Thread: Discography question for 3 classic groups

Question Discography question for 3 classic groups

What do you consider to be the best album (one album only) for each of the following groups?

* A Tribe Called Quest

* Gang Starr

*Public Enemy

Sounds like a random question but the background here is that I enjoy these amazing groups' albums but sometimes I have a harder time to get into the albums they dropped pre-1993 (which is when I started listening to hip hop) even though I realize that objectively, those are some of their better (or even best) albums. I guess it's my loss

incidentally the first hip hop album I ever heard was a library copy of a 1990 PE album ('Fear of a black planet') in 1993. (I know, I have mentioned this numerous times on here.) Looking back now, if you compare that 1990 release to a lot of hip hop in 1993 the beats / sound scapes had already changed enormously in the course of three mere years, as had some of the subject matter. it's pretty amazing the pace at which hip hop has changed over the years

thanks for your input. it would be interesting if you could also mention the year you got into hip hop

Tribe is the most difficult. It's weird that you mention the library, I first heard Midnight Marauders from a library copy. It's probably their best album but I also love their 2nd and 4th.

Gang Starr is also tough but I know that I've always enjoyed 'Hard To Earn' more than anything else so I guess it's an easy choice. Again they have a lot of great albums.

Public Enemy I would say 'It Takes A Nation...'. I think Fear has some better songs but also some shitty ones and too many trash skits.

Rather than their 'best' I'll pick my faves...

Tribe - Midnight Marauders (it just is)
    PE - Muse Sick N Hour Mess Age (one of the very first hip hop tapes I owned, n straight up I think this was a great album. Fuck, I gotta bump it again asap)
    Gangstarr - Step in the Arena (no question. One of THE great hip hop records)

* A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

* Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth

*Public Enemy -
    Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black

I like Gangstarr, ATCQ, Public Enemy in that order.

For Gangstarr I have to go with Moment of Truth. Above the Clouds, the title track, She Knows What She Wants, You Know My Steez, Work, Royalty, The Militia, What I'm Here 4, My Advice To You

Just so many legendary tracks. They evoke emotion. I can recite most of the lyrics on this album.

Depending on my mood, I can reach for Hard To Earn. But Moment Of Truth is the gem of the Gangstarr catalog.

A Tribe Called Quest? ooooh this is tough. I wanted to People's Instinctive Travels because it contains a couple of my favorite tracks like Can I Kick It and Bonita Applebum which the ladies love.

But Midnight Marauders is my answer because it is the most complete, consistent, polished ATCQ album beginning to end. Electric Relaxation, Award Tour, God Lives Through, Sucka Nigga, Oh My God, Keep It Rollin...

Public Enemy? I don't give them as much rotation. Fear of a Black Planet.

I think De La Soul deserves mention among these groups.

yup, De La too!

When I'm not ridin' around mean muggin to mobb deep hell on earth or code of the streets I listen to summer jams like this:

It's a great summer jam. Makes you want to go outdoors hit up some friends on a Saturday morning.

my favorite part is 2:48 she wins the track
    Last edited by Sense-A; 07-31-2020 at 06:39 PM.

De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising