Thread: Nobel prize for peace has become a joke

Default Nobel prize for peace has become a joke

Been wanting to make this thread for a while now but was reminded when I read an article on starvation as a counterrebellion strategy in Tigray just now

my point : either abolish it or (better option) make it the only (?) Nobel prize to be given out posthumously

at this point it's plain embarrassing. not only are some of the recent nominees ridonkulous, more painful are some of the recent winners who gladly accepted the prize, waited for a year or two and then merrily started a genocide

the prize is stained with blood. it holds no value at this point and is starting to reflect negatively on those who received it with good reason in the past

what are yalls thoughts on the prize?
    Retired.

I don't know enough. That prize seems tokenistic and political to me anyway, but who started a genocide?

the 2019 winner Abiy Ahmed is the president of Ethiopia. there are government sanctioned mass killings in a rebellious province going on right now there

I was also thinking of 1991 winner Aung San Suu Kyu who organizef mass killings of the Rohinga minority under her leadership of Myanmar

there's also the very questionable practise of handing out the Nobel prize to two politicians of opposings camps who sign a peace treaty after an extended conflict with huge casualties on both sides. often winners have blood on their hands, like to name but just one example, Le Duc Tho (Vietnam), who was responsible for among other things bloody Communist party purges. I will say Tho refused the prize (but only because the projected US-Vietnam peace treaty was not in full effect yet)

there's also Mother Theresa who believed the sick should suffer like Christ on the cross, palliative care and pain alleviation were a no go

here's the list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...rize_laureates
    Retired.

found a good read on it too with other questionable winners discussed further and some creeps I never even knew were nominated

https://medium.com/frame-of-referenc...e-3e63fcfe24f6

thoughtful article imo

btw maybe they should do it for some of the other prizes too. there are many examples of various Nobel prizes for science (you know the different categories) that were awarded to men when it later turned out it was their female co-workers who had made the discovery or done the legwork

generally speaking I'm very wary of lauding scientists with prizes. I was in a relationship with a scientist for a few years and the way the system works on how universities and labs get grants really opened my eyes. the pressure to publish papers is higher than actual real long term goal commitments and in a competitive atmosphere mistakes are made. it's a red flag when all your girlfriend discusses is papers and grants, moreso than actual research methods, goals and results (the papers only contain fractions of those). don't get me started on how scientists use their twitter accounts to rake in grants. and this is coming from someone who believes science is the only way forward
    Retired.

They will probably be giving it to Xi Jingping very soon for his excellent work on educating the masses in Western China.

Oh yeah I know of Ahmed and the Myanmar cunt, didn't know she won it.

China is backing the current mass murders in Myanmar.

There's a lot at stake and the west will not lift a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    They will probably be giving it to Xi Jingping very soon for his excellent work on educating the masses in Western China.
    they need to create a Nobel Prize for Historical Accuracy for dude asap

https://news.yahoo.com/china-launche...092841424.html
    Retired.