Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 80s Songs

1983 - A great year
    The Fixx - Saved By Zero

I love this song. Cool video too. I remixed it a few years ago.

That DesireLess Track is cool. Weird but genius.

This is a 1989 UK R&B/House Electronica cut I found crate diggin'. I got the 12" and the album on vinyl. I jam this all the time. Got in on a usb stick in the toyota 4runner right now.

The Chimes - Heaven

The ABBOTT

Nice choices b-dolo

That Yes song has the synth player playing what looks like a Oberheim OB-X. Powerful synth. http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/obx.php Trying to buy a vintage one today would probably cost you over $10,000.

Slave I had to double check but it barely makes it into the 80's.

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World is more iconic and recognizable.

An 80's jam I have on vinyl.
    Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You 1984

1982 Luther Vandross - Never Too Much (Video)

Luther was a member of the group Change.
    In 1980 the group came out with a song called Glow Of Love which I probably like even more than Never Too Much. But Never Too Much has a so 80's video and Luther started to pop off as a solo artist.
    Last edited by Sense-A; 09-08-2020 at 08:30 PM.

The ABBOTT

Its sad most people only know Rick James from Chappelle show and not from his music.

I'm a huge fan of Temptations. Mostly for their earlier work.

This thread needs some Hall & Oates. Especially one of the most sampled songs in hip hop. https://www.whosampled.com/Daryl-Hal...n-Do)/sampled/

1981 Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) (Official Video)

The Synth Sounds of Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"
    https://reverb.com/news/the-synth-so...that-no-can-do

Original track sheet from Electric Lady Studios:

Look at the classic instruments. A Prophet. A mini Moog! Vocodors.

Fire up this earworm of a single on your turntable or smartphone, and the first thing you'll hear is an isolated drum machine track. To nail the sound, we deployed an original Roland CompuRhythm CR-78—one of the first truly programmable drum machines—and its "Rock-1" preset pattern. With a little “Vintage Tape" saturation from iZotope Ozone and some delay from the Waves H-Delay plugin, we matched the sound of the recording almost exactly.

The next track that comes up in the original recording is a subtle bassline via what we believe to have been a Korg organ of some kind. For this we used the Retro Synth VST in Logic Pro X to capture the sound—and if you download one of the sessions below for Logic, Pro Tools, or Ableton Live 10, you'll find equivalent replications to play around with.

While the original recording contains a myriad of different layers and parts (as you can see in the original track sheet from Electric Lady Studios above), we focused on two of the most prominent.

The primary chord part comes from a Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 with chorus from the free TAL-Chorus-LX plugin. We used an actual Prophet-5, but these tones can be achieved via an emulator like the Arturia Prophet V, which can be bought separately or as part of the Arturia V Collection 6. (See below for details on a Reverb Exclusive Arturia sale.)

The distinct downward arpeggio line was recorded on a Fender Rhodes electric piano, which we emulated via a stock electric piano VST in Logic X with some chorus and reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Temptations. Mostly for their earlier work.

This thread needs some Hall & Oates. Especially one of the most sampled songs in hip hop. https://www.whosampled.com/Daryl-Hal...n-Do)/sampled/

1981 Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) (Official Video)

The Synth Sounds of Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"
    https://reverb.com/news/the-synth-so...that-no-can-do

Original track sheet from Electric Lady Studios:

Look at the classic instruments. A Prophet. A mini Moog! Vocodors.
    Lovin that track & the songs it was sampled in. That track sheet is pretty interesting too.

Btw I also have a request.

For many years now I've been looking for the eighties hard rock song that had either a panther or a tiger in a cage on stage where a hair metal band was performing. I think it was a panther. I remember being very much impressed as a young kid lol. It is one of the earliest music vids I have memories of but I never came across the vid later. I have no memories of the song or band. It must have been around the time The Final Countdown was a hit because I remember it being on the same music clip show that time. I have very vivid memories of the evening I saw this vid.

A bunch of us kids had gone around to a youth movements leader's house and watched tv together before we went on what must have been one of my first youth camps.

Any ideas as to the song? Thanks.