Thread: Cypress Hill's III(Temples Of Boom) dropped twenty five years ago today.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Default Cypress Hill's III(Temples Of Boom) dropped twenty five years ago today.

My favorite album by them

It's a great album. Down here the local music press slaughtered this album for no good reason. Cypress Hill were considered a 'festival band' in Europe. Their hiphop was seen as 'party hiphop' and 'weed hiphop'. Very strange considering the actual content of their first two albums, which are quite dark in places. I guess the press focused on the singles that received huge airplay and on their short set performances at large open air festivals throughout Europe.

So when III came out Cypress Hill suddenly fell out of favor with the critics. The fans still loved it though. It was another major hit in hiphop circles.

I still play this album frequently. Along with Skull & Bones this is the album I play the most. I've got love for all their albums (and EPs) though.
    Retired.

Yeah, it is so dark and murky with no radio ready songs and still went platinum

Default classic

The ABBOTT

This is one of my favorite albums. It is good to know there are others out there who also appreciate how great this was. Lots of nostalgia for me.

Does anyone think that after this release, Cypress Hill's sound changes for the worst and never recaptures the essence of their first three albums.

I agree that the first 3 were the best, as cohesive albums. The rap disc on Skull & Bones comes close (well, closish) too.

IV wasn't a bad album, hell it's got some GREAT songs, but it was a bit too long for me and it doesn't flow as well in the 'full album' way as III. Some songs on III were also simply stronger than on IV. I don't revisit IV much. I'll play it this afternoon while doing some work on the scanner/computer and see what's up.
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

I find that after first three albums. They were trying to capture the west coast sound of the time more. Just my opinion though. I would understand if someone preferred their direction.

I think IV was the start of the Rock/Rap crossover direction, and that's what went wrong with IV. IV is still a really dope album imo, but there's a couple of rock/rap joints that messes up the whole flow of the album for me. And Dr. Greenthumb was all over MTV in '98 so I pretty much can't listen to that song now haha.

III is a stone cold classic! I can't believe they haven't done a 25th anniversary reissue or something. Muggs been saying for years that he's got loads of unreleased tracks from the Temples of Boom era. I wish he would just put them out man!

Not sure if anyone here checks for DJ Filthy Rich's mixes... but he just dropped a Temples of Boom 25th anniversary mix and it's dope as hell!! I think he's got the mix up on his youtube and souncloud.

Peace!

DJ Filthy Rich is the truuf. thanks for telling me about the new mix, I gotta go check it out.
    Retired.

Yup Filthy Rich is dope. I buy all of his deluxe mixes for the split tracks and extras.

The Cypress one is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    I think IV was the start of the Rock/Rap crossover direction, and that's what went wrong with IV. IV is still a really dope album imo, but there's a couple of rock/rap joints that messes up the whole flow of the album for me. And Dr. Greenthumb was all over MTV in '98 so I pretty much can't listen to that song now haha.

III is a stone cold classic! I can't believe they haven't done a 25th anniversary reissue or something. Muggs been saying for years that he's got loads of unreleased tracks from the Temples of Boom era. I wish he would just put them out man!

Not sure if anyone here checks for DJ Filthy Rich's mixes... but he just dropped a Temples of Boom 25th anniversary mix and it's dope as hell!! I think he's got the mix up on his youtube and souncloud.

Peace!
    For real. I am all for anything Temples Of Boom era. He said he has the dat tapes of Whooliganz and Call O' Da Wild in storage.

Classic