Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best label compilation album?

Question What is the best label compilation album?

I was listening to this yesterday

strong comp imo

but there might be even stronger label compilations out there (any label, I mean)

what's the best label comp in your opinion?

peace

nada ignorante

my fav compilation would be:

N.I.

nada ignorante

best soundtrack imo:

N.I.

very strong picks both

Deathrow Greatest Hits volume 1

^^great comp! so many bangers on there. this double set is a real westcoast history lesson

ir's too bad Death Row's remix game was lacking though, most remixes were a snooze fest
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 06-13-2020 at 09:48 AM.

DR also put out some great label helmed OSTs

Yeah I had that Death Row comp as a teenager, first thing I had from DR. I like some of the remixes, 'Smile For Me Now' is better than the other version imo. Just listened to a few of the other remixes, very generic G-Funk.

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    Deathrow Greatest Hits volume 1
    Agreed best comp from the 90s it had some unreleased songs from Dogg Pound too

But if we count new released material Id stick with the first Violator compilation.
    Last edited by hotnikks; 06-14-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    N.I.

ShaDynasty is right about Soundbombing 1 and 2 belonging in the discussion. Those albums were so refreshing when they came out and gave underground indie hop hop some time in the spotlight. Rawkus was on fire back then.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Rawkus was so awesome. They should have never gone out of business.. James Murdoch had waaaay more than enough funds to keep it running.

Yeah it's def a shame what happened to Rawkus. They had a good run of nearly flawless albums for a while there

I was trying to find out who designed the Death Row Records logo. There's another version where the guy has a hood over his head. I think it was drawn by Hen Dogg.

Suge Knight's friend Henry "Hen Dog" Smith was murdered in South Central LA. Hen Dog is most famous for designing the Death Row Records logo. He was reportedly killed by someone believed to be a Mob Piru rival while waiting in his car while his girlfriend used a payphone.

Six days later, Bountry's brother allegedly tried to kill someone in retaliation, but was spotted by police and arrested before he could carry it out. An LA Times article covering both stories is linked here.
    Hen Dog, who claimed he was in the Death Row entourage in Las Vegas when Tupac was shot, had been interviewed by Russell Poole and his partner during their Biggie Smalls murder investigation, and had told them he had "heard that Baby Lane, from Southside Crips, killed Tupac in Las Vegas." He also said that "he heard that Bad Boy Entertainment had used Southside Crips as security."
    producer Erotic D, who has worked many of the iconic figures in hip-hop history including, but not limited to, Dr. Dre, D.O.C., MC Breed, Eazy-E, Suge Knight, Snoop Dogg and others.:

"Dre and them would be having BBQs every week and he had a studio at his house, so I would go over there and hang out in the studio. I didn't go out and party and sh-t, that just wasn't for me. Once we got up there with Suge all kinds of sh-t started happening, he started the label with DOC, Funky Enough Records. That sh-t didn't work and before you know it was called Death Row." http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/eroticd-part1/
    Jerry Heller on being hip-hop's most hated https://ew.com/article/2007/01/04/je...ps-most-hated/
    The most chilling part of the book is when you recall how Eazy suggested that you should have Death Row’s Suge Knight killed when it became clear that he was trying to poach Dr. Dre.

When he said it, there was no question in my mind that he was serious. I said, ”Let’s think this through. We’re the most successful start-up record company in history, and you want to kill somebody and go to jail for the rest of your life?” I said, ”Maybe I’m not a wartime consigliere, but that just makes no sense to me.”
    THE MAKING OF THE CHRONIC https://www.laweekly.com/the-making-of-the-chronic/
    ALONZO WILLIAMS: The name Death Row came from my partner, Unknown [DJ]. Initially it was supposed to be Def Row, as in Def Jam. D-E-F. And Dre bought the name Def Row and changed the name.

DICK GRIFFEY: They were housed in my building, so they didn't have a lot of expenses. The greatest expense in making a record is the studio time. I had a six-story building. They were down on the third floor. … Since I didn't have a lot of experience in rap or hip-hop, I kind of let them do their own thing.

JEFFREY JOLSON-COLBURN (former Hollywood Reporter music editor): There had been gangsta rap before [Death Row], and Priority Records and some other labels were active in it, but there wasn't a label that was totally dedicated to gangsta rap. There was hardly a name for it then. It was just hard-core street rap, and N.W.A summed up the scene the best.

DR DRE*: Suge's role was handling the day-to-day business, dealing with artists, dealing with distributors and record companies. My job was to push these buttons and make the records happen.

SNOOP DOGG: Back then, Suge was very behind-the-scenes and helpful and quiet, humble, nonvisible. He didn't like cameras. He was the invisible man.

VIRGIL ROBERTS (attorney and former Solar president): The initial understanding was that [rapper] D.O.C. and Dre and Dick and Suge would be partners in this company.

ALONZO WILLIAMS: Everyone was following Dre, because people knew Dre was The Man. Everything he touched was gold or platinum, or better.

JOHN PAYNE: (studio engineer): The [influx] of talent was the result of people wanting to work for Dre and not a result of Suge going out and finding them. Dre was the only asset the company had. He was actually the most bankable person at that time — pretty much in the industry — from the R&B and rap standpoint.

NATE DOGG: Everybody was taking direction from Dre, as he knows what he's doing. He just finished doing N.W.A albums … so you have confidence. You've watched this man make money.

SNOOP DOGG: The first tape [of mine] that Warren G gave Dre was the one that hooked me up. When he finally got a chance to hear me, I was ready. I didn't want to rap for him until I was ready. … Warren G and Nate Dogg were my best friends, and we formed 213. We didn't have drum machines back then, just records, turntables and a microphone. Warren G called me and was, like, “Snoop, I got Dre on the phone, he liked the tape, he wants to work with us.” And I said, “Nigga, stop lying.” And someone said, “Hello?” And I said, “Who's this?” And he said, “It's Dre. Man, that shit was dope. I want to get with you. Come to the studio Monday.”

NATE DOGG: At that time, it was a dream to just be in the same room with Dre. Dre wanted us to come to the studio? I'd have jogged up there if I didn't have a car.

SNOOP DOGG: It was me, D.O.C., Lady of Rage and Warren G. Then I brought RBX and Kurupt and Daz. And Jewell was down there, too. She was there from the beginning. It was a change from Dre's house to Solar Records. We were in an environment where real records were being made.

NATE DOGG: [W]hen Dre walked in, it was time to work. All work and no play.