Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RZA Shares His Love For U-God Despite Bitter 3-Year Lawsuit

Default RZA Shares His Love For U-God Despite Bitter 3-Year Lawsuit

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Damn Uey.. SMH

nada ignorante

U-gods credit card aint come thru LOL. RZA is a mastermind for that.
    N.I.

Lol U-God never comes off well in these things. Calling the production after Wu Forever wack? He loses all credibility right there.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

The production had definitely fallen off in some regards, but definitely not wack, except maybe for A Better Tomorrow.

nada ignorante

The W was a dope album in all regards.
    N.I.

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

The W = Mad dope
    Iron Flag = Dope
    8 Diagrams = Dope
    A Better Tomorrow = That I will agree is wack

Shaolin Student

Post-Forever has some good production, but the albums were missing something. They lacked the aggression of the 92-97 era. I think that the lack of the apocalypse that they were all expecting deflated them. Also Rza moving to LA, as I recall him saying, switched his “polarity” from negative to positive. If the beats lack the aggression so will the rhymes.

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    The W was a dope album in all regards.
    agreed. it still sounds like vintage wu to me

lyrically of course Forever tops them all and in terms of sheer aggression Enter was the best

can't beat those first three albums though. The W was a worthy successor (some fan service on that album of course, but what's bad about that, I ask you) knowing that Forever is untouchable and will remain hiphop HISTORY

Initially The W was a let down for me, grew on me over the years though.

The W stands for wack. That album was the beginning of the end for Wu tang.

Chamber Music, Careful, Hollow Bones, Redbull, Protect Ya Neck (The Jumpoff), Do You Really (Thang Thang) : classic Wu imho but that's just me

I Can't Go To Sleep & Gravel Pit : good singles

Let My Niggas Live : good album track

other tracks : decent to ehh. Idk what they were trying to pull off w/ The Monument, I remember that track giving me a headache

apart from The Monument sometimes I can let the whole album play through and get that Wu vibe off it

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

The W is classic to me. Never understood the hate for Monument either - the beat is so raw! Three different sample flips in the same track?! Kinda reminds me of a late-era J Dilla.

Quote Originally Posted by CL2coming View Post
    The W is classic to me. Never understood the hate for Monument either - the beat is so raw! Three different sample flips in the same track?! Kinda reminds me of a late-era J Dilla.
    gonna try and get into that track tonight, listening to it a few times back to back - it might click with me after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by CL2coming View Post
    I think a lot of the hate for the Monument, and The W album as a whole, was due to the guest MC's.

I remember a lot of people at the time thinking why do they need to put all these guest verses on when you got A 9/10 man crew??? I can understand Redman, and even Nas to a certain extent... but why put Snoop on Conditioner? The only track on the album with ODB, and they only put Snoop on the track with him?! They could have put another couple of generals on there. Same for Busta on the Monument, he brought nothing to the album with that verse imo, another general could have took that spot.

I do love The W album though... it took me a long time to warm up to it. I remember hearing the Ghost Dog soundtrack and thinking oh shit the next Wu album is going to be dope as hell with beats similar to this... then when The W dropped I was instantly disappointed. It grew on me a lot though and it's got some of my all time favourite Wu joints on there... Careful, Hollow Bones, Redbull, Jah World.

Peace!