Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The NON HIPHOP Albums You Have Recently Bought Thread

that Ram Jam 'best of' (just both their seventies albums slapped together on one CD) is really good. great rock. I'd definitely recommend
    Retired.

KISS and Aerosmith 'Gold' compilations, remastered double album comps

Bob Marley : https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Marley-S...lease/12887341 : 3 discs of pre-Island Marley at only $4 total. Got some more reggae coming in later this month
    Retired.

Missed a docu on ZZ Top on tv the other day. my buddy the rock afficionado said it was so good I ordered a 5 cd budget box with all their big albums like Rio Grande Mud, Eliminator and the ones with the Spanish names. Good that missing the docu finally had me invest in some more southern rock. It had been a while. The Texan boys should arrive here on Saturday
    Retired.

been missing getting into new albums. it's been 3 months now. decided to fine tune my budget for the coming months (fingers crossed) so I can get €20 of albums (= no shipping costs w/ Amazon) a month and try to get the most bang for my buck

so ...

ordered today :

* triple CD of T-Rex
    * double CD of The Who
    * CD of Slade

all comps. These are all bands I'm not familiar with (not even The Who apart from maybe two hits)

looking forward to discussing some of the songs with all two of you lel

originally I was looking for a good AC/DC comp but there isn't one out there, except maybe the Ironman II OST which is a comp in disguise. but it's import and thus expensive
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-10-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Retired.

Was never crazy about ACDC but I like the highway to hell album. I respect them

people still buy cds?????

i just download for free

The ABBOTT

I've heard the drummer for The Who, Keith moon is considered one of the all time greats.

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusev View Post
    people still buy cds?????

i just download for free
    I DL too, but I like buying comps for the liner notes and also for the joy of building my collection. I'm still really into physical media like books & cds

personally I tend to play cds more often than something I DLed too. don't really know why. it's not like my sound system is superior or anything

as an example, the liner notes to this cheap Slade comp are exemplary. full page bio, two paragraph liner notes per song on how the track came about, chart positions too. it appeals to the music nerd in me. I'm especially into how the song writing duo came up with their song ideas

btw that Slade comp is just amazing. I half figured it'd be a few good singles and a lot of cheesy material but I'm gladly proven wrong. 21 singles that all reached the UK top 30 (some US top 30 too). they had to leave off two more such singles because of the playing time of the cd.

the guitar work and the singing are exemplary. some good heavy tracks, next to a few good ballads and a few more pop oriented tracks. but mostly good rocking singles.

really an unexpected hit with me. playing this comp for the third time straight right now

Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I've heard the drummer for The Who, Keith moon is considered one of the all time greats.
    so I've heard as well. tbh I only know of him because of his reputation as 'Moon The Loon', the party animal. it'll be interesting to play The Who double cd later tonight. it's a lot of material, no less than 42 tracks

because the Slade comp is such a hit with me, I figured I'd treat myself for my upcoming b'day and order two more albums today. I had kind of forgotten yesterday that with Prime you get shipping for free at any price so today I realised I didn't have to go for €20 minimum. so with all of that, I managed to track down the last copy in store (or so they say at Amazon lol) of the best of Taste, Rory Gallagher's band. I heard Gallagher was one of the great blues/blues rock guitarists ever so I figured I'd check some of his work out. he died very young

the other compilation is by a band called Free, who like Slade are categorized as glam rock

^^second track reminds me of Hendrix

when Free disbanded their singer Paul Rodgers (great voice!) formed a super group with some other musicians called Bad Company. I really loved their songs so I'm hoping Free will do the trick too
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-11-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    Retired.

Digging T. Rex. Good use of electric guitar and inventive lyrics. Catchy singles too. Nice band to discover at this ripe age of mine. Too bad singer Marc Bolan died so early (car crash).
    Retired.

Buddy of mine brought up Rare Earth at a concert we attended on Saturday. Said DJs played their 'Get Ready' (20 minute jam version of the Temptations song) at the end of their set, in full, to announce the end of the party and 'to discourage people from dancing'. We're talking 1970 here (he's in his late sixties)

Had never heard of the band, purchased a comp, listening now. They were on Motown as the first white rock act (on off shoot label Rare Earth Records). It's pretty soulful rock, as early on in their career, they recorded a lot of rock covers of soul songs. Sold over 30 million records and drew a crowd live

Here's the single version of 'Get Ready'

Retired.

Didn't realize Ghostface's song was based on a Rare Earth track

Retired.

The ABBOTT

Celebrate screwed and chopped.

My venom black metal vinyl got scratched so i bought it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    My venom black metal vinyl got scratched so i bought it again...
    Do you have the band in heavy rotation atm?

Got some more comps : Steppenwolf double CD, Jeff Beck / Jeff Beck Group

Got Taste (Rory Gallagher's first group), another Free comp (3 disc set) and the Yardbirds (line up w/ Eric Clapton) coming in soon too
    Retired.