Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What other records do I miss to fill the third row ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I'm impressed Sense A. Is that mostly rap vinyls? What other genres you have there?
    I'm glad you're impressed, because most see it as a problem. It's worse. Those pictures are from a couple years ago. I've since installed shelves along all the walls, have records going up the sides of the staircases in my house, I even have records stashed in one of my bathrooms. Records are along a wall in the foyer when you walk into my house. I'm running out of space and soon I will end up on an episode of hoarders. LOL It reminds me of that guy in the Wu Tang Documentary who had a house full of VHS tapes and reels.

Mostly Funk, Jazz, R&B, blues from the 60's and 70's. Some folk and psychedelic rock. Lots of really cool black gospel music. Mostly black musicians. I go through phases. For example I did tons of research on Jazz and made a list of the best jazz artists in a spreadsheet and tried to complete their discographies. I have a couple thousand vinyl hip hop albums but they are not pictured. For hip hop, i like to collect the singles more than the full albums (except Wu-Tang and a few other artists). I like the accapellas and instrumentals for mixing and rare remix versions. Most of the time I buy albums just by taking a chance. A song name I like. A cool album cover. I recognize one of the band players who I like in the fine print of the credits on the back. Or the label puts out only good music.

I don't just fork over tons of doe. I only buy bargains. I'll walk away from a record I really want because I already have a price I'm willing to pay in my head. Only if I see a record that I think I'll never come across again will I go over the limit what I want to pay for a record. I usually buy bulk. I don't go to buy one record. I pick out 100 records I want and make an offer for the lot.

I bought most of my records from flea markets, antique shops, record stores, craigslist, estates, etc. Almost all used. For many years, it's what I did every weekend. I even went on trips to other towns just to crate dig and maybe catch a concert. And I found some other local record collectors (they have rooms that look similar) and we have our own trade shows two or three times a year and they go to huge record shows in Birmingham and Atlanta and Augusta and Charlotte and other places and bring back stuff I want and upcharge me just a little bit for doing some legwork. Every time I travel out of town, a day of crate digging is scheduled. It's what I did in Chicago for a full day where I found some really good blues records. I want to go back to Memphis and crate dig for more blues records.

Do you have any idea how much time it takes just to put them in order? I end up buying duplicates and triplets of albums because I can't even keep an inventory list updated and forgot I already had it.

Records have downsides. You have to worry about ring wear. They take up more space. Less portable. You shouldn't stack them horizontal. I have to run dehumidifiers. Bugs and moths like to eat the cardboard and glue. I have to keep microfiber cloths around, extra sleeves and outer jacket protectors. Records can skip if your tone arm isn't set right, or your needle is collecting dust, or your table isn't adjusted right.

But CDs suck because they skip, do that digital skipping thing that makes me want to pull my hair out, plastic jewel cases break, and don't seem to hold their value as well.

It's not like I actually get to enjoy all the records and pro audio gear. Every time I sit down to get busy, one of the kids needs a diaper change or the coil burns out in the dryer or a solenoid burns up in the outside AC condenser unit or the lawn mower won't start or one of the kids broke something. Shit always happens. So at least half my records I haven't even listened to in years.

I basically stopped buying CDs around 2012, I still buy the occasional vinyl, usually old favorites, the last one was The Main Ingredient.
    Nearly all the CDs in that picture are Hip Hop CDs from the 1990's. I was a teenager with a part-time job and made some good money catering weddings and large parties after school and on weekends. No rent. No bills. A used car I bought. No payments. Lots of money went to CDs. No one can accuse me of not supporting the artists.

The bulk of my vinyl records are NOT hip hop. Like I told Hal, the quality of vinyl pressings the last 20 years sucks. I buy brand new vinyl records with defects. It sucks considering they want $20+ I still want vinyl records for Durant Jones and the Indications or Charles Bradley, though. I think it is mostly the newer re-releases of hip hop albums that suck. So a repress isn't as good as the original pressing for hip hop albums. I would pay extra for an original Nas - Illmatic pressing than a gimmick repress with colored vinyl or a remixed cover.

So I buy old used vinyl for an average $2-$5 per record and most of them are from the 60's through the 90's.

I have hundreds of pictures of the actual records I have and lots of videos of me playing them on the turntables. One day I'll create a separate thread or make a website and post it all.

A couple albums I got this week:

And the Killah Priest - Heavy Mental Promo copy I told you guys about

^clean version but I don't care. KP doesn't cuss much on this album at all.

---

JayLinx has a nice Wu-Tang CD collection going. I'm looking at his collection. What would I reach for? I'd probably take that GZA-Beneath the Surface CD off the shelf and put it in the CD player. I love that album. I saw the tour in Washington D.C. and it was awesome. I think KP was there, a couple members of Sunz of Man. Some of my friends went with me. It was a great time. And the CD fucking bumps in a car system.

I also would reach for the Shaolin Soul Volumes, the Wu-Tang The Swarm album, No Said Date, hell....his whole bottom shelf is fire. I'd put them in order by artist. To each their own.

JayLinx,

I think that if you like Killarmy you should go ahead and add Dirty Weaponry. Most people here will tell you that Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars is their best album, but there are many days I prefer to listen to Dirty Weaponry. And if you find a good deal, get a used copy of Fear Love and War. Songs like Monster go hard.

And The Sting, not because it is as good as The Swarm. It isn't. Because there are tracks such as Dancing With Wolves that bang.

I'd play this before a fight.

Also, can you find CD copies of U-God Keynote Speaker? I'd get a copy just to hear Scotty Wotty. Damn that dude goes hard on those tracks with U-God. He also seems to bring out the best in U-God. Like U-God just steps his game up cuz otherwise Scotty would outshine him.

I'd also add Rza - Birth of a Prince to that collection. I like that album at least better than the second Bobby Digital album.

Also, I'd get Killah Priest - Behind The Stained Glass (2008)

Others will argue with me, but that's probably my second favorite KP album behind Heavy Mental. And I expect that might change as I relisten to the rest of his albums.

Add a couple Hell Razah Albums and put them beside that Sunz of Man album.

La The Darkman - Heist of the Century? One of Willie The Kidd's albums?

A Bronze Nazareth album. A Cilvaringz album.

Inspectah Deck - Resident Patient
    Last edited by Sense-A; 09-02-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Also JayLinx,

To go with your Shaolin Soul volumes, get the El Michaels Affair albums.

I think most people on this forum sleep on just how dope the El Michels Affair - Wu Cover albums were.

Enter The 37th Chamber? Return to the 37th chamber ?
    sheeeeeeeeeeeeit Those albums Jam!

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    Also JayLinx,

To go with your Shaolin Soul volumes, get the El Michaels Affair albums.

I think most people on this forum sleep on just how dope the El Michels Affair - Wu Cover albums were.

Enter The 37th Chamber? Return to the 37th chamber ?
    sheeeeeeeeeeeeit Those albums Jam!

agreed ! the El Michaels Wu stuff is dope.

@ JayLinx the BSOM release of C.O.I.N.S. is a good release that should have seen a release in the late 90's .

hard to find physicals but i would add the Tom Caruana

The first WuSyndicate album is a banger too !!!

It's funny you mention hoarders. I think you're okay at this point, assuming you don't also have 30 cats shitting all over your house.

I used to have a lot of CDs, even hundreds of CDRs of completely random songs, still have most of them. I miss having an mp3 player, mine broke and I couldn't find a suitable replacement, everything these days is an ipod or a cheap piece of crap with 2mb of space. Streaming is good enough, but I'd like the option to have all or most of my music available in one place again.

Damn. Good call on the Wu Syndicate album. It belongs there.

And the first Think Differently Music album.

Damn, look at the All Star team of artists that Dreddy Kruger put together.

1 Dreddy Kruger Introduction 1:12
    2 GZA & Ras Kass Lyrical Swords 3:25
    3 Vast Aire, Byata, Timbo King & Prodigal Sunn Slow Blues 4:49
    4 U-God, Sean Price, Prodigal Sunn & C-Rayz Walz Still Grimey 4:15
    5 Various Skit 0:32
    6 Casual, Tragedy Khadafi, Rock Marciano* & Vordul Mega Think Differently 4:33
    7 Various Informercial: #1 Voice [Narrated By] – Jim Jarmusch 0:38
    8 –RZA & MF Doom Biochemical Equation Producer – RZA 3:56
    9 Various O.D.B Tribute Scratches – DJ Noize 1:51
    10 Del Tha Funky Homosapien* Fragments 3:31
    11 Various Intermission:Producer – Fred One* 0:27
    12 Bronze Nazareth, Solomon Childs & Byata Street Corners 3:17
    13 Littles, Khalid (2) & Planet Asia Listen 3:40
    14 Various Informercial: #2 Music By [Background Music] – Preservation Voice [Narrated By] – Jim Jarmusch 0:45
    15 Scaramanga Shallah*, La The Darkman, Ras Kass & GZA Verses Producer – DJ Noize 4:33
    16 Aesop Rock & Del Tha Funky Homosapien* Preservation 2:26
    17 C.C.F. Division Cars On The Interstate... Producer – Allah Mathematics Rap [C.C.F. Division] – Free Murda*, Shacronz 2:17
    18 R.A. The Rugged Man & J-Live Give It Up 3:46
    19 Bronze Nazareth Black Dawn

@Sense-A i almost forgot the Kruger projects and that lineup is what makes this release a must have.

lets not forget this banger here " Killa from the Villa " is my fav

It's funny you mention hoarders. I think you're okay at this point, assuming you don't also have 30 cats shitting all over your house.

I used to have a lot of CDs, even hundreds of CDRs of completely random songs, still have most of them. I miss having an mp3 player, mine broke and I couldn't find a suitable replacement, everything these days is an ipod or a cheap piece of crap with 2mb of space. Streaming is good enough, but I'd like the option to have all or most of my music available in one place again.
    I got to the age when I'd rather have children instead of pets. Probably age 25 I wanted a family.

Now, my kids love puppies and cats but not gonna get me to adopt one cuz they don't even take care of their own responsibilities enough to take on pets. If I had a huge ranch or farm then I'd think differently about pets.

I do pick up good stereo equipment at yard sales and flea markets when I come across it. $20 here, $30 there. Here's a stack of silver faced equipment. I have another stack of black faced component stereo stuff with a nice panasonic 5 disc CD player that reads MP3 CDRs.

Yeah Wu Syndicate's first is a must have too.

On second thought I'd also include Wisemen Approaching , War Poetry & Blue Sky Black Death w/ Holocaust

Thanks for your ideas.

I found Wu-Syndicate, Cuban Linx 2, Indie Culture and second Cappadonna (bad album, but it is the last solo album I miss as I wanted all solo albums between 36 Chambers and Iron Flag !) at a fair price.

Still 6 to find

To be continued
    A wise man knows his limitations.

泣きたくなるの

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    I'm glad you're impressed, because most see it as a problem. It's worse. Those pictures are from a couple years ago. I've since installed shelves along all the walls, have records going up the sides of the staircases in my house, I even have records stashed in one of my bathrooms. Records are along a wall in the foyer when you walk into my house. I'm running out of space and soon I will end up on an episode of hoarders. LOL It reminds me of that guy in the Wu Tang Documentary who had a house full of VHS tapes and reels.

Mostly Funk, Jazz, R&B, blues from the 60's and 70's. Some folk and psychedelic rock. Lots of really cool black gospel music. Mostly black musicians. I go through phases. For example I did tons of research on Jazz and made a list of the best jazz artists in a spreadsheet and tried to complete their discographies. I have a couple thousand vinyl hip hop albums but they are not pictured. For hip hop, i like to collect the singles more than the full albums (except Wu-Tang and a few other artists). I like the accapellas and instrumentals for mixing and rare remix versions. Most of the time I buy albums just by taking a chance. A song name I like. A cool album cover. I recognize one of the band players who I like in the fine print of the credits on the back. Or the label puts out only good music.

I don't just fork over tons of doe. I only buy bargains. I'll walk away from a record I really want because I already have a price I'm willing to pay in my head. Only if I see a record that I think I'll never come across again will I go over the limit what I want to pay for a record. I usually buy bulk. I don't go to buy one record. I pick out 100 records I want and make an offer for the lot.

I bought most of my records from flea markets, antique shops, record stores, craigslist, estates, etc. Almost all used. For many years, it's what I did every weekend. I even went on trips to other towns just to crate dig and maybe catch a concert. And I found some other local record collectors (they have rooms that look similar) and we have our own trade shows two or three times a year and they go to huge record shows in Birmingham and Atlanta and Augusta and Charlotte and other places and bring back stuff I want and upcharge me just a little bit for doing some legwork. Every time I travel out of town, a day of crate digging is scheduled. It's what I did in Chicago for a full day where I found some really good blues records. I want to go back to Memphis and crate dig for more blues records.

Do you have any idea how much time it takes just to put them in order? I end up buying duplicates and triplets of albums because I can't even keep an inventory list updated and forgot I already had it.

Records have downsides. You have to worry about ring wear. They take up more space. Less portable. You shouldn't stack them horizontal. I have to run dehumidifiers. Bugs and moths like to eat the cardboard and glue. I have to keep microfiber cloths around, extra sleeves and outer jacket protectors. Records can skip if your tone arm isn't set right, or your needle is collecting dust, or your table isn't adjusted right.

But CDs suck because they skip, do that digital skipping thing that makes me want to pull my hair out, plastic jewel cases break, and don't seem to hold their value as well.

It's not like I actually get to enjoy all the records and pro audio gear. Every time I sit down to get busy, one of the kids needs a diaper change or the coil burns out in the dryer or a solenoid burns up in the outside AC condenser unit or the lawn mower won't start or one of the kids broke something. Shit always happens. So at least half my records I haven't even listened to in years.
    Yo man, big up for the collection. I feel you cause I used to go digging too and the feeling and bond you can have with other collectors is unforgettable. I know it'd be hundred hours of work but you could use Discogs and add all your records to the database so you could easily see if you have the record when buying new

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

La The Darkamn's "Heist of the Century", Wu-Syndicate debut, Killarmy's second and third album.