Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian music

I'm REALLY enjoying the Cold Chisel compilation. very strong material. they sound even better live, it has some extra punch. I'd be willing to shell out for a live album if it ever becomes available down here. some of the guitar work on the tracks reminds me of The Police (rhythm guitar) but mostly they just sound like themselves. not one weak track on here. excellent song selection. they are both good at the harder and at the softer tracks. I'll also say they are very good at writing hooks

some highlights for me include :

Rising Sun
    You got nothing I want
    Misfits
    Breakfast at my sweethearts
    Bow River
    Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)

my absolute favorite might be Forever Now

but in fact I like everything on here

this band might just be the discovery of the month for me

I also listened to Little River Band but tbh while some of the tracks are solid, other material seems to be veering toward easy listening material. I need to give that album some more spins to really decide how I feel about this band. I think I had expected more of a rock or a groove feel but I don't know what I based that assumption on in the first place because the tracks on YouTube I listened to weren't rockers either. because I love the Cold Chisel material I seem to be playing that album much more currently

back to Australian music in general, I need to purchase an INXS comp. I used to have one but I sold about a quarter of my whole CD collection to finance a trip to NZ. I found a supercheap comp that'll definitely find itself on my very next list of purchases. I might dip into some of their studio albums as well but I could use some guidance there. any input would be appreciated. just about all of their albums are available down here at very reasonable prices

I was also wondering about these bands, if you would be willing to shed some light : Men At Work and Midnight Oil. I only know them from their lone international hit single but are they actually worth listening to for a whole album? that one guy from Midnight Oil went into politics, right? both have albums out down here that I could afford
    Retired.

Upon listening some more to Little River Band right now some of the Eagles' output comes to mind
    Retired.

all my friends been getting divorced though
    Retired.

School me on Cosmic Psychos.
    Retired.

Banned

I didn't see these replies.

tbh I never really fucked with Midnight Oil. They were pretty popular in the 80s and usually rank high up on top bands list and with Diesel and Dust + 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 they're considered great albums. They're too...."give the aboriginals the land back and pay the rent" for my liking lol\

Musically they're great but yeah their subject matter doesn't resonate with me.

Beds Are Burning is probably their biggest hit

Peter Garrett was a politician, I think he had a stint or attempts to enter politics in the 80s but he got shoehorned in to a VERY safe ALP seat in Sydney which at the time in the mid 2000s had only seen 3 members serve since the late 1940s so there was really no challenge to his entering politics and IIRC there was big controversy from within the party about it. The only thing I and probably most people really remember about his political career was the disaster fail of the home insulation program that killed a few people and created a lot of corruption https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...513-zrbnw.html

Honestly never heard of them I'll ask my dad about them.

My dad was trying to sell me a band called The Saints over christmas, sounds like early punk

Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^^good tune. I see they have 4 disc comp out with their early albums and a live set

I found Cosmic Psychos on a list w/ international punk pop bands

that INXS comp arrived today. I was unfamiliar with about half of the tracks, good stuff. I had kind of forgotten just how huge they were back in the day
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 01-12-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Banned

Michael Hutchence's death was so big when I was a kid. He died when I was about 10 so obviously I had no idea of his impact but it was inescapable and really was big news. I can't think of any Australian that has died in my life time that caused as much outpouring of grief due to age and unexpectedness as Michael Hutchence besides probably Steve Irwin and maybe to a lesser extent Peter Brock who was the great Australian race car driver that died in a race or Phil Hughes who was an Australian cricketer that died during a game after being hit in the head with the ball.

A few years ago there was a TV mini series called INXS: Never Tear Us Apart and there was something else INXS related at the time I can't remember maybe they did a concert or something. I didn't watch it but it was huge the kind of thing being talked about everywhere.

I don't rate or fuck with Iggy Pop/The Stooges so IMO this song is way better than the original but I'm biased because I broke many a copy of the Batman Forever soundtrack cassette lol

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

never heard that solo track before, very dramatic sounding backdrop. works well with Hutchence holding back some when he sings on here. sounds much more sinister than the Iggy Pop original

this version gave me a Nine Inch Nails vibe for some reason
    Retired.

Banned

As for Men At Work, I thought they only had two albums apparently they had 3.

Business As Usual had the Down Under song but I really like Who Can It Be Now too

These were from their second album Cargo

It's worth getting in to both albums if you enjoy these songs IMO

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Great song by the Hoodoo Gurus "What's My Scene"

Which spawned arguably the best sporting theme song in Australian history (besides Come on Aussie and Simply the best) That's My Team also by the Hoodoo Gurus, that's must've made some good coin off the rights and royalties to this song and honestly I think this song replaced the original which is crazy since it's a sport theme song

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

The ABBOTT

I didn't submit a list for death pool. But i would put any of this guys on top of the list. They have to have a mountain of cash, can't believe they still making new music.

Last edited by b-dolo; 01-14-2021 at 01:10 AM.

Banned

Hal, did you ever hear the band Jet? I think this song got pretty good airtime worldwide. I was like 16 when it came out and my first girlfriend used to play it for me which was a welcome change from her Nirvana obsession

I always liked this song the best it sounds like some AC/DC tribute band from the pub

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I didn't submit a list for death pool. But i would put any of this guys on top of the list. They have to have a mountain of cash, can't believe they still making new music.

it was almost incredible they were able to record another album. the singer was almost deaf, he had a new top of tge line hearing aid made. (they were touring with Axl Rose before) one of the members had been in jail, I think it was the drummer. haven't heard the new album yet

Hound those Men At Work songs sound great, I'll see what I can get my hands on. I knew OF Jet but I'd never actually heard them. Good stuff
    Retired.

Banned

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Full disclosure and this is gonna make me look really stupid but I didn't know Nick Cave is an Aussie.

Welcome back Hound! Hope life's been treating you well.
    Retired.