Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RZA remakes Good Humor's Ice Cream truck jingle

Default RZA remakes Good Humor's Ice Cream truck jingle

“Turkey In The Straw” is believed to be one of the most recognized ice cream truck jingles in history but as pointed out by the*RZA,*it has a “problematic history.” The song was first performed in American minstrel shows in the 1800s and subsequent iterations used highly offensive and racist lyrics.

So,*RZA*and the ice cream company Good Humor teamed up to reimagine the song in an effort to absolve its racist roots. The*Wu-Tang Clan luminary*uploaded a video clip to his Instagram account on Thursday (August 13) to announce the updated version.

“Good Humor, they called me up and they was like, ‘We gotta do something about this, Riz,'” he says. “‘We can change the dynamics. We can make a new ice cream jingle for a new era.’ We wanted to make a melody that includes all communities. That’s good for every driver, every kid. And I’m proud to say, for the first time in a long time, a new ice cream jingle will be made available to trucks all across the country in perpetuity. That means forever, you know what I mean? Like Wu-Tang is forever.”

The clip ends with a call-to-action, asking all drivers to “STOP playing ‘Turkey in the Straw’ immediately.” The company also confirmed they’d be releasing RZA’s version for free to replace it. The new jingle will also be added to industry standard ice cream truck music boxes.

RZA concludes in the clip, “And I can assure you, this one is made with love.”

RELATED*NEWS

RZA CO-SIGNS GAMING AS ELEMENT OF HIP HOP BECAUSE OF 2 ICONIC WU-TANG CLAN ALBUMS

AUGUST 8, 2018

According to the*Good Humor website,*“Throughout the 19th century, minstrel songs like ‘Turkey in the Straw’ were commonly played in ice cream parlors, and later, adapted as ice cream truck jingles. While these associations of ‘Turkey in the Straw’ are not the only part of its legacy, it is undeniable that this melody conjures memories of its racist iterations.”

Around the 1830s, George Washington Dixon popularized a version of the song titled “Zip Coon,” while Harry C. Browne recorded a version of the song in 1916 called “N*gger Love a Watermelon, Ha! Ha! Ha!,” which relied heavily on the offensive and widespread “coon” stereotype. Needless to say, it was time for an upgrade.

I mean nobody cares or was even aware of this, so what could it possibly mean to anybody? But eh.

As I keep telling people, stop expecting things to stay the same. If you think everything is a conspiracy to change the world you live in, you are a dunce who doesn't understand humanity/evolution and you just want an easy answer. For as long as you live, everything will continue to change.

Sounds like a post 2000 Rza remix?

Ice Cream songs are racist?

This shit has gone too far. Fuck Rza doing this gay snowflake shit.

Peace CT

RZA is definitely getting weirder by the day. Peace

RZA went from being a great producer to being a terrible musician. Talk about progress...

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Should just have Raekwon's Ice Cream playing from ice cream trucks, problem solved.

Honestly, what happened to RZA? This beat is shockingly bad. It's almost like he's being ironic when he makes something like this.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

This is all the fault of that one dumb ass hole who could not keep his opinion to himself. I wish I could go back in time and stop that guy from ever telling Rza that he is not a real musician

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I mean nobody cares or was even aware of this, so what could it possibly mean to anybody? But eh.

As I keep telling people, stop expecting things to stay the same. If you think everything is a conspiracy to change the world you live in, you are a dunce who doesn't understand humanity/evolution and you just want an easy answer. For as long as you live, everything will continue to change.
    Your posts make me think that you may have a very punchable face.

Quote Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
    Your posts make me think that you may have a very punchable face.
    Good.

Your posts make you seem like you have an IQ under 85.

It's a jingle meant for kids. Of course it's gonna have to sound Mattel Barbie. If Glenn Danzig had remade it ice cream truck companies would only play a kiddie version of his too.

All of the criticism above about RZA is valid imo but this here is just for a kiddie audience.

And yes, the guy who told RZA he wasn't a musician should get his head smashed in.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    Ice Cream songs are racist?

This shit has gone too far. Fuck Rza doing this gay snowflake shit.
    That song was. It was about blacks and watermelon. The n-word is even in the song.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

The people who would complain about the idea of this remix are just living in the past. You can't preserve everything, and a lot of it isn't worth preserving anyway. More things fell to the wayside than stayed through history, why expect anything different in this era.

That being said, RZA fucked this opportunity up.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    That being said, RZA fucked this opportunity up.

Yeah...... I was hoping for a hard 95 boom bap remix! That would be sick.