Thread: Man this Shaw Brothers movies are actually reallying fucking good

Default Man these Shaw Brothers movies are actually reallying fucking good

I always like watching movies from cultures with minimal globalization so you get an authentic feel for their tastes and austism. All of these movies that wutang was samples are really fucking good.

The soundscape is really unique and it's clear why Rza would have chosen to same them. Their entertaining on their own. I heard it was 2 australian guys just making racist as with chalk board erasers or something like that but idk if that's true. Anyways, good shit. I like how 'the manchus' are always the issue because fuck the manchus honestly. IF you're into chinese history they're a great watch and it adds a different perspective to shit. Someone told me that Chinese ppl see themselves as the underdog which I thought was funny cause there's fucking 1 billion of them but you watch these movies and realize this is the first time they've run their own country in like 700 years. That's nuts. Then everything else makes sense. And literally only 2 of them can hoop.

They're no netflix now, just finished 36 chambers (which literally has no ending btw lol)
    Last edited by TSA; 12-15-2020 at 12:31 AM.

^^need to watch me some more Shaw Bros. I hope they're on Netflix down here too (don't know if they show the same content everywhere)

EDIT : damn, I checked, no they're not down here. I appreciate how Netflix takes the piss : when I search for 'shaolin' and 'wu' they show all the titles of the movies. I get all excited, press on any of them and it just goes 'movies like...' and I get a bunch of crappy (?) modern day kung fuey flicks. lmao so they know what's out there and what I want to see but they don't have it. well played, Netflix Europe, well played
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-07-2020 at 03:13 AM.
    Retired.

Netflix did have a bunch of them, but evidently their licenses run out at different dates in each country.

I have a lot of these on DVD anyway. I think The Flying Guillotine is still on there, which is super violent and funny.

Btw all these 'chinese' films are actually from Hong Kong, which is currently getting silenced and turned into another police state by the CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Netflix did have a bunch of them, but evidently their licenses run out at different dates in each country.

I have a lot of these on DVD anyway. I think The Flying Guillotine is still on there, which is super violent and funny.

Btw all these 'chinese' films are actually from Hong Kong, which is currently getting silenced and turned into another police state by the CCP.
    yeah and i think thats actually what these movies are about. The manchus, i think, are the communist party. They're very specific on what it takes to beat 'the ming/manchus' and i think thats a safe way to say 'the government'. But some have anti capitalist, anti feudal themes that implies theyre on the comm party's side, but theyre too nationalistic and religious for me to believe that.

^ Some films probably are covertly aimed at Communists, it's also that China was their prime market so they made films about chinese folk stories and chinese history.

Either way, mainland china's politics and culture is not a fertile ground for free expression and creativity. These people have started pushing pro china content in western movies in recent years, now that they're funding a lot of them.

Are you thinking of a few movies in particular?
    Retired.

the ones from the 80s, 36 chamnbers etc. Anyone that talks about manchus (which is a lot of them). A lot of these movies would have been made 10 years after the cultural revolution, which is why I don't think the Ming/Manchu villians are actually referring to manchus. Someone that's into their culture enough to make these movies would have likely had an issue with the communist party and the cultural revolution and likely saw this as a means of preserving what was being destroyed. That's also emphasized by the amount of them that are about the manchus hunting down someone that knows ancient kung fu or how to use ancient weapons etc.

What's interesting the plot is always an overlording group hunting rebels, then that person going to shaolin/a teacher to learn kung fu to defeat said overlording group. If you look at it abstract it's basically saying go back to the past to learn how to beat the enemy of the present, and a lot about how discipline can help you win against overwhelming odds.There's also the fact that none of the movies take place in hong kong (maybe newer overs after 1986 idk) but all the 36 chambers, guillotine, etc ones have the same themes. Way to consistent to not be deliberate. Secret Weapons of China (not sure if that's the accurate name)

While I think it's about the communist party it could also be genuine expressions of the general national mentality and actually be about the ming dynasty or even western imperialism (anti-western themes are there too, especially in The Young Vagabond). As much as the communist party is shit, it's not really shit to the Chinese mind because the value cohesion and a lack of conflict to individual expression.

Banned

I’m watching Clan of the White Lotus aka Fists of the White Lotus right now on El Rey Network. They show Shaw brothers movies every Sunday, but the next work will cease to exist as of January 1.

This is one of the shaw brothers movies with Pai Mei in it who was also a character in Kill Bill.

next week, El Rey is showing The Master, Valley of the Fangs, Clan of Amazons, The Rebel Intruders, Legendary Weapons of China, Ten Tigers of Kwang Tang and Martial Arts of Shaolin.

The SB films with Chen Kuan Tai are my favourite.

The Flying Guillotine

Killer Constable

Hell, even Crippled Avengers.

CKT is the fkn man

Films used for the montage:

Iron Bodyguard
    Boxer From Shantung
    Heroes Two
    Executioners From Shaolin
    Man Of Iron
    Killer Constable
    "I know that after my death a pile of rubbish
    will be heaped on my grave, but the wind of
    History will sooner or later sweep it away
    without mercy."
    - Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili

he looks like a nigerian rapper, I can't unsee it
    Last edited by TSA; 12-15-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Banned

I think The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is the best movie/story but Five Deadly Venoms is by far my favourite that's such a great movie the fights are so well done

Master of the Flying Guillotine is amazing too, the concept of the one armed boxer vs the blind assassin that chucks around a guillotine shaped like a hat is hilarious but it's such a great film

King Boxer is another great film

And yeah definitely watch 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, I love the epic shadow fighting some of these films have to open things up

It's confusing trying to keep up with the names of the films. There's the literal translations, the translations then the north american release titles.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I like how 5 deadly venoms gets straight to the point.