Thread: Lord Finesse - Motown Remix EP

Lord Finesse Reflects On Working With Big L And Explores His ‘Motown State Of Mind’
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysua.../#7033101847d0

Lord Finesse Remixes & Reimagines Classic Songs For New Album, ‘Motown State Of Mind’
    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...wn-state-mind/

A living legend in hip-hop, the Bronx artist started out in the 1980s as a rapper but soon thereafter added production to his list of talents. In addition to making beats for his own solo projects, 1992’s Return Of The Funky Man and 1996’s The Awakening, the Diggin’ In The Crates crew co-founder provided them for a number of seminal 1990s New York rap albums.

Though he secured production credits on The Notorious B.I.G.’s Ready To Die and Capone-N-Noreaga’s The War Report, Lord Finesse’s imprimatur is perhaps most evident on rapper Big L’s D.I.T.C.-led effort Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous, considered a classic of the genre’s heralded Golden Age. “I seen it in him before he probably seen it in him.” he says over the phone while reflecting of the tragically long departed Harlem artist.

“Some people work themselves too hard,” he says. “Fall into your passion. Once you find something you love to do, it'll never be considered a job.

I tell people it was the fear and excitement at the same time. I'm getting to hear these classic tracks in its entirety. I can go through each track, the vocals and the music. That alone is a privilege. The fear comes in because you're about to do something to this classic stuff. You don't want to f*** that up. So, I think those two—and the passion that I have for the music—was a perfect combination for what came to be. When it was all said and done, I can say I was happy with what I did. It made me feel good.
    Lord Finesse classifies the remixes to be his “best project to date.” “I’m my own worst critic. If I like it, I don’t think no one can really tell me anything,” he explains.
    Lord Finesse turned 50 this year. Born in 1970.

Lord Finesse (born Robert Hall, Jr., in February 19, 1970) is a hip-hop artist and producer, hailing from The Bronx, N.Y. and best known as the leader of the D.I.T.C. rap crew. In 1989, Finesse and his former partner DJ Mike Smooth signed to Wild Pitch Records, and the next year, the duo released their debut album Funky Technician (which featured production from future star beat-makers DJ Premier, Diamond D and Showbiz). Shortly thereafter, Finesse along with Showbiz & AG and Diamond D formed the popular New York underground crew ‘Diggin In The Crates’ (aka D.I.T.C.), future members would include Fat Joe, O.C., Buckwild and the late Big L.

Finesse’s second solo album Return Of The Funky Man was released in 1991 and featured guest appearances from Percee P and AG as well as some songs produced by Finesse himself. The title track, ‘Return of the Funky Man,’ peaked at #13 on the Hot Rap Singles chart. Return of the Funky Man started his career as a much respected hip-hop producer, most notably for The Notorious B.I.G., Dr. Dre, his fellow D.I.T.C. members, as well as for his third album, The Awakening.