once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those of you who own high end cars (Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Cadillac)

I had a hell of a time with the truck this weekend.

So last week the AC belt broke. I figured out that the hose coming from the top of the radiator cap to the overflow tank was punctured and sprayed hot antifreeze onto the belts, causing the AC belt to break off.

So I got a new AC belt and Power steering belt and planned on fixing it this weekend.

But Friday the engine began running hot so I figured now I have to fix the overheating problem first since that will be catastrophic if now fixed. Note here. If you see the temp gauge go into the red, turn off the road and shut everything down immediately. Trying to make it to the next exit or continuing to drive with a red lined temp gauge is going to warp your valves and burn up your gaskets. You'll destroy your engine. Open the hood and blast the heat inside the car to pull out heat from engine bay.

First I replaced the radiator cap figuring the old one might not be keeping the pressure in the system. A pressurized system has a higher boiling temperature. If the radiator cap is releasing too much pressure, it lowers the boiling point and you get overheating. Sure enough, the old radiator cap was cracked underneath, but I wasn't positive if it was releasing pressure or not. A cheap $12 fix nevertheless.

Truck overheats again. Fuck. Okay let's try thermostat next. Another $12 and some antifreeze.

I took the old thermostat out. Spilled the old radiator fluid on the driveway so I can help contribute to climate change and hope a dog licks it up and dies.

Noticed that the old thermostat had an old gasket in there as well as the one on the old thermostat, which may have been tangling with the spring mechanism or preventing the thermostat from entirely closing.

Note: The aftermarket thermostat is not as good quality as the OEM part.

Put in a gallon fresh asian Toyota red coolant (not the cheap green shit).

Still overheating. WTF? Realized that 1 gallon wasn't enough. Put in another 3/4 gallon and now I'm running cool again!

On to the serpentine belts. Getting the power steering belt off was a bitch. One 14mm bolt in particular. I couldn't get a socket wrench in a couple places. Realized I'd be working all day using old school wrenches. Went to harbor freight and got this for $8 after a 20% off coupon.

The blue 14mm wrench made the job possible in less than 1 hour. Engine was still hot. I burned my arm and knuckles loosening the pulley tensioner bolts. An Obama/Biden supporter would have cried like a bitch and taken it to a mechanic and then went to the ER for burns. Big dick Republicans do what it takes to get the job done.

Now my truck is cooling better than it used to (I installed a thermostat that opens 10 degrees lower), has fresh antifreeze, and new serpentine belts. Running cool and the AC is cold.

Spent less than $50 total and thanked the Good Lord I didn't have to do a water pump change (which would take me all weekend). Took the kids out for ice cream to celebrate my hard work. I'm going to go back to harbor freight and pick up the SAE pack of ratcheting wrenches. These have bends in them which worked in this case. I'd like a set of straight arm ones too. Damn the things make loosening bolts in tight places so much easier when you can't get a socket wrench in there.

I'd show you pictures but my phone digitizer is busted. Expecting the part to arrive Tuesday so I can take my phone apart again.
    Last edited by Sense-A; 09-20-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Double Secret Probation Sir Artsdradamus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Smart! I'll try this because car salemans can be snake oil at times. There are so many rules when it comes to purchasing a car.

1. Never say that you're paying cash. They'll charge you the highest price and won't provide a good deal.

2. Never say that you're driving out-of-state to buy a car. It could lead to a bait and switch.

3. Don't get stuck on a certain car. They can take advantage of you that way.

4. Appear very confident and well informed. If you appear nervous, they'll try to bully you.

5. Negotiating is not a skill everyone is good with. If the won't work with you on a deal, just leave.

6. Very be desperate. If your car is on its last leg, don't tell them.

I did similar sales a while back. The big thing they do is try to pin you down to a payment. Ask you what you are comfortable paying, and they try to get you under that number. Obviously, know what your budget is, but don’t overpay for a car just because they stretch the terms of the loan to get you under your monthly budget. They’ll try to use your own words against you. “But you said if I could get your monthly payment below X, we’d be doing this deal.”

When buying a new car, typically it’s a waste of money to buy an extended warranty. 4 out of 5 times, you lose money because the repairs don’t end up costing as much as the warranty. When you add the price of the warranty into the loan, it comes out to be around 15-25 per month. If you just save that money in a seperate account every month, you will be able to pay for just about any repair you need if something happens after the factory warranty runs out. And if you don’t have anything go wrong, you have a nice down payment to put on your next car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsdradamus View Post
    I also don't like when young millennials call me "sir"

Check this thread for all of the upcoming Wu-Tang concerts.

Check this thread for all of the upcoming Wu-Tang release dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post
    I did similar sales a while back. The big thing they do is try to pin you down to a payment. Ask you what you are comfortable paying, and they try to get you under that number. Obviously, know what your budget is, but don’t overpay for a car just because they stretch the terms of the loan to get you under your monthly budget. They’ll try to use your own words against you. “But you said if I could get your monthly payment below X, we’d be doing this deal.”

When buying a new car, typically it’s a waste of money to buy an extended warranty. 4 out of 5 times, you lose money because the repairs don’t end up costing as much as the warranty. When you add the price of the warranty into the loan, it comes out to be around 15-25 per month. If you just save that money in a seperate account every month, you will be able to pay for just about any repair you need if something happens after the factory warranty runs out. And if you don’t have anything go wrong, you have a nice down payment to put on your next car.
    Yea you better know your shit or they’ll try to stick it to you. I like catching them in a “lie”. I enjoy making it alittle uncomfortable if they lie about fair market value. Let them go back and “talk to their manager” and if you don’t get your price walk out. They may call you back in a day, they make lower it just to make you stay. They may not.

I’ve dealt with some dudes that straight hooked me up and I think they did something shady and I’ve dealt with dudes who are pricks and won’t budge.

The key is never go In that day with the expectation you’re gonna buy something.

Double Secret Probation Sir Artsdradamus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    I believe Grave owns several high ends cars. Porsche is one of them.

yeah, and george costanza has a place in The Hamptons.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsdradamus View Post
    I also don't like when young millennials call me "sir"

Check this thread for all of the upcoming Wu-Tang concerts.

Check this thread for all of the upcoming Wu-Tang release dates.

yeah, and george costanza has a place in The Hamptons.

Prickly Porsche

Good. Thanks. Extended warranty is only good for BMW. Lol

yeah, and george costanza has a place in The Hamptons
    That what he said. Isn't Grave well off?
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the difference is between all wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive. I see new vehicles claiming awd system. I'm thinking its not the same as a traditional 4×4 truck/jeep. That maybe you are paying extra for a substandard feature.

Stripped of our language, walked around nameless Amongst the strangest, a heart full of anguish Taught life is dangerous

Reknight Sir Artsdradamus Hal Incandenza's Avatar
    Standing with the Wu-Tang Clan Calender Man

I don't know the first thing about cars (sorry) but I had a look around and the link below seems like a good explanation? I only read the first 3 lines though lol.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ces-explained/
    Quote Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
    You're a real homo, Hal.