Thread: This weekend is the 25th Anniversary of ODB's debut album...

Default This weekend is the 25th Anniversary of ODB's debut album...

So this weekend marks the 25th anniversary of Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version.

Personally, this is an absolute classic for me! So much better than Meth's debut but still produced in that gritty early RZA style, before it got more cinematic with Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords.

I think I read somewhere that it took Dirty around 18 months to record the album. Not sure how true that is though. I think it might have been Meth that said it in an interview. Dirt ended up putting the same verse on the album two or three times on different tracks because he was recording over such a long period.

If anyone hasn't checked out Buddha Monk's book about Dirty, I would definitely recommend giving it a read. Lots of information on the recording process of this album, etc.

What's y'all favourite joints on this album???

For me, there's 3 tracks in a row that are back-to-back-to-back classics... Snakes, Brooklyn Zoo II (Tiger Crane) and Protect Ya Neck II The Zoo.

Ghost's verse on Brooklyn Zoo II is brutal, ill as hell, love that shit! I do rock a heavily edited version of this joint on my playlist though, taking out the little snippet bits after Ghosts verse, cutting straight to the reprise, then editing out the crowd part at the end.

Protect Ya Neck II is dope as well, it is so grimy it gives the original PYN a run for its money!!

Peace!

Bought this in 96 on cassette. I listened the shit out of that tape, then, maybe 2002 or 03, bought the CD. 1 of the albums that got me through high school. Great memories. Can't pick a favourite song, cause there's too many, but enjoyed Damage & Snakes (RZA's & Killa's verses!) the most. Overall classic without a doubt, no other LP like this 1. When I bumped it in front of "non-initiated" friends their reaction was like "WTF!?" lmfao.

Out now on all platforms!

https://lnk.to/RTT36C25

Peace CT

Snakes is one of all time favorite tracks. Wu music at its best. Peace

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Crazy asf

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    Personally, this is an absolute classic for me! So much better than Meth's debut but still produced in that gritty early RZA style, before it got more cinematic with Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords.
    good analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    What's y'all favourite joints on this album???
    I like all of the album but apart from the tracks you mentioned specifically I have a wu soft spot for the intro (possibly the best intro ever on a rap album) and the throwback vibe of Hippa To Da Hoppa

nada ignorante

Forever classic album. My fav joint has to be Snakes.
    N.I.

nada ignorante

this site be buggin
    N.I.

PRODIGAL SUN

This still strikes me as 1 of the best produced solos that rarely gets beatwork credit, glad it got that 500,000 sales bump though, dirt probably somewhre finishing a cup of moon fruit juice...