Thread: Masta Killa Wants RZA To Produce Final Wu-Tang LP

Default Masta Killa Wants RZA To Produce Final Wu-Tang LP

Masta Killa Trusts Ghostface Killah But Wants RZA To Produce Wu-Tang Clan's Final Album

RZA has handed over stewardship of Wu-Tang Clan’s next album to Ghostface Killah, whose ear for beats has fans excited about the LP’s potential direction. While Wu-Tang’s own Masta Killa recognizes the enthusiasm for this Ironman-led project, he thinks the album shouldn’t — or perhaps can’t — be the legendary group’s last LP.
    In an interview with HipHopDX, Masta Killa discussed Ghostface taking on a leadership role for the proper follow-up to 2014’s A Better Tomorrow. The thoughtful lyricist expressed confidence in Ghost being the orchestrator but explained why he wants RZA in charge of Wu-Tang’s eventual swan song.
    “I’m going to tell you really and truthfully how I see it,” he told DX. “It doesn’t matter who does the Wu-Tang Clan album, but RZA has to do the last one because RZA’s The Abbot. I trust his judgment, his ear for music.”
    He continued, “See, one thing that people have to understand is that in the beginning, a lot of those beats and a lot of those creative thoughts of energy was brought about because we were together more than ever. So, if someone wasn’t as pleased with the production side of things, well, we can’t just point the finger at one person. We all have to take credibility in that because we might not have been in the chamber as much as we once were to influence that direction.”
    In Masta Killa’s mind, there’s a clear solution to Wu-Tang’s past squabbles over RZA’s production. According to him, the nine living members need to devote more time to being in the studio together.
    “I know for a fact RZA got about a million beats,” he chuckled. “If we was in the chamber and we just said, ‘Yo, let’s just run through some, just play us [some beats]. We gon’ stay here for a week and just play joints.’ Oh, we would pick 10 that would definitely bring you right back to that essence core of what you would classify as classic Wu-Tang sound but that’s the togetherness. That’s the all in together that makes this what it is.”
    While Masta Killa has a deep trust in RZA, he has plenty of faith in Ghostface’s abilities too. The veteran MC knows Ghost is capable of steering the Wu-Tang ship but simply believes no one can replicate what RZA brings to the group.

“I love Ghost’s ear for music,” he explained. “I love the beat selection that he chooses. We have a similar style when it comes to the soulful beats that he loves. So, I love his ear for music. But no one is ever gonna do it like The Abbot. That’s just my opinion. I’m sure if Ghost puts something together it’ll be dynamic because, like I said, he has a beautiful ear for music. But If The Abbot is not in his seat, we’re gonna always miss that.”
    He concluded, “If you look at the Wu-Tang albums and everyone’s first solo album, that’s all RZA. That’s like betting against Dr. Dre. I’m never gonna bet against Dr. Dre!”
    Check back soon for DX’s full interview with Masta Killa.

He's 100% right. I always said that RZA beats aint sharp as they used to but it's the lack of energy in spittin the reason the track doesn't sound as good as they could.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post
    He's 100% right. I always said that RZA beats aint sharp as they used to but it's the lack of energy in spittin the reason the track doesn't sound as good as they could.

Peace CT

MK and probably Meth are by far the most loyal Clan members. This is 100 percent how a final Clan album should go down. Don’t see how anyone would disagree with this. Peace

It doesn’t matter Wu tang are irrelevant now + there’s no way Ghostface should be in charge of producing a clan album. lol

Even better yet.

Force him to use nothing but an ASR-10, Ensoniq 16+, and SP 1200 and adat machines and cassette tape machines. No computers DAWS or other over produced over processed bullshit. Only outboard FX machines maybe give him an old Kurzweil k2500S or Roland W30. No analog to digital conversion until the very final stage. bring back the tascam 122 cassette tape slapback. Do something how Papa Wu would do it.

i'm with him 100% on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    Even better yet.

Force him to use nothing but an ASR-10, Ensoniq 16+, and SP 1200 and adat machines and cassette tape machines. No computers DAWS or other over produced over processed bullshit. Only outboard FX machines maybe give him an old Kurzweil k2500S or Roland W30. No analog to digital conversion until the very final stage. bring back the tascam 122 cassette tape slapback. Do something how Papa Wu would do it.

PRODIGAL SUN

no doubt

lol how many FINAL Wu albums are there going to be?

Here, I'm handing out late passes

^ I don't think any of the previous albums were billed as a final anything. MK is basically saying if Ghostface is doing the next one, he wants at least one more helmed by RZA.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    if Ghostface is doing the next one, he wants at least one more helmed by RZA.

By the time they release this final album, they’ll be in their 60’s (at least Gza will be) lol.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I like the idea of using older production equipment. I think will help contribute to the more murky, boom bap sound we are frothing for.

yea i hope when they finally go out, Rza just gets a ASR 10 or SP 1200 and go out with a bang with everyone in the studio daily dedicated.

matter of fact, this covid 19 period would have been ideal for these guys to come together, lockdown for about 2 weeks and actually rekindle the essence of what made wutang what it is in the first place

but what do i know..