Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian music

Banned

Default Australian music

Somebody get NOEL DA GAWD in here he knows more of JJ than I do but we gotta get the obvious one out of the way

AC/DC - Bon Scott or Brian Johnson? I heard a lot of AC/DC when I was a kid since it was my old man's era and he was exclusively a Bon Scott era guy so a lot of pre-Back in Black work is more nostalgic for me but I love Back in Black album the most

Angus Young is the star but Malcolm Young is my favourite he's right up there with Tony Iommi as my favourite guitarists and he's the soul of AC/DC with those epic riffs

I fucking love this opening riff

A nostlagic classic, reminds me of my old man driving me to cricket on a saturday morning

It's a long way to the cross if you want to fuck a mole

Easily my favourite song of theirs and I hate the fact that the Penrith Panthers use this music to run out on the field to
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Now to take the nostalgia in to overdrive. I present to you:

REGURGITATOR. Basically just going to post 3/4 of Unit

Regurgitator made social anxiety cool

10 year old me was OBSESSED with this song and I'm still dirty this only made 26 on the 1998 hottest 100

My favourite video clip ever

Their best song IMO and as relevant today as it was in 1997, probably more so

Subtle dig at fans on the opening track of their second album which took a different musical direction, love it

First song of theirs I heard. Pretty smart to lead their second album with "the old style"

My sex life summed up in one song

One of their best and most popular songs from the debut album

Incredibly controversial song that was ironically heavily criticised by the stuck in the closet homosexual radio jock Alan Jones

Their videos were always out there another classic in the Modern Life vein

Gotta love something dissing cops

Their deadpan delivery of satire was unmatched

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

this thread is a great idea. it's always enjoyable to discover new music

I'm definitely ready for more bands

Hound if I were to buy 5 AC/DC albums, which ones should I go for? right now I have these on my list, based on other people's recommendations

Let there be rock
    High voltage
    Back in black
    Highway to hell

so there's room for more

would you also recommend a live album?

I was listening to some Nazareth yesterday (I was not really familiar with them) and it struck me how some of their songs sound like AC/DC
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-24-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    this thread is a great idea. it's always enjoyable to discover new music

I'm definitely ready for more bands

Hound if I were to buy 5 AC/DC albums, which ones should I go for? right now I have these on my list, based on other people's recommendations

Let there be rock
    High voltage
    Back in black
    Highway to hell

so there's room for more

would you also recommend a live album?

I was listening to some Nazareth yesterday (I was not really familiar with them) and it struck how some of their songs sound like AC/DC
    I haven't listened to a live album of theirs before tbh but I do believe they have a live album recorded with Bon Scott which is extremely well regarded

You gotta be a bit careful buying their earlier stuff. Their debut album in Australia was call High Voltage but it's not the same as their international album called High Voltage which was made up of songs from High Voltage and TNT (first two Australian releases) so the international version is this album cover:

I'd go with those 4 you mentioned and probably chuck in Powerage, it doesn't really have the hits that will fill up a compilation album but it's hard as fuck

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Silverchair.

They were like 14 and won a TV band contest, got a record deal out of it and had one of the biggest hits of the 1990s at 15 years old with Tomorrow. Looking back it's pretty crazy that 14/15 year olds were making such great music, I never thought of it like that since i was younger than them at the time and caught on them a bit later in the decade in between Freak Show and Neon Ballroom

I fuck with Frogstomp the most. Freak Show had some cool songs I still play today

Crazy to think Johns is 17 on that album ^^

**INTERMISSION**

Isn't it a bit funny that the two greatest exports from Newcastle occurred in the mid 1990's and both featured the surname of Johns? Daniel Johns being the guitarist, vocalist, song writer for Silverchair and Andrew Johns being the legendary halfback for the Newcastle Knights winning the epic 1997 grand final. What a time for the Novacastrians

**RESUMPTION OF PLAY**

I was so hyped for Neon Ballroom after hearing Anthem for the Year 2000 which is another song way ahead of its time and more relevant now than it was in 1999/2000, it also remains a staple in any gym playlist I make

But Neon Ballroom went away from their previous sound and got all experimental and I didn't fuck with it so I stopped listening to them. There's probably a top notch album in there but I'm probably never going to bring myself to listen to it

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

The Living End

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I'm looking to invest my €€€ in Cold Chisel. I found a comp of theirs on Amazon. they came up on a list of Aussie (pub) rock bands I was going through last week or so

this one below sounds great to my ears

better audio quality / longer version below (also live)

this is the comp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Cold_Chisel

(it's the one disc edition that's up for sale, for about €7)

I think I'm gonna put this one of my shopping list for January

today I received albums by Styx (five albums), Ian Gillan (Band), Asia, Blackfoot (five albums), Rush and the Allman Brothers so I'm good for a lot of listening and some posts about it on here for the next few weeks

I'll be checking out The Living End and Skyhooks vids you posted later on today
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-28-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Banned

What Rush albums did you get? I have A Farewell To Kings on vinyl but 2112 is a masterpiece that's my jam

Cold Chisel are like the definitive pub rock / hard rock band in Australia, I'd go as far as to say they are ALMOST the people's favourite even above AC/DC.

Barnsey (lead singer of Cold Chisel) had a pretty successful solo career and it didn't come much bigger than this:

NGL, Khe Sanh is SO OVERPLAYED in Australia I kind of hate it lol

Another Triple M favourite

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

it's a Rush double disc comp. I had a one disc comp before. the songs on there were my incentive to buy a larger comp. the studio albums are a bit more expensive down here. the ones I'm gonna buy in January are 2112 (listened to it online several times, it's amazing), A Farewell To Kings (only available here in a 3 disc anniversary edition, but at a reasonable price) and Moving Pictures. those three for sure. I might also buy Fly By Night

thanks for mentioning Barnsey had/has a solo career too, I'll go through a list of his work online. I see the vid shows he has a comp out too, that would probably the album of his most easily obtainable down here. great song, that 'Working Class Man'. has that instant classic sound

btw while thankfully it's still possible to obtain music by Australian bands down here (new copies I mean), it's virtually impossible to get anything NZ down here, except for Split Enz/Crowded House/members' solo albums. for now I just use YouTube to listen to NZ music, for example Dragon. my interest is mostly seventies rock right now, in all subgenres

Banned

I've only heard 2112 and A Farewell To Kings albums and individual songs, Fly By Night has Anthem which is one of my favourite Rush songs although I don't think their albums were well received until 2112 which is all time greatness.

Just to point out that Crowded House are Australian despite protestations from Kiwis that they're not even though Finn says they're PROUDLY AUSTRALIAN MADE even if they're from Melbourne (Victoria should be kicked out of Australia btw)

A good time to throw this up:

Off the top of my head this is the only Kiwi artist I can think of, this song was hot af in 2004/05 whenever it came out

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Warumpi Band are the shit too

I remember Christine Anu came out with a cover of this song in the mid 90s so I was pleasently surprised to hear the original superior version was from Warumpi Band, a bit like Strawberry Letter 23 where the original is better but the cover is famous

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

oh I'm sorry about getting it wrong about Crowded House, you are of course right. I must have misremembered from before. it might also go toward explaining why their catalog is easily obtainable down here as opposed to Kiwi artists

'Don't Dream It's Over' is the first song of theirs I ever heard on the radio. I was ten when it dropped
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-28-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Banned

dw I blame Kiwis for the misconception, they're just jealous because we invented pavlova, lamingtons and don't even claim Russell Crowe as one of our own.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

I feel like Hal would love The Angels. I think the hierarchy of hard rock bans in Australia goes AC/DC -> then The Angels and Cold Chisel right behind. AC/DC obviously gained worldwide popularity and fame but here in Australia those three are very close in popularity, at least for the people of that generation and then later on became pretty popular with my generation before his death since Doc Neeson (lead singer) was a legend and got involved with supporting a lot of local music, especially when the Sando in Newtown was closed down (one of the most popular live music venues in Sydney which basically all but killed the live music scene here) which probably puts The Angels ahead of Cold Chisel.

Can't mention The Angels without the obvious hit

But there's an alternate version with crowd involvement which isn't official but they embraced it and it became a live fixture

Personally my favourite song:

Quoting ≠ Agreement.