Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *** What are you reading at the moment?

Short stories by Kate Chopin from the 1890s. The stories are set near and sometimes in New Orleans. The stories themselves are okay but not spectacular, I enjoy the setting, the mixture of French and English too.
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Just finished reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I would recommend it, entertaining dark humor. Any ever read this?

I have read several of his novels but not that one. I see I have at it home along with about 5 of his other novels, 2 of whom I read. I should get back to doing some reading lol. In fact I might start with 'Breakfast of Champions' and let you know whether I liked it. I always prefer reading if I can discuss what I'm reading with someone IRL or online
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

The Lost by Jonathan Aycliffe

The ABBOTT

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.

The ABBOTT

Cormac Mccarthy recently released his first novels in over 15 years. I'm hoping to getting them read over Christmas break.

^^ good author

R.A. Lafferty, humorous SF
    Retired.

So how was Cormac Mccarthy, b-dolo?

I'm mostly reading Dutch SF now. Books to review & short stories to enjoy. My next read is a book by 7 Dutch authors. They all wrote a lengthy short story that can be read separately but is placed in the universe of a book they are each working on. It's a cool concept and they've been getting good press. I'm supposed to review it for a magazine.
    Retired.

O. Henry's short stories and E.R. Burrough's John Carter/Mars series. And I'm reading Edgar Wallace detective novels and short stories.

O. Henry is okay, has a way with words but when you read a lot of his stories some get repetitive.

The John Carter series has not aged all that well. It is very basic science fiction with not much in the way of nuce wording. I read a couple chapters in bed every few nights.

Edgar Wallace is pretty good. Nice narrative drive. He dictated full novels in 3 days lol. In the early 30s he doctored scripts in Hollywood btw. He was working on 'King Kong' when he died suddenly of undiagnosed diabetes.

I've got some Stephen Crane and other stuff (all short story collections) coming in at bottom prices.

On Friday I'm going to the grand opening night for a new literary magazine ('In Tenebris') about the fantastic genre that a few of my friends are involved with on both the publishing and the writing side. A turn out of 50 to 100 people would be nice. The magazine will be printed in 250 copies only. It is presented as a book, kind of like an anthology, and will be published every six months.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    So how was Cormac Mccarthy, b-dolo?

I'm mostly reading Dutch SF now. Books to review & short stories to enjoy. My next read is a book by 7 Dutch authors. They all wrote a lengthy short story that can be read separately but is placed in the universe of a book they are each working on. It's a cool concept and they've been getting good press. I'm supposed to review it for a magazine.
    I got that review published in an official print magazine.
    Retired.

'Outwitting the devil' by Napoleon Hill. He was a self help guru from the first half of the 20th century. In this book he 'interviews' the devil to show people how inner boundaries like fear hold you back