Thread: Mortal Kombat Movie (first look)

Default Mortal Kombat Movie (first look)

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mortal-kombat-film-reboot-first-look-images/?fbclid=IwAR0EjAU7eoQPsMCiCtA_sq6h9wLvC5rVf_MLqk5M gIdtXaoC1zp1aP_a2fI

Following a tease yesterday from actor Lewis Tan, Warner Bros. Pictures has released the first images from the live-action Mortal Kombat film reboot! While the images themselves are pretty exciting, they still leave a lot of mystery of what's to come, so fans worried about spoilers can check them out without worry. For longtime fans of the franchise, this should be pretty exciting! Prior to the release of these images, Tan's role in the film had remained undisclosed, but ComicBook can now confirm that the actor will play Cole Young in the film.

First images from Warner Bros. Pictures can be found below

With a few months left until the film's release, very few details have been revealed about Mortal Kombat. Directed by Simon McQuoid and produced by James Wan and Todd Garner, the film will star Ludi Lin (Liu Kang), Jessica McNamee (Sonya Blade), Joe Taslim (Sub-Zero), Hiroyuki Sanada (Scorpion), Mehcad Brooks (Jax), Lewis Tan (tk), and Chin Han (Shang Tsung). Unlike previous films based on the video game franchise, this one will receive an 'R' rating, potentially allowing it to cut loose in a way that previous Mortal Kombat movies have not. For the first time, fans will truly get to see fatalities represented on the big screen!

It will be interesting to see the reaction to the film when it releases. More than 25 years after its debut, the 1995 Mortal Kombat film still holds a special place in the hearts of a lot of franchise fans. Mortal Kombat 11 developer NetherRealm Studios has embraced that fact, releasing a number of skins based on the film last year, as well as bringing back some of the actors to reprise their roles. Whether or not this year's film reboot will be able to earn itself a similarly passionate following remains to be seen!

Like many of Warner Bros. Pictures other 2021 releases, Mortal Kombat will release simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max. Theater goers and subscribers will have the opportunity to check out the film on April 16th. In the meantime, you can check out all of our previous coverage of the Mortal Kombat reboot right here.

0COMMENTS

What do you think of the new images released today? Are you looking forward to the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot? Let us know in the comments or share your thoughts directly on Twitter at @Marcdachamp to talk about all things gaming!

Yessss. Bring it on.
    Retired.

This is gonna be so bad. I just hope it's a so bad it's good kinda movie. They added a completely new character as the lead role though right?

I mean the games have excellent story modes, MK9, X and MK11 all really well done story stuff. They could have just used them as a template for the movie.

James wan has yet to disappoint me as a director so i doubt this will suck

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    James wan has yet to disappoint me as a director so i doubt this will suck
    I believe Wan is the producer, don't really know how much say he has had.

I think a huge factor on whether or not this will be good is the casting. If they nail the looks people will get into it, that's why the first movie worked so well they cast nearly every character perfectly. It's also one of the reasons why Street Fighter flopped. People build up this image of characters they've been playing for years and if the casting ain't right it's harder to immerse yourself in that movie.

Default Mortal Kombat (OFFICIAL TRAILER)

THIS SHITS LOOKING RIGHT

I am pleasantly surprised. Trailer looks dope.

They've nailed Sub Zero and Scorpion, both look on point.

No Johnny Cage though. Like why have a no name lead the way and have no Cage in the movie? Odd.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post

THIS SHITS LOOKING RIGHT
    Nice!
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

This was ok.

Could have been much better I feel like some of the casting was weak. Liu Kang was just some next dude, so was Raiden. It just sets up for a sequel which I hope they do. Bigger budget is needed.

Sub Zero and Kano carry this movie. Both were soo good. I mean this could have been a Sub Zero horror movie where he just hunted people down Terminator style and it would have worked. If they were building into a sequel then an actual standalone with few characters would have worked better.

Where/how did you watch it? I'd like to watch it too. Thanks.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Where/how did you watch it? I'd like to watch it too. Thanks.
    I just downloaded a torrent of it. Not available to watch in the UK yet for some odd reason.

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    This was ok.

Could have been much better I feel like some of the casting was weak. Liu Kang was just some next dude, so was Raiden. It just sets up for a sequel which I hope they do. Bigger budget is needed.

Sub Zero and Kano carry this movie. Both were soo good. I mean this could have been a Sub Zero horror movie where he just hunted people down Terminator style and it would have worked. If they were building into a sequel then an actual standalone with few characters would have worked better.
    Lol I agree this should have been a solo Sub-Zero flick. When Sub-Zero was outside of the cabin it was like a straight Myers/Vorhees scene. His scenes carried that movie. The plot seemed rushed and all over the place. It felt like they were trying to cram too much into this one movie. Lol @ Raiden and Kabal was awful.