Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the fall offs

Default Legend of the fall offs

Who are the biggest lyrical fall offs in history?

State your case.

I call to the stand Ricardo Brown aka Kurupt Young Gotti.
    Retired.

^ Yeah he's pretty bad these days.

Maybe Ice Cube, whenever you ever hear a new song from him it's like an actor reprising an old role, and he's forgot how to do it right.

The ABBOTT

I second that motion

The ABBOTT

I am going put Common into the conversation. I been listening to his new tracks. He is just trying too hard to fit some type of image. Trying to be respected by people outside of hip-hop.

Banned

I'm going to say that Kurupt ain't it purely because he was never that good to begin with.

I would say that 90% of rappers fall off after about 5-10 years once they get in to their 30s, get money and security they have nothing interesting left to rap about, not that most of them were that interesting anyway
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

The ABBOTT

Kurupt fuckin absolutely spit flames at times during his career. So were going have to disagree about that.

I will agree about the majority of rappers declining over the years. But the music industry for rap music has dramatically changed also. The way albums were constructed in the past, now seem to be less revelant. More about trying to appease current trends.

Banned

Kurupt was never lyrically anything special.

Most of these dudes fell way off 20 years ago before rap changed. Ice Cube was putting out stinkers in the 90s.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Snoop Dogg already ran out of things to say on his second solo album. He gets by on delivery and production.

I agree on Common. Cube too.

RIP Prodigy but he was in a slump for a few years too. He got back on track though with some of his late career projects. I enjoy his whole catalog but some of his midcareer rapping is just lazy. It stood out even more since Havoc was getting better around the same time imo.

Lil Wayne fell the fuck off too. His midcareer mixtape game was crazy, I have so many of his tapes that are absolutely banging, The Carter 3 was high level too, but by The Carter 4 (apart from a few singles on it) his rapping went from mediocre to bad. His verse on French Montana's Pop That, compared to everyone else on there - with someone like French himself barely competent - was sooooo awful.
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

D.M.X., Fifty Cent, Cam'ron, JA Rule, Canibus, Noreaga, Cappadonna. These were people that were all hot twenty years ago this time.

krs one.

Wu tang clan (The W) the most epic falloff in history ever.

Banned

I haven't heard a Snoop Dogg song since Drop It Like It's Hot lol he does these shitty commercials for the local competitor to uber eats featuring footballers and it's fucking cringe

Cappadonna was always garbage and I'd argue Noreaga was never that special either

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I don't rate Noreaga too highly as an MC, so I've not really noticed any fall off.

I would definitely agree about Kurupt... god damn what the hell happened. He was spitting fire on The Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food, and even his first one or two solo albums. His verse on Puffin' Blunts & Drankin' Tanqueray is top tier status imo.

I agree about Prodigy too... maybe not necessarily a fall off, but dude completely changed his style up after HNIC to the point where a lot of the stuff he did after he got out of prison his verses were hardly even rhyming. One exception to this is his verse on Gangrene's Dump Truck... he absolutely bodied that track!!

I might get some hate in here for dropping this name... but I'm going to say it... Warcloud/Holocaust. It wouldn't be so bad if we had managed to get an album from Holocaust back in '98/99... then the fall off wouldn't have been so hard to take. But as it is, we only really have a handful of amazing guest features and snippets of the true Holocaust shit. I don't get what some people hear in any of Warcloud's stuff post 2000, he just sounds like an incoherent madman rambling over a beat, not even on beat most of the time.

I'd also mention Cappa too, but he can still spit when he got the right beats. The main issue is production with Cappa, he seems insistent on using $1 beats from no-name producers and then calling the album Pillage Pt. 2 or some shit like that. WTF, surely you've got 4th Disciple's number, surely RZA could throw you a couple of joints, True Master, Ringz, etc.

Peace!

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    ^ Yeah he's pretty bad these days.

Maybe Ice Cube, whenever you ever hear a new song from him it's like an actor reprising an old role, and he's forgot how to do it right.
    damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

gonna say eminem, he sounds like a cross betwen the grinch and grumpy old man

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    D.M.X., Fifty Cent, Cam'ron, JA Rule, Canibus, Noreaga, Cappadonna. These were people that were all hot twenty years ago this time.
    Canibus is still a beast, gtfoh wit that nonsense go listen to c of tranquility, or the album with bronze nazareth