Thread: Jean Ray - Fantastical/horror novels and stories in English now for the US market

Default Jean Ray - Fantastical/horror novels and stories in English now for the US market

I'm heavily involved in the promotion of this deceased Belgian author's work.

If you love weird stories, fantastical stories, ghist stories and horror stories this author is for you.

Some of his most famous books and novels are now finally available in new English translations for the US market (can also be ordered from the UK) :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jean+ray&...f=nb_sb_noss_1

His most famous novel is "Malpertuis", which is the name of the haunted house in the novel. (There's also a 1971 movie based on it starring Orson Welles btw.)

I am currently promoting the new translation in Dutch of that very novel. It was originally written in French
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Sounds like something I would like. Besides Malpertius, what would be considered essential reading?

Whiskey Tales is an essential collection of short stories and a good starting point. The collection kickstarted his career in fiction (he was also a reporter)

Interesting life btw, early on he was convicted of currency exchange fraud (a huge sum of money at the time), money he used for a lavish lifestyle and to keep a magazine of his afloat

he was jailed and wrote stories etc from jail under a pseudonym. by that time he was already married, with a daughter. they became impoverished and gad to move to barracks on the edge of town

the conviction was the start of his many many pseudonyms. he often published without a name too

when he got out of jail he continued writing at a great pace and also built myths explaining his absence. supposedly he was a liquor smuggler on the rum row, a captain, a lion tamer - you get the drift
    Retired.