Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2020 Thread!

Default Christmas 2020 Thread!

I don't know, post some Christmas shit.

What are you doing for Xmas? What gifts did you buy? How much did you spend? Favorite Xmas activities? Favorite Xmas movies & songs?

Hope everybody has a good one after this horseshit year.

That's the spirit.

I'm going home for Xmas, which is all of 3 blocks away lol. I always take my dog with me. I am currently single, not looking. I used to sometimes take a GF with me for Xmas to my relatives if things had gotten serious.

My sister on the other hand is currently visiting with her in-laws in Belgrade, Serbia. They celebrateXmas later there (it's the orthodox calendar) but today is het mother-in-law's birthday and then there's New Years obviously.

For New Years I used to go out to clubs, then later spent it with either of 2 friends and their partner. They separated though. Tbh I never had much fun when clubbing on New Years, I always thought the atmosphere was bit forced.

As for present I always receive practical stuff for some reason. We don't go in for large amounts. My dad collects optical equipment (wartime binoculars etc) for a hobby so he wants and gets ca$h for his next purchase. My mom always gets lots of (small) presents because December 31st is also her birthday. This year I went for one larger present and bought her one of those heaters for outside. My dad already knows so he's planning the festivities outside. The idea is that bring the heater with me. With the whole COVID thing I figure they can entertain friends outside who come over during winter.

I also have 2 friends who both have their anniversary on December 22. Normally I visit with them. Occasionally they throw a party together, like 3 years ago. Becasue of Covid I will not be visiting this year, especially since one of them is at risk due to poor health.

Btw we celebrate Xmas on the 24th, 25th and 26th. That is not a national habit, that's just how our family does it. So it's a series of meals and cocktails etc. Because I live so nearby I don't stay over.

People around here bring out the Xmas decoration after the Saint Nicholas holiday for cildren (December 6). This particular NickiGooch is all kids' buddy because he brings them presents. Kids put a shoe near the hearth with some sugar cubes and a carrot for his horse, who is called Nice Weather Today. Nicki also has helpers who are black (because they come in through the chimney to deliver the gifts) and wear colorful clothes. Around December 1st there's always a live show on tv for the kids where Nicki's boat docks in the port of Antwerp. Ol' Nick gives a speech. His helpers dance and throw around candy. I got my nephew (only kid in the family) some toys for St Nick's. I did not get to see them open his gifts this year because my sis lives directly across from my moms. When he woke up on December 6 he was all excited and wanted to cross the street first thing after he had opened the presents that NickiGooch had left at his own place. LOL my sister had him ring my parents' doorbell at eight in the morning, waking them up. They decided not to call me over because I ALWAYS sleep in when I'm not working. I need that because I wake up several times each night, I'm not a good sleeper. Right now I'm postkng this at 5 am after waking up fir the second time tonight lol. No way I'll go over somewhere in the morning except for school - so not even for ly nephew and NickiGooch's visit. I stay in till at least 11, which is when I walk the dog mostly.

Generally I like the Xmas atmosphere. The Nicki legend is based upon a szint who lived in Turkey and protected children. New Years is alright I guess if you celebrate it with people you know well. Going out for New Years is mostly a let down. But it's cosy with friends or relatives.

Sorry for the novel lol. I'm going back to sleep.
    Retired.

Banned

I can't wait, I'm working saturday, sunday, monday. Saturday is boxing day so that's triple time, sunday is sunday so that's double time and monday is the official public holiday for boxing day because it falls on a weekend so that's triple time again and all 3 days will be 10 hour shifts, magic.

I am spewing that NYD is on a friday so I have to wait until next year to really clean up which should be 3 days in a row of triple time + NYD on a saturday and the public holiday on the monday.

I'm going to my cousins for a bbq on christmas day which will be good but other than that nothing special this year.

Also for the nature of my job we supply supermarkets across NSW and the panic buying has started agaib, lots of 12 hour shifts coming up which is ridiculous money for a job where the only qualification needed is attendance so my christmas/new year period will be work.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

That was an insight Hal.

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. Right after making the thread I saw the UK news, there's a new fast spreading covid mutation, so restrictions - my sister can't leave London and I'm not sure if I can meet my friends on new years eve.

I have a shit ton of beer so I figure I'll just drink and watch 'it's a wonderful life' and other xmas shit until the new year.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Generally I like the Xmas atmosphere. The Nicki legend is based upon a szint who lived in Turkey and protected children. New Years is alright I guess if you celebrate it with people you know well. Going out for New Years is mostly a let down. But it's cosy with friends or relatives.

Sorry for the novel lol. I'm going back to sleep.
    I like Christmas feeling, too. People tend to be better around the holiday season. I always enjoy it while it last because the holiday season comes and goes so fast.

I might grill on Christmas even. We'll see. I always watch Catch Me If You Can every Christmas Eve (tradition) and my goal is too watch a bunch of movies.

My shopping is almost complete. I am not spending a ton of money, though.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Banned

I’m having about 9 people over on Christmas Eve, her family and mine, making some sauce with ravioli, neckbones and meatballs.

Well open some gifts, eat.

^ Ravioli? Is that the traditional US Xmas dinner?

I got my dad one of those Dan Aykroyd Vodka skulls for Xmas. He doesn't drink vodka often but it just seems like a cool gift to get.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    ^ Ravioli? Is that the traditional US Xmas dinner?

I got my dad one of those Dan Aykroyd Vodka skulls for Xmas. He doesn't drink vodka often but it just seems like a cool gift to get.
    There is no traditional christmas dinner in the US. Italian traditionally would have a seven fish dinner but that’s becoming less popular. My great grandparents and grandparents were the last to do it.

If we were all getting together in a non covid world, we’d probably have wedding soup, lasagna, chicken cutlets, Alfredo, eggplant parmigiana. It’s depends.

But this is a smaller gathering so we scaled it down.

The Hound, did you ever get to celebrate Christmas in winter, abroad?
    Retired.

Banned

Nah I haven’t done an overseas winter Christmas before and to be honest I think our Christmas is the best because it’s summer time so the holiday feeling is amplified. The weather is usually is good - this year it sucks but it’s covid so it doesn’t matter - which means more outdoor events like parties and bbqs which are the best get together plus in the lead up go Christmas there’s lots of going to the pubs and beach which is great.

We used to go to my Pop’s for Boxing Day and it was the best with the cricket on in the background sinking beers all day chilling in the pool having a bbq lunch. My cousin is doing a pork on the spit and some smoked beef it’ll be great. I’ll provably eat 2kg of prawns that day too
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

added to bucketlist : summertime Christmas abroad.
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    There is no traditional christmas dinner in the US. Italian traditionally would have a seven fish dinner but that’s becoming less popular. My great grandparents and grandparents were the last to do it.
    Gooch, you spread more fake news than foxnews and cnn combined. On December 10, 2008, you asked me what the 7 fishes dinner was. i had to explain to you how to be a real Eye-talian

https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...=1#post1412027