Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2020 Thread!

up till about ten years ago or so people still ate horse meat down here. it's definitely on the outs now. it was never a Christmas dish just tbc.

When I was a kid we often had rabbit for my dad's birthday and sometimes for Christmas. It's my dad's favorite meat. The tradition got sort of lost when I turned vegetarian for about five years. I've been eating meat again since about six years.

Lamb meat is heavenly. It's easy to get down here and not particularly expensive. I don't recall ever having eaten goat.

I have no idea what's on the menu tonight. The new tradition in the family is that it's supposed to be a surprise.

Everybody enjoy your Christmas holiday.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    Goat is alright my mate's dad makes a nice goat curry.

Turks (and Greeks to be fair, sorry Han) do a great lamb spit. I used to go to a cool Turkish place with my ex all the time, since she is vegetarian we'd share this 5 dips and bread and the dips were so good, I used to smash lamb shawarma.

Lamb is the best meat imo it's very popular out here but it's pretty expensive too but it's well worth it when you have family or friends over. Lamb cutlets are fantastic for a bbq but they're the biggest rip off at almost $50 a kilo
    Lambs difficult to get right as lamb from certain countries just seems off to me, smells funky. A good lamb roast is quality though. Good cuts are surprisingly expensive, you could always go for the less popular stuff. In Turkey and in Greece they eat all parts of the lamb so it's cheaper. Lamb intestine is quite popular, something I don't like but it's the few things Turks and Greeks agree on. I mean there's also intestine and stomach soup which when they prepare it if you walk by the shop oh my god it stinks. They clean it out before cooking and during that process it's an unbearable smell. The people love it though, well some do.

Banned

I’ve had the lamb chops with the mint jelly, it’s very good.

We have a Turkish joint over here I enjoy the food kind reminds me of Lebanese. Good amount of Lebanese around here.

The ABBOTT

Horse meat? That can't be good. Bison meat is actually good . Had gator meat too, i would steer clear of it again though.

I ate gator meat once in a specialty restaurant (they had exotic meat only on the menu). tasted very nice, they put some lemon and sauce on it. I had some stomach problems afterwards though

IDK where this tradition of horse meat comes from down here. I just researched some, but to no avail. all I came up with is that is/was specialty meat in Belgium and France only

I forgot to mention that till deep in the 20th century all kinds of singing birds were on the menu too, finches being a prime example

today we had duck for Christmas dinner. niiiice
    Retired.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    Horse meat? That can't be good. Bison meat is actually good . Had gator meat too, i would steer clear of it again though.
    Yes. Bison is good and lean. Expensive and hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post

My mom-in-law is cooking dinner. I brought a bunch of food so I'm waiting for tomorrow's big dinner.

In terms of gifts, I did my part. The Best Buy's that I've been to later have all been cleaned out. For most people, I gave cards with gift cards in them.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I always wanted me some lamb meat, But in my area of the U.S its hard to find, and if you do find its expensive. But you can beef or poultry for cheap, so it isn't all bad. I have never seen goat meat ever. What nationally are eating goats?
    Goat is popular in jamaica.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    I ate gator meat once in a specialty restaurant (they had exotic meat only on the menu). tasted very nice, they put some lemon and sauce on it. I had some stomach problems afterwards though

IDK where this tradition of horse meat comes from down here. I just researched some, but to no avail. all I came up with is that is/was specialty meat in Belgium and France only

I forgot to mention that till deep in the 20th century all kinds of singing birds were on the menu too, finches being a prime example

I got duck when I was in the Netherlands. It was good. Only time I’ve ever eaten it.

Goat is the primary meat in Nigeria (except the north where it's cow but that's never what anyone means when they say 'nigeria').
    It's the perfect meat but lamb is definitely it's neck and neck with it. My mom and wife are throwing down and we'll have some ppl over the following day due to everyone's schedule. I'm about to smash. I have a project to finish so I might spend the actual 25th doing that.

But yeah, goat is phenomenal. You have to let it sit in the water/juice it's cooked with over night (or for a week while you work on a big ass pot). It's a tough mean otherwise, but if you let it sit over night it's like fucking butter. The fact that it's tough allows it to keep it's consistency while still turning to mush. Can't try it with cow because it might completely melt.

about to have shrimp jollof, asun (spicy goat meat tomato thing), and I might make mashed tatters as the nebraskee of the bunch (the trick is dumping half a tub of sour cream in there).

The ABBOTT

Is mutton the same as goat? I can remember awhile ago eating a dish with mutton chops that was good.

I can also recall having capon during the holidays. This was some years ago also. Which is a neutered rooster chicken. I think that this is has gone away. I have tried to purchase this locally and haven't had any luck.
    Last edited by b-dolo; 12-25-2020 at 03:29 AM.

I think mutton can be meat from an adult sheep or goat, so both

I just checked online and there is also chevon (never heard this before), which is specifically for goat meat

yall are making me hungry again lol
    Retired.

I'd like to try some of that asun that TSA mentioned. love me some tomatoes and a spicier recipe. they don't go in so much for the spicy stuff here sadly.
    Retired.

I don't eat mammals. The way we get meat or kill is usually (always?) morally dubious, and horrible for the environment. I rarely eat animals, but sometimes fish and the occasional bird gets eaten this time of year.

Sashimi and cheese are things I would miss if I ever went full vegan. There's no reason why some stuff can't be farmed responsibly, but most isn't so I just eat less.

I hate to be that guy, but I also don't care. It's a gross industry and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. If you personally humanely hunted wild animals it would be cool, but usually otherwise it's cruel.

Banned

Duck is nice but it’s very fatty you have to remove fat and generally pierce the skin but not the meat, I usually do it like a diamond. I’ve done a duck rotisserie twice and probably wouldn’t do it again tbh

A few years ago, maybe 8-10 years, my dad cooked a goose for Christmas lunch that was awesome I’d rather go to the effort for that.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

We're about to eat turkey. The giant thing is gonna last weeks for sandwiches.