Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cosmic Horror Instrumental LP

No man I wasn't drunk I thought that was what you titled your beat at first
    Trip

I still haven't listened to the rest of the album but gave the 2nd video a listen.

I love the sound of the drum sticks clicking together before the beat kicks in. drums sound good and real and snappy.

I was already impressed before the 1:06 mark when the beat evolved and a sweet soulful voice sample came in.

Definitely hear the Wu-Tang influence at 1:40 mark.

Masterfully done. Your game is getting nice. Make more beats while you're in the zone. You're on to something.

I wonder are you doing some of the background synth yourself? Looping crosswaves or you have an analog piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    I still haven't listened to the rest of the album but gave the 2nd video a listen.

I love the sound of the drum sticks clicking together before the beat kicks in. drums sound good and real and snappy.

I was already impressed before the 1:06 mark when the beat evolved and a sweet soulful voice sample came in.

Definitely hear the Wu-Tang influence at 1:40 mark.

Masterfully done. Your game is getting nice. Make more beats while you're in the zone. You're on to something.

I wonder are you doing some of the background synth yourself? Looping crosswaves or you have an analog piece?
    Thanks I appreciate that. Yeah I play a lot of synths on my beats, just whatever stuff I can find online played through a novation keyboard.

Made another video clip, might as well follow through on whatever ideas I have while I have all this extra time.

Zelda sample, Zelda clip.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

Another video clip. Going into space.
    niiice!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

Zelda sample, Zelda clip.
    very relaxing, I dig it

I liked Perfect World better than Hyrule. Perfect World with maybe a more snappy snare, little bit more sustain on the bass and a real female vocalist on it would be a hit.

Raptor Cage is cool too. Again, it seems the snare just needs a little bit of tweaking. I'm not sure if it needs an extra layer, or some effects. Something. Maybe the kicks too. I'm listening through audio technica ATH-M50x headphones.

I know that listening to old beats I made years ago I wish I had spent more time on my drums. People don't realize how much work goes into making drum samples sound right and they make or break a song often. I watched an old video of Havoc of Mobb Deep making beats and he says it is all about the drums.

I bought a few compressors that I'm going to use to try to better shape the ADSR on some of my drums and I also have a few rack effects machines. I pick them up at pawn shops or off craigslist when they come up cheap for $100 or less. For drums I like to make use of reverbs and the plate settings in particular. On synths I like to use chorus and delays to add ambiance and fill out stereo sound.

JJOS2xl in MPC 1000 has a few new effects such as bitcrusher and ring modulation. You can down sample drums to lots of different frequencies and bit rates and for ring modulation you can mix in sine waves or square waves for a ring modulation effect sort of like you hear in old SP-1200s. Also, there's lots of plugins for modifying transients such as Organic ReSynthesis or Smack Attack. I read stuff like this to try to learn https://www.waves.com/drum-transients-shaping-tips

I'm still learning some of this stuff myself so take it with grain of salt.

I like that your instrumentals don't really fit in any single genre. They'd still appeal to people who don't even listen to much hip hop.

I'm happy with the drums and everything else pretty much. The thing is I've posted music in feedback threads and everybody who's a musician has their own ideas about what works and what they'd do differently.

At a certain point you just have to trust your own instincts.

No free DL of this tape?

I think I was just projecting, self reflecting on my own weak drum game on some of my own beats. boom bap boom boom bap when the creativity isn't flowing. Lately been paying more attention to the drums in beats.

Hey I meant to ask you how you make your videos.

What program do you use for editing? I have a program Sony Vegas but it is old.

^ Ah, I forgot to reply. I was using windows live movie maker, now I'm alternating between that and openshot, which is free video software. I already knew a bit about using those programs from film class but I've only made basic vids so far, just editing old clips and stuff. Another one:

Wow another good one. Atmospheric, builds in suspense, great synths

1:25 mark onward is my favorite part. When you drop the drums.

I'll look into using openshot. I need a program that can quickly batch rotate multiple video files and trim video files and normalize the audio. Sony Vegas is pretty good for mixing multiple video clips but isn't too intuitive for me to use.