Thread: Name ONE album that best represents the 90s sound you love most

Default Name ONE album that best represents the 90s sound you love most

I'm talking a combination of lyrics and production

I say let's leave Wu-Tang out of the equation as we know we all got much love for nineties Wu anyway

MY PICK : Redman - 'Dare Iz A Darkside'

the funny thing (which made me want to make this thread) is that I never listened to this album much. in fact, I only bought it a while back (not in the nineties). whenever I do play it now, it sounds like the quintessential nineties album to me. I like the beats better on here than on his 1st and 3rd album. I all bought them at the same time btw.

more so than the lyrics (which are great) it's the stripped down yet somewhat funky beats on here that best represent the 90s sound I love

if I had to go w/ albums that got a lot of play back in the nineties I'd have ended up w/ more commercial gangsta rappers. Whose records I still play more than Redman lol (nostalgia?)

Veteran Member

Big Punisher - Capital Punishment would definitely be one for me. Boom-bappy beats are the 90's to me and Pun just rhymes like he is on another planet. I hear people talk down on "rappity-rap", but that is what I love about hip-hop so much....I don't necessarily care about a message usually, I just want punchlines and shit that makes me make an ugly face. Pun does that on here.

Definitely a lot of nostalgia here but I still listen to this quite a bit.

Peace

nada ignorante

It Was Written - Nas

Takes me back to my middle school years nostalgia is a major factor, but the production and the mafioso vibe fits the album so well.
    N.I.

Peace CT

Flip a coin, Hell on Earth or War Report. Peace

Default assuming were not counting wu albums...

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Great pick

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

War Report is an excellent choice. Tragedy Khadafi helmed that album perfectly. Had Noreaga sounding the best he ever has.

Veteran Member

Someone should change the title to "best of the 90's"...Some great picks here

If we are talking full on 90's nostalgia vibes, I'd have to go for either Cypress Hill - Temples of Boom or 2Pac - All Eyez On Me.

The 2Pac album was the first hip-hop album I actually bought. Before that, I used to make cassette dubs of albums that my friends had. I still remember the first time I heard 36 Chambers on a shitty cassette dub that a friend had made for me... sat in my bedroom with my crappy walkman headphones. I remember it like it was yesterday!

I must have bumped that Pac album for about a year straight haha. So many bangers on that album. I was only 14 at the time so I was all about the westcoast gangstas, the party jams, etc. This was before I got heavier in to the Wu.

I got the Cypress Hill joint on an old cassette dub too... still one of my personal favourite albums of all time now.

Peace!

Hell On Earth

double post, delete this one please.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 06-09-2020 at 04:28 AM.

^^I love Hell On Earth. I didn't start listening to Mobb Deep until probably the early '00's though. Just one of those groups that took a while to click with me for some reason. I prefer Hell on Earth over The Infamous. If I'm in the mood for some Mobb Deep, it's always Hell On Earth I go to first. P was in his prime in '96 imo.

Peace!

nada ignorante

This album up there too, its no wonder 96 is my fav year from the golden era.

N.I.

^^Ahhh man I loved that album! So many good picks in this thread, taking me waaaaay back!

The first solo album by Pras is one of my guilty pleasure albums... some real pop-rap shit on there, but a few decent joints as well.

Peace!