped rapping and started touring schools giving lectures about universe.
    Who said I meant relevant in terms of commercial succes? GZA is an artist. A poet. His musical content is art. And believe it or not.. Some PPL still appreciate this. I couldn’t care less how old the generals are. Their art is timeless

And you're right it's an art but you gotta admit you'd rather hear new Wu-Tang Forever than A Better Tomorrow, right. Wu-Tang will always have their place in music history but their music isn't as sharp as it used to be due to their age as well. That was my point

PRODIGAL SUN

we need all this projects to come to light

{>____<}

I think GZA is at the point where he has nothing to prove. He's dropped classics and he has legendary status in hip hop. So, if he were to drop Dark Matter, it'll be in his own time (the album is past due). He's not being lazy or weird. The only people who would purchase Dark Matter is us. That's, what, <4,000 in sales? It's not worth it.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

And you're right it's an art but you gotta admit you'd rather hear new Wu-Tang Forever than A Better Tomorrow, right. Wu-Tang will always have their place in music history but their music isn't as sharp as it used to be due to their age as well. That was my point
    Of course. Regarding the generals as a collective. They ain’t as sharp as they used to be. A Better Tomorrow was weak as fuck. But MC wise I’d still say they got the W.U.T.A.N.G goin on.. Except Cappa. He fell off big time! (Meth keeps gettin better!)But then you got the rest of them still making dope albums every now and then. We ain’t talking classics, but still alot of quality material. I be fiendin for that real shit which the youngin’ lacks now a days. So I’d rather hear them O.G’s spit! Just give them the right fucking beats and we could get another classic.. Solo or Clan