Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RIP DMX - you will be missed

First listen was solid. Should have been more X verses though

I need to listen more
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Official video for Hood Blues. https://youtu.be/HsGjTld4MTs

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Yeah, it is lazy. Def Jam executives are obviously trying to get this out swiftly while his death is still fresh in people's minds. I bet that they probably cut a lot of his verses and padded out the album with features to stretch out whatever verses they have from him. Literally every track has a feature on it. Some of these guests seem like people he probably never would have worked with. I am certain Def Jam just called up Jay Z and Nas asked them to spit something for this. I bet Def Jam will announce another posthumous album from him soon.
    This is on point with how I feel regarding this record. Fresh off of hearing Exodus, the album feels very thrown together and over produced. DMX sounds like he's been reduced to a featured artist on his own album for 2/3rds of it. He closes almost every song featuring guest rappers (including the opening track), many of whom sound out of place on a DMX album. Though it levels out a bit towards the end.

Letter To My Son also sounds unfinished, and has me questioning whether or not he intended for that song to be heard by the public. X hasn't been known to mask his feelings, but some of what he says is pretty cold and harsh. I can only imagine how this could affect his eldest son, especially considering his father has now passed on, with the inability to reconcile, and the chorus is literally saying "Call your father..." This left me feeling unsettled.

The closing prayer is also repurposed from 1998's "It's Dark and Hell is Hot", though I understand the significance of it correlating with his passing in the closing reference.

The four takeaways from Exodus for me are: Bath Salts, Hold Me Down, Walking in the Rain, and Prayer. All solid tracks, that most closely resemble DMX conceived songs, with the latter literally being so. I'm also feeling X's verse and the beat for Hood Blues.

Ultimately, it seems like Def Jam is milking all the X material they can, in order to turn a profit off numerous posthumous DMX albums. Thus is the exploitive greed of the industry. We saw the same thing happen with the passing of Sean Price and his posthumous records.

This is the strongest cut that resonates with me the most. #LongLiveX.

Swizz is really getting dragged on Twitter over this album. I know he is reading social media about the album. He must feel real shitty right now

I think it's just okay. Posthumous albums are usually not the best anyway.

The beats and features are doing most of the heavy lifting here anyway.

in the end it sounds like a compilation album

maybe the full original songs, with all of the X verses, will surface later on

however, maybe we were lied to and the original album was not close to being finished at all

I wonder how many albums they will milk this for. wouldn't be surprised if they squeezed three out of it
    Retired.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Yeah, it is lazy. Def Jam executives are obviously trying to get this out swiftly while his death is still fresh in people's minds. I bet that they probably cut a lot of his verses and padded out the album with features to stretch out whatever verses they have from him. Literally every track has a feature on it. Some of these guests seem like people he probably never would have worked with. I am certain Def Jam just called up Jay Z and Nas asked them to spit something for this. I bet Def Jam will announce another posthumous album from him soon.
    <br><br>
    FALSE. That Track with Jay-Z and Nas is old and was recorded years ago. It originally had Jadakiss on it as well. Lol, I hate when people be tying to make up fake ass narratives. Swizz first premiered the track in a battle he did with Just Blaze.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

DMX had mentioned a few of these songs already while he was alive. But it does feel like there should be more songs, and less collabos.

nada ignorante

The new album is good for what it is... Undisputed was trash still cant cope with it.
    N.I.

Veteran Member

peace - here is a little something. I don't think the full track has ever leaked online...only DMX's verse.

DMX and Ike Hilliard - Play the Game

https://file.io/8zY0Wl2oUKh2

^^PROPS!!

Dame Grease says he's sitting on 50 DMX songs and wants Def Jam help him release them

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.62473/t...o-release-them
    Retired.

Definitely looking forward to those, Dame Grease always held him down and looked out for him. Need some P.K. also, he has not been on a D.M.X. album since Great Depression

nada ignorante

^^PK is underrated. So many dope tracks on the first album.
    N.I.

This track is dope. Actually the track with Bono is growing on me a bit too, although it's pretty a pretty generic pop single.

Exodus has its moments. It would be interesting to hear what DMX and Dame Grease had in the stash, but don't forget DG was involved with DMX's previous 'Undisputed' LP, and that still sucked.

Veteran Member

Exodus is cool...some dope tracks. I agree with whoever said it doesn't sound "finished" though