Thread: Discogs (internet music database)

Thumbs up Discogs (internet music database)

Yo guys, what's up. I'm just posting this up to tell y'all about www.Discogs.com.

This is a user-built database where you can manage your music collection (just like iMDB for movies), manage a list of records you want to buy in the future, sell your records, or buy records from users who want to sell them.

I'm trying to recruit new submitters, especially hip hop submitters, because the majority of users in the database submit in the electronic genre. I'm sure many of you could contribute to making the hip hop database more complete, for right now it is very incomplete. At this moment, there are 540,030 releases in the electronic genre compared to 49,931 releases for Hip Hop.

I'm also signed up to the database as Iron_Fist, and I'm right now a Rock and Hip Hop moderator, i.e. I can vote on submissions (yes/no) to process them (needs two vote).

Anyway, if you're a music fanatic, a DJ, or if you want to manage your vinyl/CD/Cassette/.../ collection, SIGN UP ! You'll have lots of fun
    "That little baby you have in your arms is going to die of heart failure before you do, if you keep feeding her/him trash."
    "If we treated America the way it has treated our people, we would be called terrorists, rapists, thieves, murderers."

- Immortal Technique -

R.I.P. ODB
    R.I.P. Poetic

It would take me forever to try to build my entire collection on the site. But I've at least added some of my purchases to my online collection.

https://www.discogs.com/user/Sense-A/collection

Most of the records I buy are old. I've bought some recently pressed vinyl and been very disappointed. For example, I got a repress of the Outkast - Atliens album. First record had a huge dimple in it that my needle was hopping on. Got a replacement and the intro tracks on both sides sound like shit. The quality control in vinyl pressing has gone down hill since the 80s and 90s.

Ah man that's really shitty. It's lame when the product is lacking.

I never was into vinyl.

Discogs was a great help over the years for collecting Wu and other acts like Heather Nova. Price differences between European countries make comparisons interesting to get the best deal. I often ordered in Germany and France. I stopped buying circa 2018.

I'll have a look at your collection right now.

The link gave me a 404?

I had to change my privacy settings. Should work now.

I have over 10,000 records I've collected over the last 20 years.

I've spent countless hours crate digging.

It would take me a month to inventory everything. It's hard enough to just keep them organized and contained in one room, floor to ceiling.

I actually love the LP Reverb platform but they shut it down about a year ago.

Discogs has the better database but LP Reverb was easier to shop and navigate.

Also, LP Reverb used to have record auctions which were cool and better than fleabay.