Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Colonization of the Moon

The ABBOTT

Default Colonization of the Moon

Why all of sudden so some much interest in the Moon? Maybe they know something we don't? I'm a little shook.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Explorat...st_into_oxygen

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ng-on-tuesday/

{>____<}

This is silly. Mars should be our focus.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    This is silly. Mars should be our focus.
    I think they are working on that also.
    Here is an interesting article
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-b1765034.html

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I think they are working on that also.
    Here is an interesting article
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-b1765034.html
    I think this is all cap. There's no feasible reason for humans to 'colonize' the moon or mars. If they find a resource on either, or the asteroid belt then they'll probably just have robots extract it but living on either will never surpass novelty because they're both worst case scenario versions of earth. There's nothing that can happen to the earth that will make it as shit as mars, so when I see people that can barely live in Nevada start talking about living on Mars I don't take it seriously. Futurism (trying to 'reach the future just cause you think it's 'the future') is goofy. Things naturally progress to where it makes sense and in order for something like that to happen it has to make sense, which it doesn't.

Ironman, I think the Moon is part of a long term plan to colonize Mars. NASA is planning to send a man and a woman to the moon in 2024, and get to Mars in the 2030s.

TSA that's a luddite attitude. Space travel has already brought about tons of innovations to us earth dwellers, and the potential for discovery (and *sigh* profit) is huge. It feels like the inevitable future of mankind is to leave the earth, at least some of us.

Yeah it would suck to live on Mars right now. It also sucks to have no imagination or foresight.

{>____<}

If there's a plan to teraform Mars, I'd like to hear/read about it. I would imagine that'll take decades if not centuries of human involvement. Also, the human Mars mission has been pushed back so many times due to lack of funds, studies, and sufficient transportation.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

in order the reach mars, the moons function is paramount, there have been talks of a space elevator to the moon where resources and shuttles would be maintained and kept, that could cut costs of rocket fuel etc.

there is also a theory of slingshoting crafts through the alcubieere drive to their destination, the drive would orbit the moon and function like a wormhole of sorts, bending the space time distance and folding it in half. doing that from the moon makes it more feasible in terms of laws of physcis. Basically for the future of space travel, the moon is very important

^ I always thought the moon would be easier to adapt as it's in our habitable zone. You wouldn't need to or want to adapt the whole thing, but you could have domes with hotels, gardens, launchpads etc.

https://www.iop.org/explore-physics/...-the-moon#gref

personally I'm very much a space enthusiast although I will readily admit the space race was first and foremost an ego thing during the cold war and a massively expensive PR stunt on behalf of both blocks. you can still see the PR function in how various other nations have now entered the space race
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    https://www.iop.org/explore-physics/...-the-moon#gref

personally I'm very much a space enthusiast although I will readily admit the space race was first and foremost an ego thing during the cold war and a massively expensive PR stunt on behalf of both blocks. you can still see the PR function in how various other nations have now entered the space race
    As the article you posted states, the main priority would be to set up telescopes that could look deeper into space. I could see that as the next step taken before people inhabit the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    ^ I always thought the moon would be easier to adapt as it's in our habitable zone. You wouldn't need to or want to adapt the whole thing, but you could have domes with hotels, gardens, launchpads etc.
    Absolutely agree.
    I think whats holding experts back from going full force with the moon is the fact that is actually drifting away from earth daily, there is also the issue of the fact that most of the craters on the moon are from asteroids since it has no protective layer to quell the drastic force like we do. i'm not sure about this yet but there is also that issue of artificial gravity which is technology we do not have yet.

If you ask me though, i Think our greatest undertaking would be a dyson sphere. I think we should go that route, i also think if he actually started something of that magnitude and level, we would get contacted by our galactic neighborhood

^^props, you made me look up 'Dyson sphere'. it's not a good day if I haven't learned something new

I see Wikipedia says Olaf Stapledon first came up with this concept in his fiction. I like his novels but I have not yet read 'Star Maker', in which he introduces this concept. I should re-read 'Sirius' and 'Odd John', two novels of his I have at home. they're OG scifi, he's like one of the genre's forefathers
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-09-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Retired.

No prob bro.

astronomy/astro physics is my life , I’ve gone down down the ultimate rabbit hole when it comes to this topic. Great thread

The ABBOTT

Another interesting read on the existence of life beyond earth.

https://thedebrief.org/a-major-break...igins-of-life/

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    Absolutely agree.
    I think whats holding experts back from going full force with the moon is the fact that is actually drifting away from earth daily, there is also the issue of the fact that most of the craters on the moon are from asteroids since it has no protective layer to quell the drastic force like we do. i'm not sure about this yet but there is also that issue of artificial gravity which is technology we do not have yet.

If you ask me though, i Think our greatest undertaking would be a dyson sphere. I think we should go that route, i also think if he actually started something of that magnitude and level, we would get contacted by our galactic neighborhood
    Google says that the moon is moving a few inches away per year. It's still gonna be there for thousands or millions of years (I'm not doing the math), just a bit further away. Most of the craters are from way way back when the solar system was more chaotic. I mean there would still be a bunch of potential disasters around every corner, but I think it's possible. I think it would be the easiest place to start.

The idea of humans building something that looks like the death star gives me the creeps.