Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Arena rock**

Thumbs up **Arena rock**

I just went for broke literally on Amazon buying a sh*tload of classic rock / arena rock / seventies rock albums, to get me through lockdown part deux the right way

everything should arrive on Friday. I'll post vids of some of the songs I like in the coming weeks. meanwhile please feel free to post any arena rock, classic rock, seventies rock etc. you enjoy. I'm sure all of you are far more familiar with the genre than me

for southern rock, there's this thread already

https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...-Southern-rock

Let me just leave you right now with a cut from the album that got the most play at my place this year. it was gifted to me by a friend who bought a remaster for himself

I love this album. the guitar playing is amazing

full album below

Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-02-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Retired.

^^dope!

I guess the following is more prog rock / soft rock or whatever genre but in any case this is on one of the compilations that arrived yesterday

didn't know knewcheeze had tunes this good tbh. I guess songs like these are wellknown in the US but I'd never heard this one before

I'm liking their best of, both the proggy parts and the softy parts

this morning I was listening to Chicago. they managed to cram one of their best of double disc set with ballads only. I thought I was in a different reality some of their ballads are pretty good admittedly

then this one started off cd2 and we were back in business - the business of rock

tbh I didn't know Chicago and Hendrix had played shows together but then again my knowledge of rock is subpar

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/w...-the-universe/

yesterday I was listening to some Boston but their greatest hits did not immediately click with me. very slick production, which I gather was new at the time, all the intricate layering of instruments. I'll just relisten later on this week. this one still goes though (only track I was familiar with)

Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

Least cool band ever? I don't care.
    thanks for a great pick, man. they have some MAJOR songs, bonafide anthems. I love their discography up until and including Zoorupa.

lol 2 days ago I was visiting my relatives and as soon as I came in my mom said 'Somebody in U2 offed himself! it was just on the news!!!' I was like wtf, let me go online right now. nothing. turns out some YouTube poster superfamous with the Belgian kids had offed himself by taking a permanent river dive. turns out my mom is not familiar with YouTube in 2020. I can't even hahaha
    Retired.

^ Haha. I actually think Zooropa is their best album, it's so cynical lol, and ahead of it's time in many ways.

I am listening to REO Speedwagon and Journey today. I'll post tracks later. But my buddy just sent me this favorite solo track from Ken Hensley (Uriah Heep), which I would like to share here. I'm completely blown away

bluesy song and great guitar work
    Retired.

off the REO Speedwagon comp I got the last two songs are the most rocking and the best imo. some of their ballads are (borderline) cheesy but I gotta say they're a guilty pleasure

anyway, these uptempo ones I get down with

Retired.

I've been massively in to Paul McCartney and Wings over the last few weeks.

Early to mid-70's Wings were one of the top stadium rock acts at that time in my opinion.

Love this one!

^^ swings & rocks at the same time. excellent! never heard it before
    Retired.

listening to an Uriah Heep double disc set. some straight out rockers, some more prog rock songs too

these longer songs stuck with me

I'm liking this band, I might buy some of their early back catalogue (late sixties, early seventies) next year

good use of organ on some of their songs, somewhat reminiscent of Deep Purple
    Retired.

On my recent arena rock quest today I came upon my first dud : Asia.

IDK man, this might be the only band ever I might be able to appreciate in an ironic way. I can't stop listening to their greatest hits haha. it's like watching a train collision. in fact, there is so much guilty pleasure here I might have to invest in a box set of their first three albums which are supposed to be their best

so what makes this band a bit cringe to me?

* lyrics are super cliché

* the production is always clean to the point of being extremely polished

* you can tell that the musicians are VERY good but the music is purposely aimed at the largest possible crowd, it's like they're holding back

* it's awkard that they're all from a (prog) rock background (YES, ELP etc.) and go for power pop here. I guess it's bands like this one that sometimes give 'super groups' a bad name

an example of the bad. pay special attention to the hilarious lyrics

I did manage to find one song that I genuinely think is okay, mostly because of the guitar parts

I might watch some live clips to see if these guys rock out when they're not in a studio environment. I'd love to hear Steve Howe (formerly of YES) play extended solos to give these the power pop tracks some more crunch

all in all I'd say this kind of music makes for good background music

please feel free to disagree

next month I'll be able to compare Asia to Bad Company, another so called 'super group' I've got a compilation album coming in from
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    Retired.

Default Iconic

^^I NEED to get my hands on some good KISS. it's on my list for next month. these KISS tracks you post are killers. thanks

over the last two days, next to Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore and Ian Gillan (solo) I was also listening to Whitesnake

I like the midtempo tracks that have kind of a bluesy feel best. David Coverdale is not always very original with the lyrics, not that that's a prerequisite at all, but that would just keep me more interested for a longer period of time when listening to a comp or full album. GREAT voice though. I might invest in a more extensive 3 disc comp or the album '1987' later, unless you guys could point me to a better starting point. Right now I have a 'Best of'.
    Retired.