Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +++ Post the books you bought

Thumbs up +++ Post the books you bought

11 new books for less than $20 , but they'll only arrive late in January, possibly February

all of them are Wordsworth Classics editions, which are very cheap ($6 or $7 mostly), esp. if you go for the ones with the lowest prices ($3) like I did here

F Scott Fitzgerald - The diamond as big as the Ritz & other stories

Edith Wharton - The age of innocence (cf. the movie)

Pierre Choderlos De Laclos - Dangerous liaisons (cf. the movie)

Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell - Mary Barton

Thomas Hardy - Desperate remedies

Robert Tressell - The ragged trousered philanthropists

E F Benson - The complete Mapp & Lucia (volumes 1 & 2)

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Devils

Omar Khayyám - The Rubályát of Omar Khayyám (poetry)

Katherine Mansfield - The collected short stories

for now I only have a delivery date for these last two. I've got enough to read anyway
    Retired.

Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth
    Retired.

https://b-ok.cc/

I got a kindle a year ago so I've mainly found books online.

I recently read the Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, which is a fascinating book about how societies suddenly change based on accumulating factors.

I want to read the classics, so I tried to force myself to read A Tale Of Two Cities but it was tough, I'm gonna try again soon.

The Tipping Point sounds interesting

Kindle is a good deal but I buy my books so cheap (often $2) that the money saving aspect of Kindle is relative in my case. also I just like being surrounded by heaps of books, comfy

I bought a whole lot more books but I'll post a list when they arrive

I find Charles Dickens hard going sometimes depending on the book. Sometimes it really shows that it was serialised first before it became an actual novel (Pickwick Papers) and sometimes the moral can be overbearing (Hard Times). A Tale of Two Cities is one of two Dickens novels I never read even an excerpt of, the other one being Curiosity Shop. I saw a mini series based on it that was decent
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Post office by Charles Bukowski. The We Dinosauria poem featured on MF Doom born like this what got me introduced to his work. Since Doom passed I feel like I should invest more time in his work, since obviously he was a fan also.

Post office is a MONSTER

back when I was teaching English I had the 17 year olds read it and they had to make a box with self made items that to them represented parts of the book. they really liked doing that. they enjoyed the book too. my colleagues were not very enthusiastic about me having them read the book hahaha.

I never noticed that about DOOM. I'll break out the album this afternoon and read the poem first. I'm not familiar w/ his poetry. Thanks for mentioning!!
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Have you read any other of Bukowski work? If this is a good read I will probably pick up another title.

3 or 4 more, years back, but Post Office and Factotum were the clear winners. I remember his short stories being good, I'd check those out. In fact I might have to cop a collection too. There was a lot of Bukowski stuff in the local library, so I never had to buy anything

there's also the Barfly movie based on Bukowski's script. He's got a small part in the movie too. You can buy the script itself too, it was published in book form before the movie was released. later on he wrote down his experiences involving Barfly the movie in his book Hollywood

Factotum was also turned into a movie in 2005 starring Matt Dillon
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Post office was great. I am going to buy Factotum this week online.

That's good to hear, glad you enjoyed it
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

A Rage Up in Harlem by Chester Himes. I plan on reading through entire Harlem Detective series by Himes.

The ABBOTT

The gay mans guide to getting fucked in the ass

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by project trillogic View Post
    The gay mans guide to getting fucked in the ass
    Did that work out for you?

lol
    Retired.