Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: News from around the world

Tens of thousands of French demonstrated in the streets today because of the murder. Looks like most people wore facemasks. France is deep in the second COVI wave right now.
    Retired.

In the beheading of the French history teacher who showed cartoons of Muhammed when he discussed freedom of the press, the enquiry has shown that pupils of the school where he worked pointed him out to the murderer for money. I have to say I'm extra disgusted right now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54598546
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    Looks like Macron has closed over 70 mosques
    Macron's ratings are pretty low so he is going for the whole French patriot thing in a bid to get re-elected. That's why he has also taken a very pro-Europe stance. For example he is being 'tough' regarding the Brexit negotiations. It's just posturing though as he also takes a very soft stance towards Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    What a debate for a country to have, I guess nothing happens in Finland.

I can't imagine her meeting up with Trump or all the other old political goons at a NATO meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    What a debate for a country to have, I guess nothing happens in Finland.
    First world problems indeed.

The pupil(s) who pointed out the history teacher in France netted $355. I guess killing comes cheap these days.
    Retired.

Lol Jesus.
    Retired.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/1...chool-teacher/

Is there a mug shot of this guy yet?

That article is interesting. Linking the incident to Hamas is random when there are plenty radical groups more active in Europe. Linking to Hamas though makes this 100% political and plays to the Saudi narrative in the current Middle Eastern Proxy War.

^^wow, they're not playing around, damn

Erdogan is using Macron's closing of mosques to his own political advantage with the 'check your mental health, Macron' cries and his demand that Muslims boycot French products. his demand has been heard and followed in quite a few countries with large Muslim populations. which of course doesn't mean all Muslims in those countries are taking part in the boycot. anyway, this adds to Erdogan's image of righteous Muslim who stands up for Muslims worldwide. nothing wrong with that exactly, apart from me doubting Erdogan is doing this for religious reasons, moreso for political gain at home and abroad I think. btw Erdogan is not the only one making this boycot demand

Erdogan doesn't (want to) make a distinction between Macron coming down on Muslim extremists / terrorists (they are called Islamists round here but I don't know if that's an international term tbh) and Macron supposedly having it in for Muslims in general

a closer look at the mosques Macron had closed down is probably in order to see just if he pinned down the 'right' mosques to close. I was unable to find a list of mosques that were shut down nor did I find a list of criteria used by the government online. I had a look in French too, but still no luck. I'd like to find out though ...
    Retired.

Eurdogan’s a punk who thinks he’s reviving the glory days of the Khalif and the Ottoman Empire lol

Banned

The military in Belarus are shooting tank shells at the protest crowds

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/statu...36826595856384
    Oh it’s coming...

a cease fire has been reached between Armenia and Azerbaijan
    https://www.theonion.com/armenia-aze...-ce-1845484791

lol pretty much
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    Eurdogan’s a punk who thinks he’s reviving the glory days of the Khalif and the Ottoman Empire lol
    Charlie Hebdo, the French satire magazine, has published a cartoon in response to Erdogan calling out Macron and the boycott of French products

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElV7lPaX...g&name=900x900

Honestly Charlie Hebdo never clicked with me. Their cartoons are not funny and they hammer the message home really bluntly.

Sure freedom of the press and all that, I definitely believe in that, but these guys hardly bring any food for thought to the table.

So you've got Erdogan looking at a muslim woman's naked behind here, saying 'Oh it's the prophet'. Funny? No. Contributing to the discussion? No. Giving Erdogan a run for his money? No. Jeopardizing Erdogan's position of power within the Muslim community? Hell no. So what have you achieved? Nothing. The right to laugh at anybody and over anything? Sure, there's that. That's a really low bar to set though.

If anything Charlie Hebdo should have UPPED their game after they were attacked. OK kinda hard when half the employees were shot to pieces but you know what I mean. This is one of those cases where a person or a group is important as a symbol because of the idea they represent but the actual content they provide is subpar.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 10-28-2020 at 01:09 AM.
    Retired.

Charlie Hebdo, the French satire magazine, has published a cartoon in response to Erdogan calling out Macron and the boycot of French products

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElV7lPaX...g&name=900x900

Honestly Charlie Hebdo never clicked with me. Their cartoons are not funny and they hammer the message home really bluntly.

Sure freedom of the press and all that, I definitely believe in that, but these guys hardly bring any food for thought to the table.

So you've got Erdogan looking at a muslim woman's naked behind here, saying 'Oh it's the prophet'. Funny? No. Contributing to the discussion? No. Giving Erdogan a run for his money? No. Jeopardizing Erdogan's position of power within the Muslim community? Hell no. So what have you achieved? Nothing. The right to laugh at anybody and over anything? Sure, there's that. That's a really low bar to set though.

If anything Charlie Hebdo should have UPPED their game after they were attacked. OK kinda hard when half the employees were shot to pieces but you know what I mean. This is one of those cases where a person or a group is important as a symbol because of the idea they represent but the actual content they provide is subpar.
    This is super dangerous and it pisses me off not because they mock Erdogan but Erdogan is a guy who gained so much popularity in Turkey thanks to being the oppressed. He uses it as a weapon and well the French have just handed him a nuclear bomb. Turks are just sighing at Charlie Hebdo because they are giving him the ammo to use in domestic politics. In polls for the first time in 20 years Erdogan's ratings is below 30%. For some reason the Europeans are doing everything they can to push that back up. He feeds of the 'us against the world' narration. Whenever there's an election in Turkey Erdogan picks one country, picks a fight with them and consolidates his own support thanks to that. After elections all go back to normal. Like Israel, supposedly shits bad right? But since Erdogan broke ties diplomatically, economically trade between the two has tripled. Now European nations kinda woke up to this and Germany stays quiet in order not to give him political ammo but Macron took the bait. Erdogan has ramped up the rhetoric because he is trying to bait sanctions as well. He wants the EU and US to sanction Turkey in some manner. He knows the sanctions will be minimal but he just wants to say "look the economy ain't bad because of me and my useless son in law but exterior nations attacking us". That's his plan.

There are 1 million Turks in France to, half the imams in mosques across France are Turkish. That's one reason why Erdogan lashed out at Macron's supposed crackdown on mosques. Turkey has began using mosques and imams as a source to gather intelligence on Turks in Europe. I'm not sure but these imams are appointed by Turkish religious affairs. That might not be the case in France but it is in Germany and the UK for example.

This puts a bigger target on the back of Charlie Hebdo. I won't be surprised if right-wing Turkish mafias in Europe go after them.

The whole boycott of France is fucking dumb for the President himself to call for it is worse. This isn't just Erdogan talk, the guys who advise him and his son-in law who is number 2 are fucking stupid people. Erdogan got rid of all the intelligent people around him because they were at times outshining him. What's worse is Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries under Saudi pressure are boycotting Turkish products. Saudi Arabia even telling their citizens to sell their property in Turkey. So for someone who bites at anyone who does anything against Turkey, Erdogan and his government hasn't said shit about the Arab boycott because they are Arab lovers.

A good example of their mentality is the Coronavirus response. The ministry of health said last week that Istanbul is the epicentre in Turkey and shits bad which is normal as it's a city of 20million now. However they do not tell the Mayor of Istanbul, the guy who runs the city how many cases are present in his city. They had a meeting about the cases in the city, the minister of health and all government appointed officials like the governer and police officials attended. They are talking about Istanbul but they didn't call the fucking elected mayor of the city to this crucial meeting. That's how ludicrous and spiteful the ruling party in Turkey is and that's why they will milk this Charlie Hebdo thing as much as they can.

Banned

Shits weird over there. France seems like a mess.

Hal, fill me in. What’s the deal with France?

France as a nation has had a difficult relationship with religion throughout its history. A sense of the importance of and the 'law' of separating the body of power (back then a king) from the meddling of the pope in Rom has evolved, over the centuries, into France being very strict on religion, moreso since the 1980s on the rise of extremist forms of islam in France.

Here's a historical rundown, with the most relevant parts being the beginning and ending. (The stuff in between provides examples like the status of religion during the French Revolution and the Empire of Napoleon)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...rd-grasp%3famp

as you can read above this concept is known as 'laïcité' in France and is very dear to politicians and to most people. However, since laïcité in France is much stricter than communitarianism in other countries, France often finds itself in a very difficult position when dealing with the renewed interest in (Muslim) religion.

Maybe the Charlie Hebdo cartoons are examples of the French trying to defend their laïcité and going in overdrive since they are overwhelmed by the expansion of (extremist) Muslim beliefs in France
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 10-28-2020 at 01:37 AM.
    Retired.