Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think a new Wu group album can still bring the heat AND make big sales?

Default Do you think a new Wu group album can still bring the heat AND make big sales?

one is not necessarily connected to the other

also, how long have they been talking about that new album now? it's BEEN a minute. obviously COVID is gonna hold up things
    Retired.

'Sales' is misleading, since most of it will end up being counted in streaming numbers. The last album did about 20K first week and that was 8 years ago.

Success depends entirely on how it's handled. They can potentially still make a popular, critically acclaimed album but it all depends on the execution, and how they handle promoting the record.

I think it would be nice to hear them experiment and branch out sound wise. The Wu-Tang sound has been ran into the ground both by Wu themselves and literally millions of imitators. They should do something different and more modern, still boom bap and soulful but not just the musical equivalent of The Force Awakens.

Shaolin Master

I think they definitely can bring some heat... if certain stylistic and aesthetics are adhered to. The foundation has to be solid, none of that phoned-in crap. If they can just spend 2-3 months vibing at the Wu Mansion with no distractions - there will be guaranteed quality output, I think Rza will benefit being out of Hollyweird and back with his Wu comrades. His production and rhymes will improve with no yes-men around.
    I'm not sure about the big sales, but once word spreads that the Wu have made a quality product with a return to a fan-pleasing aesthetic, it will be guaranteed to sell better than the last two joints.
    This is just a pipe dream however, it's not going to happen like this. Barring funerals, I think the documentary is the last time we will see them in the same room together.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

No need for big sales, 1 is more than enough if you know how to flip it.

The sound & promotion is key. If they bring back the old sound & promote it right I think it could make an impact.

I think they should do one last album (for the fans) but they shouldn’t rush it and no bullshit music either.

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

No Nathaniel. No Harley. No live drummers. Clan in the studio together.

For me, that would be a solid start.

Peace CT

What CL2 said. Peace

Wu-Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    And noone to hear it? No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    'Sales' is misleading, since most of it will end up being counted in streaming numbers. The last album did about 20K first week and that was 8 years ago.

Success depends entirely on how it's handled. They can potentially still make a popular, critically acclaimed album but it all depends on the execution, and how they handle promoting the record.

I think it would be nice to hear them experiment and branch out sound wise. The Wu-Tang sound has been ran into the ground both by Wu themselves and literally millions of imitators. They should do something different and more modern, still boom bap and soulful but not just the musical equivalent of The Force Awakens.
    I don't believe the last album sold only 20 k copies. I have two copies myself and I guess there's more poeple like me in the world. I guess, overally it must've been around 100k + streams. According to HipHopDX, Wu sold over 20k copies of A Better Tomorrow in the first week plus 20k+ in streams but it was the first week alone in the US. Wu is much way popular in Europe now than in the US i'd say.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    Wasnt your album taken by the fbi from the pharmatroll? Sadly I feel it will be locked up in a box in the fbi storage and will be forgotten now.

Glad you made your money though.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

There isn't an FBI storage I think... just for X-files

It's with the department of justice's forfeiture department.

Maybe there will be some light at the end of the tunnel someday... fingers crossed.

Eastern village

I hope aswell that it will be light at the end of the tunnel. And it could be in the x-files since only a handful of people seen it in real life. (Just kidding)
    Hope you or rza can get it back into your hands somehow.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I highly doubt either of them would be interested.
    They would end up having to pay quadruple whatever they made off of it to get it back. F.B.I. are the ultimate scalpers.