Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: News from around the world

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    You had an army armed by Israel and Turkey vs one which was using equipment from the 50's and 60's.

Why would Israel want to arm Azerbaijan? What is the reason aren't they Muslims?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    Why would Israel want to arm Azerbaijan? What is the reason aren't they Muslims?
    Jews have been funding wars for a thousand years
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    If you still think alliances in the middle east are shaped by religion I don't know what to say.

Azerbaijan is Shia muslim to, so you'd think natural allied to Iran right? Well no. Stats show 85% of Azeri's consider themselves secular and non-practising. Azerbaijan is one of the least religious nations. Also they are the ideal nation to counter Iran. As Northern Iran is also known as Southern Azerbaijan. A 3rd of Iran's population are Turkic-speaking Azeri's. You want to destabilise Iran you need Azerbaijan on your side.

On the other hand one of the biggest supporters of Armenia in the region is Iran. At the beginning of this conflict Iran was smuggling Russian weapons to the Armenians. This stopped because the Azeri's of Northern Iran protested on mass. Their main TV Channel even aired news calling those in Tehran traitors. The Ayatollah is actually Azeri himself, this is one thing that keeps them at bay. I mean they could just ask to join Azerbaijan and I think if ever shit kicks off with Iran this will happen.

As for Armenia protestors have taken the speaker of parliament and well taken him somewhere. The Prime Minister Pashinyan has fled to Russia.

Azerbaijan is Shia muslim to
    Interesting

On the other hand one of the biggest supporters of Armenia in the region is Iran.
    Yeah..... this make sense in a way because there’s a big Armenian diaspora throughout the Middle East

The Ayatollah is actually Azeri himself
    Really.....that’s surprising!

Thanks for the info Hanzo

peace

Turkish president Erdogan has fired his son-in-law Berat Albayrak, who was the Minister of Finance and Treasurer of Turkey. Well, technically Albayrak resigned (citing health issues and wanting to spend more time with his family) but you know how it goes ... Not too long before Erdogan had fired the chairman of the central bank of Turkey, a man called Murat Uysal

Turkey has been having problems with the devaluation of its national currency, the Turkish lira, for an extended period of time now. earlier measures taken by the government do not seem to have helped much

I read a short report that said we can now reasonably expect Erdogan to put more pressure on the central bank of Turkey and force certain decisions on it

I'm not well versed in this matter, maybe Hanzo would like to chime in and add / correct where necessary

for our American readers, the reason why I report on Turkey a lot in this thread is because it is of HUGE geopolitical importance to the EU (which it is not a member of) and NATO (which it is a member of). Erdogan has the EU in a death knel over international refugees which he could at any time open the Greek-Turkish border for (Greece being a member of the EU)

so anything that happens in Turkey is under close scrutiny here. as to Belgium, it has a largish Turkish community that sees Erdogan as its beacon of light
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Turkish president Erdogan has fired his son-in-law Berat Albayrak, who was the Minister of Finance and Treasurer of Turkey. Well, technically Albayrak resigned (citing health issues and wanting to spend more time with his family) but you know how it goes ... Not too long before Erdogan had fired the chairman of the central bank of Turkey, a man called Murat Uysal

Turkey has been having problems with the devaluation of its national currency, the Turkish lira, for an extended period of time now. earlier measures taken by the government do not seem to have helped much

I read a short report that said we can now reasonably expect Erdogan to put more pressure on the central bank of Turkey and force certain decisions on it

I'm not well versed in this matter, maybe Hanzo would like to chime in and add / correct where necessary

for our American readers, the reason why I report on Turkey a lot in this thread is because it is of HUGE geopolitical importance to the EU (which it is not a member of) and NATO (which it is a member of). Erdogan has the EU in a death knel over international refugees which he could at any time open the Greek-Turkish border for (Greece being a member of the EU)

so anything that happens in the EU is under close scrutiny here. as to Belgium, it has a largish Turkish community that sees Erdogan as its beacon of light
    So this was absolutely shocking. Like nobody expected it, the son-in law is Turkey's second most powerful man. He owns the largest media corporation, he owns banks, factories, companies of all sorts. He is real good buddies with Jared Kushner to. (Not a good week for Son-in laws). He is also or was a US citizen as are most of Turkey's powerful Islamists. Oh I wonder why.

So for him to quit through instagram was massive. The media which is run by lackey businessmen who feared reporting on it would draw the ire of the government didn't say shit for 26 hours. Until the gov released a statement saying Albayrak was relieved of his duties. Turkey's economy is trashed because of Erdogan's policies. He adamantly defends the idea that low interest rates lead to low inflation. So he wants the Central bank to keep lowering interest rates. The Central Bank governors who resist this call get fired by Erdogan. So you have a not so independent Central bank which the markets don't like, alongside an increasingly autocratic government. Albayrak wasn't an economist himself, he is a nobody. He is just the son of a prominent Islamist and just like feudal Europe of old, 2 powerful Islamist families in Turkey joined forces through marriage.

Before the economy was run by bankers and economists and so it was booming. They kept a tight check on money, they didn't spend and focused on building the economy. When Albayrak become more powerful and came into government he forced these economists out from government. Then had Erdogan spend spend spend and all this taxpayer money went into the pockets of those aligned with Erdogan and his son-in law. So all the money went into construction businesses. Turkey is one big concrete dump now. Build, build, build. Everywhere and any space they find they will build a high rise. in cities that do not at all need an airport, they go and build an airport. There are 4 lane highways connecting fucking villages of max 200 people. All this funded by the taxpayer and well the economic markets see it as money wasted. Which it is. The worlds largest airport, the 2nd and 3rd longest bridges and they have also begun work on Canal Istanbul which will open a second water way in Istanbul which is bonkers but they are doing it and nobody can tell them no. They don't even consult the Mayor of Istanbul on it. They don't care. As long as construction companies get richer that's all that matters. Want more context? the head of one of these construction companies is also the chairman of Turkey's soccer federation. So in essence Erdogan also runs football as they do what he says. Erdogan said he doesn't like the foreign player rule so next season there is a cap on foreign players incoming.

To save the lira what did they do? They started spending the reserve cash of the central bank but also the son-in law had 3 state banks spend their reserves to prop up the Lira as well. Why? because they didn't want the people to know the economy was weak due to excessive spending and bad policy. Populism. Instead of doing the right thing they insisted on the wrong. Since January the Central bank and 3 state banks have spent $101Billion to prop up the Lira and it failed.

To add to all this spending they also spent $40billion on Syrian refugees. The whole 'We are helping our muslim brothers' angle didn't work in Turkey, that's why opening the borders to allow them to go to Europe is a popular act the government can do to garner support at home. As it's something the left leaning opposition wants the government to do.

very illuminating, HANZO, thanks for taking the time to explain
    Retired.

it'll be interesting to see how Iran will react after their top nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was shot. they gave him the VIP burial I see

Iran has already stockpiled ten times its enriched uranium limit. possibly Israel (via Mossad) and Trump's team, who don't want Biden to renegotiate a deal w/ Iran, made this move to provoke Iran into doing something brazen so a new nuclear treaty will become impossible

idk I'm just guessing here, also based on an analysis I read. I'm not that up to speed

any thoughts?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    it'll be interesting to see how Iran will react after their top nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh was shot. they gave him the VIP burial I see

Iran has already stockpiled ten times its enriched uranium limit. possibly Israel (via Mossad) and Trump's team, who don't want Biden to renegotiate a deal w/ Iran, made this move to provoke Iran into doing something brazen so a new nuclear treaty will become impossible

idk I'm just guessing here, also based on an analysis I read. I'm not that up to speed

any thoughts?
    Joey will be more pro-Israel than Barry was. THats my guess.

I think we can reasonably expect Biden to get more involved in the middle east anyway, but it would definitely be a Trump move to make things worse for him.

Iran is a paper tiger. They can only retaliate through proxies like Hezbollah. There are also rumours in Arabian media that a drone strike killed the head of the revolutionary guard but this has not been confirmed. Whatever is happening I'm pretty certain Trump is goading Iran into open conflict. Selling F-35's to the UAE was a major step. for the first time an Arab country will have top tier weapons, the US usually sells the Gulf states used & old tech. This is a direct threat to Iran and sooner or later they would have to react but the country just doesn't have the economic strength to react & also Covid is rampant in Iran.

Another problem Iran has now is that after Israel helped Azerbaijan in their recent war, the Azeri's have given Mossad free reign within Azerbaijan. Mossad even has a headquarters in Azerbaijan. This is why Iran has stockpiled weapons on it's border with Azerbaijan, beefing up the border.

It's really good to get an in-depth analysis of the borat countries, thanks Hanzo

Borat nations are great to follow because they are all monumental fuck ups.

The Pentagon just released a statement on the UAE funding Russian Mercenaries throughout the Middle East. A Mercenary group with direct ties to the Kremlin. Same Pentagon is getting ready to sell the UAE their mose powerful Jet Fighter. It was like the Javelin missile sold to France by the US which was then given to the UAE by France ending up in the hands of Salafists in Libya. The US came out and said the French didn't have the permission to sell the javelins on. A lot of NATO nations aren't allowed to purchase the javelin missiles.

Everyone is courting Ethiopia, so no wonder there has been issues in the Tigrey region. Ethiopia is threatening Egypt by building a dam on the Nile which will totally destroy Egyptian agriculture. So those who don't like Egypt are all good with Ethiopia, while the others are trying to cause trouble there as a warning to Ethiopia.

The Greeks have given the UAE an airbase to develop in order to ... ahem threaten Turkey. This is the middle east today. It's just one big clusterfuck.

The country which is the calmest is Borats homeland Kazakhstan. Last I checked they were trying to find a way to make the capital Astana less cold.

I'm anticipating a war between Egypt + Sudan and Ethiopia. I don't think the Tigray situation is externally influenced but the window for external support flinging wide open def gave them more confidence in facing the federal government. The Tigray used to control the country after overthrowing the Derg (communists from the 60s primarily from the south). Ironically the current president identifies more with the ethnic group that lead the Derg movement and even pardoned it's exiled leader. Since then the Tigray have been looking for reasons to show open hostility, and the pres postponing elections does the trick. Ethnic tensions are extremely high in other parts of the country and if Egypt is smart they could create complete hell for Ethiopia, but if it's open and obvious they'll all unite.

I personally think they have the right to build the dam because Egypt's Aswan dam flooded major portions of Sudan and a lot of very valueable archeology so they shouldn't act like hoes now that it's someone else. All 3 countries can fuck off though

As far as the pentagon. When I was younger I wanted to believe these types of fuck ups were deliberate long game strategy but that was me over estimating humanity. It's insane how grossly we keep mis-reading geopolitics in the US but if you meet the average American that our government pools it's talent from it's actually not far fetched.
    Last edited by TSA; 12-01-2020 at 08:54 PM.

One week before the very last deadline and a deal was finally struck between the UK and the EU over Brexit. In the end the Brits are getting back a quarter of their fishing rights over the next 5 and a half years and there's some minor tweaks in other areas. then some unneeded polishing up shit decisions where they leave a program just to start the same program under a different name, like the Erasmus exchange program for students

basically the UK has gained nothing, just stressed out its people for over 4 years and froze its own policy and decision making while all of this was going on. just so one political party could win the elections over this last time around. what else is new lol

at least in the end both the UK and the EU still have access to each other's market, so few(er) jobs will get lost than with the dreaded no deal exit

of course Boris Johnson is selling this as a victory. He had to give in to the EU on about 9 out of 10 points though. the EU doesn't want a local version of Singapore to deal with
    Retired.