Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The W album - Original Tracklisting/Sequencing...

Default The W album - Original Tracklisting/Sequencing...

So the recent discussion about The W album in the other thread made me remember about the copy of The W that I've got on CD. I can't remember if I posted it here before.

The back cover was printed up with a completely different running order, but then when the order was changed for whatever reason, they stuck a sticker over the top of the jewel case. So if you take the back cover out of the jewel case you can see what the original sequencing was set to be.

Anyone got any idea why they changed it...?

Looking at the tracklist, it looks like it originally had the full version of Shaolin Finger Jab. Maybe the order was changed when that track had to be removed?

[IMG][/IMG]

I might try bumping the album in this sequence later today, see how it plays.

Peace!

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Nice, would love to hear the full version of Shaolin Finger Jab.. I have always wanted to hear Uzi(Pinky Ring) late night mix, but do not have the vinyl and cannot find it on YouTube..

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    So the recent discussion about The W album in the other thread made me remember about the copy of The W that I've got on CD. I can't remember if I posted it here before.

The back cover was printed up with a completely different running order, but then when the order was changed for whatever reason, they stuck a sticker over the top of the jewel case. So if you take the back cover out of the jewel case you can see what the original sequencing was set to be.

Anyone got any idea why they changed it...?

Looking at the tracklist, it looks like it originally had the full version of Shaolin Finger Jab. Maybe the order was changed when that track had to be removed?

[IMG][/IMG]

I might try bumping the album in this sequence later today, see how it plays.

Peace!
    1st time hearing/seeing that. Would love to hear it in that order, but we don't have the Jah World intro & intermission, the whole Shaolin Finger Jab & the outro. Bet RZA changed the order in the last second, so they had to slap the sticker over it. Show it here if U can.

this is also new to me

My copy did not come w/ the sticker. I bought the album right when it dropped but maybe it dropped a bit later in Europe than in the US. mine has the definitive tracklist in the inside tray

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Rae had Shaolin Finger Jab removed from the album. Not sure why, but that's what Bobby told me. Wuki had the instrumental, the real one not a loop, you can hear some rhymes in the far far back ground if you listen closely.

^Wow that's a great information. I wish we knew why RZA ddi that

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

This is what the jewel case looks like with the sticker over the top covering the original tracklisting...

[IMG][/IMG]

I wonder why Rae wanted Shaolin Finger Jab taking off...? Ringz, did RZA give any info on why Rae wanted it removing? Didn't like the beat, wasn't happy with his verse?

This is why Wu started to decline imo... because RZA was giving too much input to the other generals, or maybe just trying to keep everyone happy. I remember reading an interview around the release of The W where he said people were catching feelings and that he used to cut peoples rhymes if they were wack, but now he's leaving them in even though they're wack.

Peace!

The RZA "dictatorship" resulted in better quality music/albums than the democracy.

^^Agree 100%.

Why would RZA listen to Rae when it comes to sequencing albums and deciding which tracks to leave off, etc.? Rae has never been able to make a great album without RZA's input (imo). Even Cuban Linx II is very patchy for me, and far too long. If we ever got to hear the original RZA version, I think it would have been way better and more cinematic... joints like State of Grace, etc.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutman View Post
    The RZA "dictatorship" resulted in better quality music/albums than the democracy.
    I agree as well. there was an overall vision and RZA had a particular cohesive sound in mind for every member's solo album that was still 'related' to the overall wu group sound

I do understand RZA let go of that. when you read about the time and effort he put into that period you feel like he hardly ever got out of 'beat basements' and life kind of passed him by outside of music

@Pattch82: thanks for posting that pic w/ the sticker

I wonder if this is the version most people bought (w/ the sticker I mean)

^^I'm not sure.

The album booklet also has the incorrect tracklisting too, I've upped some photos. Doesn't really provide any additional info though, i.e. track length, etc. for the Intermission and Outro.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Peace!

Shaolin Student

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Nice, would love to hear the full version of Shaolin Finger Jab.. I have always wanted to hear Uzi(Pinky Ring) late night mix, but do not have the vinyl and cannot find it on YouTube..
    Sorry to dissapoint, but the Pinky Ring (Late Night Mix) is nothing special. In fact it sounds like a demo in its sound quality. I’ve uploaded a link to the dirty version off the following release (track 3):

https://www.discogs.com/Wu-Tang-Clan...elease/2826335

Basically there is the dirty version (uncensored), late night mix (partially censored), and radio edit (censored). I think the main difference between the late night mix and radio edit is the late night mix says “uzi”, and the radio edit replaces it with gun shots. But there may be some other differences as well. The biggest difference between this version and the final version is that the beat doesn’t sound finished (sound quality is inferior, and there’s no switch up). The rip I uploaded is from the promo cd, and I’ve never heard the vinyl version, but you would think that they would be identical. But with the Wu you just never know.

http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?e...rigin=download

Veteran Member

Default Uzi (Pinky Ring) Late Nite Mix

Last edited by mantis_fist; 06-18-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added title

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

On the topic of lost tracks.... did anyone ever get hold of "Big Horn" from A Better Tomorrow? It was a bonus track on the Boombotix speaker - but never seemed to leak? Someone on this forum must have that damn speaker.

There was a tiny snippet in a youtube video years ago but can't find it.

Cilva?