decided to make a thread separate from the Hiphop one

here was my post from this week

8 JJ Cale albums :

* 2CD set anthology

* box w/ 5 albums : Naturally - 8 - Troubadour - Shades - Grasshopper

* separate album : Really

a steal for less than $25 for 8 discs, good deal

for about $70 I've got these coming in for Xmas, for a total of 19 discs

Poison - Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Helloween - Traffic - Peter Frampton - Humble Pie - Nightwish (all comps, most are double disc sets)

Gary Moore : 5 album budget set

Thin Lizzy - 'Johnny The Fox'

ELO - 'Out Of The Blue'

JJ Cale - 'Five'

Steely Dan - 'The Very Best Of' (double disc) - shoutout to b-dolo

Electric Light Orchestra - 5 album budget box set

$20 for the lot

can't wait for my Xmas bonus to drop to do some more shopping lol. listening to the Humble Pie compilation right now that I received today. good ish!
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Good pick with double disc of hits. They have way too many hits for one disc.

^^can't wait for the set to arrive to dive into the songs (singles) I'm not familiar with

ordered in inordinate amount of Fleetwood Mac today on the strengff or my Xmas bonus. after new years I'm gonna slow down on the buying, monthly buys still but at a lower total price, and stash some pesos away for when my lower wage kicks in come September/October 2021. I need me some Iron Maiden, Venom, Cold Chisel in January or February (all suggestions I got from here). my Amazon shopping list has 600 albums by now, which turns out to be the maximum (over here) you put on your list of items to buy later

I went for Fleetwood Mac after hearing 'The Chain' used in 'Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol.2' on tv yesterday. such a great band. those movies have good soundtrack too

I've also got a lot of Uriah Heep, Styx and UFO albums coming my way for free next year when I meet up with my buddy who initiated me in rock and who has recently bought remasters so he can gift me the original albums. due to COVID and both his and my health we are not currently meeting up but we're staying in touch online a lot
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-14-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Retired.

enjoying that Steely Dan comp now

there's a Wu connection too

only a EUROCUCK would attempt a Doctor Wu / Wu-Tang mash up. please don't make it happen lol

apparently there's even a Steely Dan tribute band out there called Doctor Wu

^^so this would be their signature song, I take it. they sound pretty good as far tribute bands go
    Retired.

I can't be the only one still buying albums occasionally lol?

maybe everyone is doing the streaming thing these days?

anyway, on Satan's recommendation I bought some Alice Cooper albums. I found 2 super cheap budget boxes with 10 albums, for less than $3 a disc it was a real steal

Satan, all your suggestions are included like Killer and Welcome to my nightmare

but there's also

Pretties for you
    Easy action
    Love you to death
    School's out
    Billion dollar babies
    Muscle of love
    Alice Cooper goes to Hell
    The Alice Cooper show (a live album I guess)

I read worst to best ranked albums list for AC first and it seems like most of the good albums are included here? the two popular hair metal albums from the late eighties and the early nineties aren't in the package, nor are some of his latter day more heavy metal oriented efforts. I might still invest in Hey Stoopid later
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-23-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    I can't be the only one still buying albums occasionally lol?

maybe everyone is doing the streaming thing these days?

anyway, on Satan's recommendation I bought some Alice Cooper albums. I found 2 super cheap budget boxes with 10 albums, for less than $3 a disc it was a real steal

Satan, all your suggestions are included like Killer and Welcome to my nightmare

but there's also

Pretties for you
    Easy action
    Love you to death
    School's out
    Billion dollar babies
    Muscle of love
    Alice Cooper goes to Hell
    The Alice Cooper show (a live album I guess)

I read worst to best ranked albums list for AC first and it seems like most of the good albums are included here? the two popular hair albums from the late eighties and the early nineties aren't in the package, nor are some of his latter day more heavy metal oriented efforts. I might still invest in Hey Stoopid later
    Niice

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    JJ Cale - 'Five'

Steely Dan - 'The Very Best Of' (double disc) - shoutout to b-dolo

Electric Light Orchestra - 5 album budget box set

$20 for the lot

can't wait for my Xmas bonus to drop to do some more shopping lol. listening to the Humble Pie compilation right now that I received today. good ish!
    I had not realized so many Steely Dan songs had been sampled in hip-hop tracks by the likes of Kanye, DOOM and KNS (the guy who produced 'Deja Vu [Uptown])
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

I know of the Kayne song and LT&PG song(uptown). Which doom song samples Steely Dan?

^^also 'Black Cow', the vocal snippet of 'You were very high' and I think also some instrumental portion later on in the song - so not the famous bass line ('Uptown')

btw today I bought comps of 10CC, Ram Jam (the guys who sang 'Black Betty') and Chris Rhea. I also copped that famous eighties 'A very special Christmas' comp w/ the red Keith Haring picture on the front. it has A LOT of really famous eighties artists on it, including Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Madonna etc. they're all heavy hitters. I copped it for one track though, Stevie Nicks' version of 'Silent Night' - I just love her voice. This is also the album that has 'Christmas in Hollis' by Run DMC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very...istmas_(album)

I said 'famous' but tbh I myself had never heard of it. looks like this was put together for the Special Olympics?

I was gonna buy some Billy Joel too, but I'm trying to hold off on buying some releases till January comes round lol. got some Australian CDs waiting in line too
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Hal, your buying some major amounts of music. Big ups to you, I only tend to buy about 1 to 2 CD's monthly. When do you tend to listen to your music? What activities in such, like: driving,working, getting blazed,etc.

I listen to music in the morning, over and after breakfast and then again during the other meals. I also listen while I'm on the computer. sometimes late in the evening I'll listen to a new purchase twice in a row, just sitting in the sofa.

what also happens a lot is I play music while I'm going through and working on my collection : labelling and categorizing CDs, moving them to other boxes, shelves etc. Two days ago I spent a good twent minutes looking for six CDs I had mislaid, music blaring through the speakers I went from room to room. I have albums in every room except the kitchen and the bathroom lol

I'm curious to find out how well I'll be able to cut back on buying some music in 2021. I've set myself a monthly limit now. since this was the plan for the new year ever since October I bought extra amounts over the last three months to get in as much as I could in 2020
    Retired.

Cream, UB40 and The Ramones comps (all are double albums)
    Retired.

INXS comp

Accept - 'Restless and wild' (German hard rock band)

Roxy Music - 5 album budget box
    Retired.