Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Australian music

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Full disclosure and this is gonna make me look really stupid but I didn't know Nick Cave is an Aussie.

Welcome back Hound! Hope life's been treating you well.
    I didn't even listen to his music until recently his album covers always put me off when I saw them out and about they make it seem like garbage lol
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Speaking of Nick Cave, I used to thrash the shit out of the Batman Forever casette and one of my favourite songs as a kid was this one, hadn't heard this album in about 20 years so didn't even realise I was digging Nick Cave as a kid

I've been digging a Sydney based band from the 1980s called The Church, I keep reading that they're a psychedelic band but nothing I've heard so far sounds psychedelic they just sound like 80s Australian rock to me but I still like it

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I bought a shitload of Nick Cave in April & May. the last three albums or so are slow and hypnotic, with the electronica and violin. I enjoy his earlier ballads too, still getting into his punkier start and his rockers

I only knew The Church from Under The Milky Way until last year or so
    Retired.

Banned

I’ve only listened to the album with The Bad Seeds “From Her To Eternity” which is some weird shit lol
    took me a while to appreciate it. I’ve heard individual songs here and there but haven’t been committed enough to jump in, I feel like I need to listen to him in short spurts

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Nick Cave is god. I don't fuck with his early shit, but pretty much everything from 'Let Love In' onwards is fantastic.

Hound, do u know the Aussie 70's group, 'Band of Light'? They had 2 albums. The first album, 'Total Union' is great.

I don't listen to a lot of Aussie music tbh. I mean I love a bit of pub rock like Chisel, the Oils, Angels, Screaming Jets n all that, n I've listened to a lot of full albums n shit. But it's never been stuff I listened to with regularity or got to know well.

One album from my childhood, like right back to probably my first musical interest when I was probably under 10, is the Johnny Diesel and the Injectors album. I still really dig that shit. His first solo album was good too.

I saw Ian Moss's acoustic show a few years ago too, n it was absolutely fucking awesome. I had a really good seat too.

Banned

Never heard of Band of Light but i'll check that album out. I'll have to listen to Nick Cave from that album onwards as well.

I haven't listened to a lot of Aussie music either besides stuff from the 90s and the obvious stuff like AC/DC and all that, a lot of what I heard and is considered the best is the 1980s rock which has a real....weak sound for my taste and I don't listen to pop and punk so that's a ton of Australian stuff I am not listening to. I've been meaning to dig in to Tame Impala lately, I started on King Gizzard a few months ago and they're alright so far but that was only one album. I dig The Chats though and smoked weed with the singer at a pub in Enmore after a gig lol

I stumbled on a record shop in Melbourne that sells some weird shit I think it's all independent Australian artists and was listening to a band called Low Life, the record shop gives a 13 step detailed guide on 'how to listen to the album' lol they're very dedicated

I don't even know what it is but I kind of like it on first listen

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound
    a 13 step detailed guide on 'how to listen to the album'
    that's both hilarious and endearing. probably a great record shop
    Retired.

I just heard back from my mate. We were going to see Rose Tattoo on Friday (and Tygers of Pan Tang on Sunday) but I had to bail out cuz my right foot's all fucked up. Unfortunately, he told me Rose Tattoo were really bad on stage. I gotta say that's surprising since we're both into their music but he says the energy just wasn't there. Too bad.
    Retired.

Banned

Damn that sucks The Tatts weren't good on stage, I heard great things about them from my dad about their live shows in the 70s and 80s. I am surprised they are still touring tbh I thought they'd be done by now.

Lol, I too have fucked my right foot and been chilling at home for 2 weeks on compo, I'm on comp so leave me alone

Great band, I smoked weed with the singer at the pub after a gig once really chill guy

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    School me on Cosmic Psychos.
    An older god (not that old tho) who used to come into the bottle shop all the thyme (alcoholic, died last year in I think his 50's) used to be really into Aussie music. Him n I talked music all the thyme n he'd bring in cd's n books n shit for me to listen to/read.

He loaned me a Cosmic Psychos cd n also a The Saints cd. It's early Aussie punk rock. Pretty cool from what I remember. I knew the Cosmic Psychos from my early teens, as they had a song in an old (American) skate video I had. I'd never heard them beyond that tho.

Banned

I don't want to give too much shine to Kiwis but Dragon were great and Speak No Evil is a fucking banger, they made enough of their career in Australia to rate a mention here

Another great song asking the important question

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Those Dragon tracks are smokin'

agree on "the important question" lol
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Great Australian DJ