Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The W album - Original Tracklisting/Sequencing...

tbh you could re-release the main catalogue albums w/ a different cover and remastering and a lot of fans would still buy that, even if no other extras were included

Damn, sounds like you should take over the marketing department of a record company. You have some good ideas.

In the last years I talked to various people. And indeed within the hip hop scene there are loads of rappers. But few of them are true artists willing to go beyond what they made and keep thinking about the future. This makes money, so we stick with that. You can recognize a sort of street or hustler mentality in it. At the moment, after all these years, this is very visible in how rappers of the 90's have evolved into the new landscape of the music industry. Have they adapted, or are they still selling digital albums at $20 a pop. While offering next to no added value.

Plus I think it speaks volumes when some of those people are on the road constantly doing the same show. I can hardly imagine that 10-15 years of touring is healthy. Let alone doing the same sort of show over and over. I've had various conversations about how artists should step back from the light. Go on a trip or something, like Ghost went to Africa. And work anew based upon those new experiences. Otherwise they're stuck in a sort of 9-5 performance job. (This reminded me how crazy it was to see Divine in the doc, saying how he invested all his money in housing. While sitting on a boat in a marina.)

Better yet, give me the reels and tapes from Rza's flooded basement and I will do a forensic level restoration.

Clean, Dry, Repair and Disinfect Electronic Media
    https://www.restorationsos.com/educa...ctronic-media/
    Video and Audio Cassettes and Reel to Reel Tapes
    If there are no master copies, dismantle the cassette and wash the tape on its reel with lukewarm water. Support the tape vertically and air dry it, or air dry by laying it on absorbent sheets. The box can be air dried as well.
    If the reels are dirty, remove the tape and wash the reel with detergent and water. An alternative is to replace the reel. Return the tape to its original box, after the box has dried.
    Remember when Deck was releasing The Movement, and we were told some of the disks from the Basement were working again? I recently listened to that album again. I do wonder if any of them ended up on that album.

With the improvement in technology, this does sound like an avenue to pursuit. The only thing is, how has the media deteriorated? Are those tapes even still available? And how were they storaged in the last +/- 25 years?

When it was announced that OUATIS was going to be released on a CD, I was a bit amazed. The last years, more and more was written about CD rot. This is the process where 10 year old CD's start rotting, and become unreadable. This is especially so for cheap CD-R's. And also the cheaper pressed CD's. Other than that, the CD is not a timeless medium with easy access. It needs a DAC to translate the code. Rather a golden record as was included in the Voyager with be more timeless and easier to listen to in the future.

How many special anniversary edition albums do ypu know in hiphop? Nas' debut got the double disc treatment. First example that comes to mind
    He had a 10 year anniversary. After that was the 20 year & a tour. Shiiiit. He milked that cow until he had blisters on his fingers.

Ow shit, I just remembered a poll on this website. This is way back. But we were asked if we wanted In Stereo in 5.1, the instrumentals or the film. I believe the film eventually found its way to some select film festivals. But that 5.1 In Stereo. Now that is something RZA should go for. Especially with the rise of DSD or Hi-Res streaming as an option. As far as I know, only N*E*R released an album like that on DVD-Audio. But I never got my hands on it. I did however managed to score a copy of the Splinter Cell 3 soundtrack by Amon Tobin in 5.1. On a 5.1 HiFi set, that shit is fucking bonkers. RZA was always looking forward from a technological standpoint, I think he missed out here.

This is something I think Wu will never understand... they can't clear a sample so it just gets removed from the record and sits in the vault. Why not put that shit out online for the fans to hear? Can you imagine if RZA started going through his vaults and dropped a load of stuff that never made it to the albums, or was taken off albums, or just unreleased shit... drop the music for free alongside a big clothing and merch line and a big tour to coincide with it. Shit would be crazy!
    This is valid. I remember when in 2004 a Dutch hip hop group released a double album. The second disc was empty, but burnable. You only had to go to the website to download the second cd. Mind you, this was 2004. The options nowadays are way more.

But in the end, the masses are fine with a re-release on final with just a few stickers slapped on there. And some rappers are just fine with touring untill the end of the world.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

^^on what you said about concerts : I hate it when rappers basically do the same set for years on end, mostly their debut breakthrough album, while being in the studio cranking out a new album a year and never performing any of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again : there's a lot of rappers out there who wouldn't for the life them remember the lyrics to most of the tracks if the audience were given the chance to request songs on the spot. also think of ALL those guest features that have never ever been performed live
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 06-29-2020 at 04:20 AM.

I swear I have been to 100% identical Snoop Dogg concerts with years in between, even while he had new hits on the radio on that second occasion. just one of (sadly) many examples I could list. Wu tang example : GZA. (Horrible live performer too btw, very low energy on stage delivery)

^^ I agree 100% about GZA... I'm going to see him again in a couple of months, Liquid Swords 25th Anniversary tour. I've seen him with the Clan a few times too, he basically sits at the back for most of the show, only coming to the front to spit his verse (usually sounding completely off beat, or behind the beat) then goes to the back and sits down again.

I've seen the Wu alot of times, and only once did they try to put more recent stuff in the set list... it was around the 8 Diagrams time, they tried to play The Heart Gently Weeps, but Rae fucked up and forgot his verse half way through.

Peace!

Veteran Member

One thing that is being overlooked re the deluxe directors cuts or whatever is that most rappers do not own their masters! The record label does. The artists have no control over that music.