Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-80 closed a $3 million deal with Versebooks

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Default M-80 closed a $3 million deal with Versebooks

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this means exactly, but M-Eighty recently closed a multi-million dollar deal for a new app called Versebooks....

the deal got written up recently in LA Weekly https://www.laweekly.com/versebooks-...m-la-resident/

and M-Eighty talks about the new deal and what it means in this interview with Justin Hunte:

"In the past, M80's strategy of buying exclusive verses and then licensing them multiple times has received criticism from Hip Hop heads. This innovative yet controversial business model has lead to a partnership with Versebooks, which allows for artists searching for collaborations to transact over the blockchain.

Also in this discussion, M80 explains how the FBI started blowing up his phone after attempting to buy Wu-Tang's Once Upon A Time In Shaolin from super villain Martin Shkreli."

Could you explain to me how can you license the same verse multiply times? I'm a rookie when it comes to shit like that

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post
    Could you explain to me how can you license the same verse multiply times? I'm a rookie when it comes to shit like that
    Ghost Files- Bronze Tape
    Ghost Files- Propane Tape
    Lost Tapes

Banned

M-80 used a previous mods account to delete all of his posts on this forum. I think I might have undeletes some of them. Not sure what he was trying to hide.

Lol good for m80

a lot of people were giving him crap on this forum back when he was still posting, promoting projects he was involved in

here's a guy who knows how to hustle. good for him
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post
    M-80 used a previous mods account to delete all of his posts on this forum. I think I might have undeletes some of them. Not sure what he was trying to hide.
    Probably trying to hide his address from you.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah_MAC View Post
    Ghost Files- Bronze Tape
    Ghost Files- Propane Tape
    Lost Tapes
    that's what's up! I get it now. kinda sleazy but most def works

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Oh yeah, the Bronze tape. M8 made some great things happen within the Wu-fam.. Quality releases too

Shaolin Master

True. Comes across as a real sleaze ball. His rapping is atrocious. But I do respect his ability as a project coordinator/exec.
    He will always have my respect for getting 60 Sec outta semi-retirement and delivering a decent album in Remarkable Timing. I've been fiending for a 60 solo since his verse on Tai Chi. M80 would have had the HRSMN album come to fruition too if there were no politics between M80's investors and Ras Kass'. Bronze would have been all over that beats wise.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post
    M80 was a mod? Wth?

anyway. A lot of fans seem to have a proboem with him but the rappers themselves seem to really fuck with them.

im not a fan of his lil fake projects he puts out but really its no diff than any of the labels of the time.

babygrande would do the same shit. Buy beats from certain producers and give then to every artist on the label having 3-5 aongs over same beats. They paid raekwon for a buncha verses which they would then hand out to all of their artists but they werejt real collabs.

not a fan of that style but ug hip hop isnt a money maker like it was anymore, gotta get paid somehow. Least he releases his music unlike the other guy here with all his secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by ForensikZ View Post
    m not a fan of his lil fake projects he puts out but really its no diff than any of the labels of the time.

babygrande would do the same shit. Buy beats from certain producers and give then to every artist on the label having 3-5 aongs over same beats. They paid raekwon for a buncha verses which they would then hand out to all of their artists but they werejt real collabs.

not a fan of that style but ug hip hop isnt a money maker like it was anymore, gotta get paid somehow
    exactly. labels by definition aren't going to be open about this. when somebody more or less operates as a free agent and gets things done like M-80 tactics like these do seep through, most of the time actually because M-80 doesn't make it hidden knowledge in the first place, he's pretty open about it - in fact it's the business model he advertises with

people look at babygrande like 'ooh I respect underground labels'. sure so do I ,but record companies are record companies, the business is the business and both artists and the people managing them have to eat. you want everybody to be holier than thou, a lot of people are gonna leave the recording industry because there's no money in it at all and at the end of the day everybody just wants to get the bills paid and provide for their family
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 03-27-2021 at 02:00 AM.
    Retired.

PRODIGAL SUN

Word hal. I cant really blame m80 if artists like priest wan hand him a buncha verses for pay to do what he wish. If they are willing to allow him to do that, they essentially made the move themselves.

all m80s albums are trash tbh. The features rarely make sense, barely even fit in the songs they in. I will NEVER listen to one of his albums no matter who it is. That ghost lost tapes was trash and hes my goat i would never sully my ears with that fake shit.

Damn, I kinda forget that M80 was involved in that 60 Sec album. That shit was dope. To be honest, I didn't think 60 would be able to drop such an ill album.

And yall right. I ain't blaming him for trying to get his piece of the pie, especially when today's new Wu-Tang-related sales rate oscillates probably around 1k-5k copies.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrandir View Post
    M80 would have had the HRSMN album come to fruition too if there were no politics between M80's investors and Ras Kass'. Bronze would have been all over that beats wise.
    new HRSMN album "The Last Ride" drops May 14, 2021.... and I think Bronze has production on there