Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian music

I was talking to a friend about Cold Chisel and he told me to check out The Angels, internationally known as Angel City (because there is an American band called Angel)

Idk how well known this band is

btw this is a song by that American band Angel for comparison's sake

didn't know about these guys either, same friend told me about them
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-30-2020 at 01:50 PM.

never knew these guys were Australian. I was looking for bands somewhat similar to Chicago and this band came up in the suggestions. I'd heard of them but always assumed they were American

didn't know these tracks but apparently they were pretty big back in the day

putting these guys on my to buy list, they have some really good value for money comps out

Banned

Did any of your cds arrive?

Haha Little River Band, there's something I haven't heard in 25 years. I haven't heard much of their stuff but Reminiscing is one of those songs you'll hear on the radio a lot.

TIL that this isn't the original version of the song, I've been living a false narrative since about 1998

I tried listening to the original but I can't do it, this version is too ingrained in my history. I had this on Hit Machine 20 lmao https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hit-...elease/3227496 those cds were the shit back in the day.

This came on a playlist at work today, fuckin banger used to dump pills at clubs and wait for this one to come on

Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

it's only now that I see that in the last post on the first page you discussed some Angels song, then on the second page I start talking about The Angels independently lol. I had literally just had that convo w/ my buddy about Cold Chisel and The Angels online. IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE UNIVERSE'S DOING

anyway I'm gonna check the Angels songs you posted - thanks man - and everything in the post right above this one tomorrow after a shitload of digital meetings and get back to you on the whole shebang

to answer your question, I'm expecting a lot of Fleetwood Mac albums just before Christmas and then between Christmas and New Years I'm placing the order for Cold Chisel and Little River Band, along with some suggestions made by Satan. where I live only one The Angels album can be bought new, I might hold out on that one a little while since it's a bit more expensive. my order should arrive early January. I'll post some of my thoughts on how I like the albums in long winded painful Brock track reviews fashion for your enjoyment. I might even include different colors and shit, that Tru BroKKK feel
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    Off the top of my head this is the only Kiwi artist I can think of, this song was hot af in 2004/05 whenever it came out

yeah this track is pretty nice. catchy beat. makes me think of some beats Ludacris rapped on back in the day.

incidentally, this week I'm binging 'The Brokenwood Mysteries', which is a slightly humorous NZ detective show in the vein of 'Midsomer Murders' but less serious. they've got some running gags I appreciate like this relaxed Maori dude Jared always being involved in every case as an innocent bystander type. IDK if this show got some traction in Australia

dw I blame Kiwis for the misconception, they're just jealous because we invented pavlova, lamingtons and don't even claim Russell Crowe as one of our own.

very eighties. elegant synthpop. I dig it
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-16-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    Retired.

I feel like Hal would love The Angels. I think the hierarchy of hard rock bans in Australia goes AC/DC -> then The Angels and Cold Chisel right behind. AC/DC obviously gained worldwide popularity and fame but here in Australia those three are very close in popularity, at least for the people of that generation and then later on became pretty popular with my generation before his death since Doc Neeson (lead singer) was a legend and got involved with supporting a lot of local music, especially when the Sando in Newtown was closed down (one of the most popular live music venues in Sydney which basically all but killed the live music scene here) which probably puts The Angels ahead of Cold Chisel.

Can't mention The Angels without the obvious hit

But there's an alternate version with crowd involvement which isn't official but they embraced it and it became a live fixture

Personally my favourite song:

damn, listening to these I really gotta invest in this band haha. 'Face to face', the only album available down here, contains 'Am I ever gonna see your face again'. that LIVE version you posted works really well. superior to the album version imho

good Animals cover too

yeah I'm liking these dudes!
    Retired.

Banned

So a bit of history because Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again / The Angels had a resurgence of popularity due to a parody cover.

Fighting in rugby league was pretty big and slowly but surely it started getting removed from the game. An ex-player turned in to commentator and panelist on a footy variety comedy show developed these characters and one was a bogan stereotype who wanted nothing more than to see "the biff" aka fighting return to rugby league and he released this gem "Am I Ever Gonna See The Biff Again" lol I fuck with it

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

ordered Cold Chisel and Little River Band today, will arrive on Dec 26. I'll post some feedback. ordered some Black Venom and Skid Row too btw
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-19-2020 at 05:45 AM.
    Retired.

Banned

^^ Real talk, To The Moon and Back was a fuckin banger in 1997

@Hal, I was going to put this in the "best use of pop / rock songs in film" thread but figured I'd put it here and kick off the Powderfinger section.

They're not a band I ever really got in to but they were really big in the late 90's early 2000's here so I know their hits. This song "These Days" was used in the ending to the movie Two Hands (Heath Ledger, Rose Byrne) probably don't watch this is if the film interests you though

Passenger, great song

My Happiness, arguably their greatest song and maybe their biggest hit definitely an all time favourite song of mine

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^^I'm liking what I'm hearing!

the Cold Chisel CD just arrived. I'll be listening today and posting some feedback. I browsed the booklet, very well put together for a greatest hits comp. it's got some liner notes on each tracks. there are 18 songs on there

back to Powderfinger. they have some studio albums available down here (I only buy new, not used), but it's specialty import, prices from $25 to $35 a piece w/ additional shipping costs. I'll give some more tracks a listen and then I might decide to buy their greatest hits album (1994-2000), which is the cheapest to get for about $25, when I get my tax returns in February.

the Little River Band album should arrive here sometime later this week

I didn't know Savage Garden were Australian btw
    Retired.

Banned

Yeah Savage Garden are from Brisbane, they were huge out here from 97 to about 2000/01. I was in to hard rock and rap so SG weren't my thing but I still enjoy hearing To The Moon and Back on the radio that song is nostalgic for me.

I'm not sure what Powderfinger albums are their best but JJJ ranked Odyssey Number Five as the best Australian album ever, Internationallist at 6 and Vulture Street at 14. After seeing some of the rankings I'd take it with a pinch of salt but it's probably a good indication at least of what order to jump in to their work.

Do you have spotify where you can listen to albums and see if you like them before buying?

Odyssey Number Five has My Happiness and These Days that I posted plus this song which was big back in the day

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

down here you can't get the paying version of Spotify unless you pay by certain credit cards, which is stupid. this is why I don't have Spotify. I don't really fuck with the free version

thanks for mentioning the album picks in that list. those you listed are available down here as special import, like Internationalist. I've enjoyed the tracks of them you posted so far.

LRB came in today, along with Venom and Skid Row, and I'm listening for the first time right now. sounds good so far, but I'm only 4 tracks in. pretty diverse sound based on those 4 selections. I was surprised to see on the inside tray just how many albums they released. 10 by the looks of it. I really don't know anything about them.

short reviews of both LRB and CC (nice picks on that album!) coming soon. it's been raining for 4 days straight here, really shit weather. my relatives went to the seaside but they're FUCKED with this torrent. all I do is listen to music and stream some movies and shows lol. not even my dog wants to go for a walk, I have to drag the poor thing out haha. so yeah, reviews coming today or tomorrow

Savage Garden made it big all over the world I think. they were hugely popular in Europe. number one hits on the charts and all that
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-23-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    Retired.