Thread: Skyzoo - 'A Song For Fathers' (Father's Day song)

Default Skyzoo - 'A Song For Fathers' (Father's Day song)

You should of put Illmind in the title.

I saw Illmind making beats live once.

It was called the Beat Society tour. It must have been like 2003.

This is beat society footage. I'm pretty sure this is the one I went to. Think I hear someone who went with me in the video.

It was a D.C. show.

And yeah props to all the good fathers out there, me being one of them. Took the kids to the beach, then for mexican food, then for ice cream today. Even got a mcdonalds large fry on the way home. Kids are happy.

Yeah Illmind is a GREAT producer. first time I hear of Beat Society. thank you for mentioning it

good to hear you have a warm relationship with your kids. I don't have kids myself.

Beat Society is really cool and I think they had just begun touring back around 2002 or 2003 when I went.

Illmind I think had an ASR-10 but lots of others, such as Roddy Rod in the show I went to, had a Roland W-30 (eric sermon used one) and an SP-1200

It was like a live performance of the beat battles we used to have in the audio booth section of this forum.

They'd play a sample, the artists would get like 10 minutes to chop it up and make a beat.

The crowd would mingle, talk, get a round of drinks. Intermissions. Back then we could still smoke inside clubs.

Then when the time was up each competitor would play their beats and the crowd would help decide who came the illest.

I could have sworn Nottz was at that show too.

If you like Illmind then check out this one hour video of him making a beat live beginning to end.
    !llmind - From raw vocal to killer track in ONE HOUR.

This is how I learned about the plug-in Cthulhu https://xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

It lets non-piano players easily play chords. It's kind of a way of cheating. I think a couple of my keyboards have arpeggiators and similar features that I rarely ever use. I take that back. My Roland Alpha Juno 2 has something called chord memory. You can play a chord and store it in memory so that you can play back a chord by just pressing one key.

It's cool to watch and learn his method, how many tracks he uses, which plugins he uses, how he applies effects, envelopes, compression, etc.

He uses lots of the same programs people here use. Reason, pro-tools, Battery 3, Kontakt, Omnisphere, antares auto-tune, ozone3, etc. Almost everything is done on an Apple Macbook and he has a cheap $150 Akai mpk225.

I liked how he talked about "printing midi." I've made the mistake of saving beats where I hadn't printed the midi and then reloading the beat weeks later was a pain in the ass or never came out the same.

Illmind's youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyZ...NnuVEMc93aXiwg and he has lots of instructional videos for producers to learn his techniques.

Skyzoo and Illmind collaborated on an album called "Live From The Tape Deck"

Skyzoo also worked with 9th Wonder on Cloud Nine the 3 Day High

Thanks for posting this because now I have to revisit Skyzoo's catalog.

My favorite Illmind instrumental album is probably The Beat Fanatic. Dope album. There's a thread around here about best instrumental albums and this one should be listed there.

My favorite Illmind album with vocals on it is Symbolic One feat Illmind - Art of One Mind. Track 2 called Been Gone makes me get up out my chair every time. PLEASE go listen to it if you haven't already. Ghostface and Trife are on one of the tracks. It is called Milk 'Em. Some of Illmind's production reminds me of DJ Hi Tek. Some of these beats could have been on Reflection Eternal and blended right in.

1.Art Of OneMind Intro.
    2.Been gone (feat stange fruit project , Proh mic , S'ence)
    3.Neva Gone Change Feat. Supastition
    4.Club Aquarius Feat. Tree And Dow Jones
    5.Hush Feat. Deloach, Myone (of SFP), Kay (of The Foundation)
    6.Right Here Feat. Little Brother And Median
    7.Blue Notes Feat. Free Agents, Oneself, And Myone (of SFP)
    8.Hands Off Feat. K-Otix And Deloach
    9.Night Like This Feat. Darien Brockington & Big Pooh (of Little Brother)
    10.The Broke Song Feat. Strange Fruit Project
    11.The Groove Feat. Organic Thoughts
    12.Milk'em (feat Ghostace , Trife , and Myone)
    13.Day After Day Feat. Moon Cricket And Verbal Seed
    14.Onemind Feat. El Da Sensei And Chip Fu
    15.We Three Kings Feat. Myth, Bavu, And Chucky Sly
    16.Guilty Pleasures Feat. Kenn Starr And Thesis
    17.High Powered Feat. The Procussions