local media are reporting that Disney+ will show an 8 episode docu series on certain aspects of the Marvel universe / industry starting November 20 (this might be the release date for Europe, idk)

the article I read states that each episode will be filmed by a different documentary director and will each focus on one specific topic. themes include the Japanese Spider-Man (I have no idea), long forgotten superheroes and collectors of action figures. another episode deals with women in Marvel history. this episode is called 'Higher, Further, Faster' and is directed by Gillian Jacobs, actress in 'Community' and 'Love' (I don't know these shows) and also apparently a director of documentaries

the article had a little interview with Jacobs. it was pretty interesting.

* half of the comic book readers were women in the early days (I had no idea). this only changed in 1954 when the American government deemed comic books inappropriate for young children. Marvel and other publishers had to cancel a lot of characters and started focusing on their most reliable readers : teenage boys.

* apparently in those early days (pre 1954) there were a lot of female authors of comic books and a lot of female superheroes, like one Miss Fury (never heard of her myself)

then there were some questions about Jacobs' personal fav heroes, which might be of less interest to all of you. she only mentioned Kamala Khan, the first Muslim superhero who debuted in 2014 as Ms. Marvel. I heard of that character back in the day in the news. apparently the person who created the character, a certain Sana Amanat, got to meet Barack Obama. she now works for Disney+ and is developing a series that revolves around that character

finally there was the now obligatory question about superheroes being mostly straight white males and whether this was evolving. Jacobs mentioned Nilah Magruder, who seems to be the very first African-American woman to write a Marvel comic. Personally, I was a bit surprised by that answer. I mean, 2016? that seems pretty late in the game. I'd have guessed something like that would have already happened in the seventies, maybe the eighties. Nilah Magruder is interviewed at the end of Jacobs' episode

basically I transcribed the whole article I read, I hope this gives all of you some good background on the show

I hope you enjoy the show. I don't have Disney+. MAYBE I'll subscribe if this is good (although Disney doesn't have much content for adults) so it would be cool if some you post in the thread to tell the rest of us if the show is any good

peace