Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden is the obvious choice for assisted living

{>____<}

^Hmm.

'3,000 blacks owned a total of 20,000 slaves the same year.'

We were unable to find hard data to debunk -- or support -- this figure.
    The most solid data we found was published in an article in the Root by Henry Louis Gates Jr., a Harvard University historian. Gates cited research by Carter G. Woodson, an African-American historian who died in 1950. He found that in 1830, a total of "3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves." With three more decades of population growth, it’s plausible that the number of black-owned slaves could have grown to 20,000 by 1860, historians told us.

"I'd imagine that the (20,000 figure) quoted in the meme is probably not that far off from being true," said Junius Rodriguez, a Eureka College historian and author of Slavery in the United States: A Social, Political, and Historical Encyclopedia.

But the 20,000 number is not necessarily as eye-popping as the meme makes it out to be. For starters, even if the number is accurate, it would still account for just a tiny percentage of all slaves held in the United States in 1860 -- specifically, one half of 1 percent. That runs contrary to the post’s framing. "That’s a very small number compared to Latin American or Caribbean societies," said Stephanie McCurry, a Columbia University historian and author of Confederate Reckoning: Power and Politics in the Civil War South. In addition, the figure is almost certainly inflated by a legal quirk in most antebellum southern states. It includes "many ‘owned’ family members whom they had purchased to become free," said Eric Foner, a Columbia University historian and the author of such books as The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. "You could not free a slave in most southern states without sending them out of the state."

Gates, writing in the Root, noted that the late historian Thomas J. Pressly used Woodson's statistics for 1830 to determine that about 42 percent of these black slaveholders owned just one slave. To Gates, this suggests that many -- though hardly all -- black "slaveholders" legally needed to "own" a family member such as a wife or child. As Woodson wrote in his 1924 book Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830, "In many instances the husband purchased the wife or vice versa. … Slaves of Negroes were in some cases the children of a free father who had purchased his wife. If he did not thereafter emancipate the mother, as so many such husbands failed to do, his own children were born his slaves and were thus reported to the numerators." In other cases, Woodson wrote, "Benevolent Negroes often purchased slaves to make their lot easier by granting them their freedom for a nominal sum, or by permitting them to work it out on liberal terms."

Our ruling

The viral post said that "at the PEAK of slavery in 1860, only 1.4% of Americans owned slaves. What your history books doesn’t tell you is that 3,000 blacks owned a total of 20,000 slaves the same year." In reality, far more than 1.4 percent of families in slaveholding states -- the most reasonable way to measure it -- owned slaves. The number was between 20 and 25 percent, and in some states, the rate was twice as high. As for black-owned slaves, they certainly existed, but they represented a tiny fraction of all slaves in the United States, and many were likely "owned" by their spouses or parents due to the prevailing laws in many slaveholding states.

We rate the statement False.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

{>____<}

BTW, I secretly want Pence to win this debate.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

He might. tbh I have no idea at all how strong of a debater he is. Harris is outspoken, it's probably not gonna be a walkover for Pence. Harris is vulnerable though because she's now turned away from some of the ideas she was rallying for earlier on in her judicial / political career
    Retired.

There's a good chance today's debate might leave more room for in depth policy discussion, I would be really surprised if these two go at each other on a personal level during the debate the way Trump and Biden did
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Amateurs. You want to fuck up government buildings, i can condone that to an extent. Leave personal property alone, maybe its an easy target, but it makes you look weak and ignorant.
    Last edited by b-dolo; 10-07-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Banned

I actually enjoy the continued degeneracy of BLM because the tide is going to turn hard on them.

Democrat corruption is just policy now.

I said a while back that anyone who supported BLM publicly will be scrubbing their social media in the future.

Only the true racist/commie won’t.

whatever the outcome of the election I think the new administration (or new same administration) will come down hard (I mean much harder) on the violent 'protester' mobs. as I said before in here I don't think these mobs will disperse on their own accord at all after the election. but ...

if Trump wins he will have more pull to bring in extra feds (overruling local Dems). if the Dems win they can't have their Dem mayors continue to have trouble with mobs because it will make the new administration look bad.

these dudes and dudettes better enjoy the remainder of their time in cardboard shanty towns, come November play time will be over
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    whatever the outcome of the election I think the new administration (or new same administration) will come down hard (I mean much harder) on the violent 'protester' mobs. as I said before in here I don't think these mobs will disperse on their own accord at all after the election. but ...

if Trump wins he will have more pull to bring in extra feds (overruling local Dems). if the Dems win they can't have their Dem mayors continue to have trouble with mobs because it will make the new administration look bad.

these dudes and dudettes better enjoy the remainder of their time in cardboard shanty towns, come November play time will be over
    You would think so but I’m not sure. But this group is nothing but a menace and yes they are domestic terrorists.

Nobody wants them around, people who support this shit In any way are complicit. Even if it’s as some BS fashion statement for social media.

Shaolin Master

Is the next debate going to be a virtual one?

Yes, but I read somewhere today Trump doesn't want to do a virtual one. It was in local printed media. I'm too laaaazy to google right now. Skampoe's Greatest Hits deluxe double disc set will have that effect on the unsuspecting listener.
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Biden wants virtual so he can use his teleprompter

I can't stop laughing at how one of the leaders of that Michigan Fed-Honeypot spin off Militia is a self proclaimed anarchist. Look at this guy:

https://twitter.com/BardsFM/status/1314283440741576704

Media is going ape shit trying to pin this on the right lol. Plus your average American is clueless about how intelligence agencies for decades have either single handedly created some of these groups or infiltrated and encouraged 70 IQ retards to carry out violence.

The legitimate ones solely exist to protect their community during societal collapse or assist the National Guard during natural disasters.
    Democrat politicians and liberals really have no idea what they’re dealing with when the empower Antifa and BLM.

These people want nothing do do with democracy or America as we know it.

Banned

another angle, since it looks like the UnicornRiot stream went down: https://www.facebook.com/emma.fiala....80270449046955

This looks like a Hot Topic goth Halloween march

It’s like some interactive public art theater piece lol.

Banned

This what happens when drama class nerds become adult activists.
    That’s exactly what it is. It’s a Big stage to them. A big play.

They’ll milk it for everything it’s worth.

Banned

National Guard just shut their shit down in Wisconsin.

They are getting violent with motorists in Tacoma Washington right now.
    Violence is their game. It’s rarer when hey don’t go that route.