Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run The Jewels 4 Dropping Soon

^^I never knew that, thanks for the info. I caught on to RTJ mostly after the 1st & 2nd album had been released already

Killa Mike solo is dope too. I gotta listen some more to El-P's solo joints

one of my buddies is a HUGE RTJ fan, gonna ask him whether he copped the physicals of the previous installments

peace

I never would have guessed 10 years ago that El-P would be making a song with the artist formerly known as Titty Boi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    ^^I never knew that, thanks for the info. I caught on to RTJ mostly after the 1st & 2nd album had been released already

Killa Mike solo is dope too. I gotta listen some more to El-P's solo joints

one of my buddies is a HUGE RTJ fan, gonna ask him whether he copped the physicals of the previous installments

peace
    I was never really a Killer Mike fan before he hooked up with EL-P. I only checked out Run The Jewels because of how dope EL-P is. His solos are dope as hell, his beats for CanOx, the Company Flow shit, all the Def Jux shit.

If you looking at EL-P's solo stuff, I'd maybe start with Cancer 4 Cure... it's probably his most accessible album. Some seriously dope joints on there!

I think the free downloads for the first 3 albums, plus Meow The Jewels, are all still available on the RTJ website.

Peace!

^ Killer Mike destroyed on the old OutKast stuff. His debut album had some jams.

El-P's work, especially his production in the late 90s/early 00s is straight classic. You have to be in the right mood, cos it's really intense stuff. I think both their careers were kind of floundering at the same time so it was perfect timing when they started working together on the Killer Mike LP.

^^Yeah I remember Mike from a couple of old Outkast joints, but I never really checked for him solo.

And I definitely agree that you gotta be in the right mood for some of EL-P's early stuff.

That Killer Mike album that EL-P produced is dope though, so many good joints on there.

Peace!

They make a good duo. I wish we had more duos in hip hop now. Seems like lot of people go solo now.

Producer/Emcee + Emcee combos. We could list a bunch of great ones.

In the old days a DJ favored an Emcee. And often the DJ's also emceed. Same formula.

on my first listen ... sounds good so far!

fav track after a few spins : 'Holy Calamafuck'

dope album

I really like 'never look back', sounds like some Blade Runner shit.

Sounds like their best album yet to me.

^^I've had the album on almost constant rotation since it dropped. imo this is their best album yet. It's fairly short at only 11 tracks so it feels nice and tight, cohesive. So many dope joints on here, I don't think there's a weak track.

Favourites at the min are...

Goonies vs. E.T. - when Mike comes in for his verse in the last 45 seconds of the song, absolutely destroys it!

Walking In The Snow - Again Mike's verse just kills it. Love the hook by Gangsta Boo as well. Sounds hard a fvck!

Ju$t - Damn, even Pharrell sounds dope on a RTJ track! ZDLR kills it at the end.

Peace!

Critics are going nuts over this. I think it was perfect timing for the release, given RTJ's usual subject matter. I wouldn't say its a 10/10 like that, but I'm still enjoying the album.

I agree about the timing.

official lyric video