Thread: Rza donates 30 iPads to Staten Island elementary school

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Rza donates 30 iPads to Staten Island elementary school

RZA donates 30 iPads to PS 78: ‘Never stop dreaming’
    Updated Feb 28, 2020; Posted Feb 27, 2020

By Annalise Knudson | [email protected]

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- – “Never stop dreaming,” was the advice that RZA -- rapper, record producer, actor and founding member of the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan -- gave to students at PS 78, Stapleton, on Thursday.

RZA, along with RZA’s sister Sofia Diggs and Lucille Belyayev of the Children’s Literacy Society -- which works to allocate educational resources to children’s in Staten Island schools -- attended an assembly at the school to celebrate their donation of 30 brand new iPad Pros.

The donation came about after teacher Jo Ann Accardi tweeted RZA last May, asking if he could help donate new technology to her students.

“I’m here today because one of your teachers sent me a tweet on my Twitter and she said that there wasn’t enough iPads, just enough to go around…,”RZA said to the students. “I reached out to my Wu-Tang brothers and Apple, and we have some iPads here going to the school and going to your classes so you guys have a better chance for a proper education.”

Accardi recalled that she began a fundraiser for five Google Chromebooks, but RZA and the Children’s Literacy Society said that wasn’t enough for the students, and inquired about how many kids were in need of the technology.

It was decided that 30 iPads would be donated. "So with that, I can reach everybody now,” a grateful Accardi said.

After RZA’s speech, students were able to ask a few questions, such as how long he lived on Staten Island, what his favorite school subjects were, when he made his first song and when he knew he wanted to become a rapper.

The new iPads will help all students at the school, Accardi said.

“I have so many various levels in the room, I have English language learners, students with disabilities, general ed students, so we have all these programs under the DOE [Department of Education], but you need to have technology to use them,” she said. “So now this will be the bridge in order to get these kids reading on grade level, solving math problems on grade level. It kind of gives them tailored education.”

Principal Jodi Contento said it is important that RZA was able to talk with students because he serves as a role model.

“I really want to emphasize that any time somebody who has roots in the community comes back to share their successes, that’s the most priceless thing we could have for our school,” said Contento. “It’s all about bringing in the positive role models. We know how much is out there that is not always positive for us to see. Having those positive models and success stories are tremendous.”

Students even asked if RZA would be willing to create a new school song for PS 78, which he said he would work on.

At the end of the event, Accardi gifted RZA with a box of snacks, and a wooden piece signed by PS 78 students, resembling the Wu-Tang Clan symbol and the number 78.

“I still got dreams to fulfill,” RZA told the students. “Never stop dreaming, all right?”

'Laptop ni**az / thugs on a computer'

when i was in school, we were lucky to get new erasers from the student store. nothing ever good enough for shadynasty and his entourage of dickheads

I’m proud of Rza for doing this + Good to see him back in S.I.

Thanks Rza, Sofia Diggs and Lucille Belyayev. This is how you effect change. Not through a corrupt government, but through your own individual actions.

PRODIGAL SUN

good for rza

Masta Killa came through too. Props for the lowkey charity work.

Jamel Irief Allah Is For The Children: Masta Killa Donates to 2020 Show & Prove Scholarship Awards
    https://fivepercentmedia.com/jamel-i...h-masta-killa/

Righteously known as Jamel Irief Allah, the No Said Date lyricist joined forces with the Show and Prove Advisory board to sponsor the 49th annual Show and Prove Scholarship Awards. He hones tolerance towards a pivotal understanding about our youth and their education. In a statement to Five Percent Media, Jamel Irief highlights the supreme potential endured by our youth and the duty of a civilized person when it comes to our children.

“The babies are indeed our future. Through the extended version of our lives, through their eyes we live forever,” he said. “In order to be closer to seeing that day as a nation, it can only start by providing the proper education and information of infinite knowledge that unlocks the keys to the universe.”

In order to qualify as a recipient for this year’s Show and Prove Scholarship award, each student must be either a 2020 high school graduate, or currently attending a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) in 2020-2021. They were also required to be active in a community service effort.

Each recipient was awarded with a brand new version Apple MacBook Air or Apple iPad Air and recognized with a certificate from the advisory board. The package for each gadget was adorned with an image of the Universal Flag and a strip of paper slated with wisdom from Masta Killa saying, “Jamel Irief For The Children.”

One can only travel as far as he or she can see. So it’s our duty to any said person of that ability to give the best opportunity to our children for a brighter future,” Masta builds with Five Percent Media. “This is my motivation for being apart of this year’s Show and Prove scholarship awards.

He concluded the statement by showing appreciation to Allah B and Black Justice for allowing him the “opportunity to help further the education for the babies of the Universal Nation.”

Yeah that's peace

{>____<}

This is good news. At least people are about the kids.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty