Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NASA helicopter set for historic first flight on Mars - footage on the way

I guess I'm more of an optimist than you guys, but I also don't think I'm being totally unrealistic.

Our species can potentially learn to live with nature, or at least not interfere as much. We could solve psychological and social issues. Cure cancer, aging, dying. We could learn the mysteries of the universe.

The fact that these things haven't happened yet is not a reason to expect that they'll never happen. 500 years ago the scientific method didn't even exist, that's a drop in the bucket in the history of life on earth. Even with all the fucked up shit that happened during that time, we've accomplished a lot of cool things. Barring a catastrophe, it doesn't end in 2021, and will continue after our generation dies.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    you get a planet with nearly infinite resources, perfect water, perfect weather, perfect conditions for your existence, ample space, ample things to see and do even without human input, a seemingly endless about of wildlife and food. You then fuck it off, and go where? lol.
    The problem is there's nothing infinite or endless here at all. Us treating the Earth that way doesn't mean that that's how it actually is.

In the short term (this century), we just need to fix the way we use this planet, so that we can keep whatever's left of the natural world and keep it liveable. It would be cool if we got to see some progress with space travel too, and got some knowledge we can use.

In the long term, it's really inevitable that some humans, or whatever humans adapt into over the next few hundreds/thousands of years will leave Earth.

It's money time for humanity now on Earth but I see us pulling through in the nick of time. It just takes really high pressure for politicians, civilians and companies to make far reaching long term decisions. We are at that point now. I think 2021-2023 will be crucial years for decision making, in terms of (climate) goals for 2030, 2050 and 2060.
    Retired.

I'd be curious to know what you guys imagine happening to the earth that will make anywhere else a viable alternative. All of this 'run out of resources' is also ridiculous. As most ppl know the entire human population can fit in the state of texas with a dooch sized lawn for each person. Every resource has it's alternative and level of necessity with water being the only one necessary for living, and as far as mining etc we literally haven't scratched the surface of the earth. The furthest we've dug is 12km out of 40km of earth's crust, have barely touched the ocean etc. There a new form of synthetics every day for everything, and as we can see with developed countries population peaks then decreases.

Human won't live outside of earth. I think this idea of 'once we're done here' contributes to us not addressing actual issues here. Yes there's other planets your bodily functions literally depend in the specifics of the earth to function. You heart, lungs, nerves, brain and blood all depend on the specifics of earths size and proximity to the sun to function. Even if you find another earth, if it's not 93 million miles away from a sun of equal size and gas composition to ours. Whatever we can to do even terraform mars or the moon would be used to terraform Antarctica, Siberia, the amazon, and the sahara desert where it isn't - 300 degrees, your heart can beat, and the air is poisonous to the skin and to touch. I think all of this under estimates all of the factors that go into making our lives possible.

People can barely living in Arizona and we're talking about 'leaving the earth' once 'it gets bad'. 'Gets bad' is us dying, not use getting fed up. it's fun to think about but it has no meaning. Go to Mars and do what? Why not just die at that point?
    Last edited by TSA; 04-22-2021 at 03:10 PM.

I agree the focus should remain on earth and protecting it but space programs should continue because of

knowledge of how the cosmos came to be

technological and digital inventions developed as part of space programs that will turn out to be a major help on earth in different (or sameish) applications

possible new insights into physics

who knows, mining in space

if really fast space travel becomes a thing, in the distant future I can see an earth #2 scenario happening. In our own solar system I think only small bases on other planets (Mars, moons) are feasible, as launching pads for longer space jouneys

btw, totally unrelated, but 'Earth 2' is a great (emo) movie -it's not really about anything mentioned in this thread though
    Retired.

I agree, i think the potential for finding metals with capacities beyond what can be found on earth, in space, is infinite and exploration will only making us better off on earth. small mechanized stations are feasible and launch sites/programs from mars can even help us go further away from the sun than ones from earth. Even if it's a refueling or recalibration station. It would be insane to see the the inside of jupiter and saturn in my life time

Banned

I can see going to other planets for resources. You can send machines to do that.

But thinking we can live on another planet is a pure fantasy in my opinion.

You would have to somehow tug a planet into our orbit, somehow establish a water source and atmosphere and the proper magnetic field and air pressure and gravity.

Good luck. We still haven’t even scratched the surface on what we know of the universe. Hawking or Kakou said we are ankle deep in the ocean of the universe.

Unless they somehow learn how to distort space time, light speed is not possible.

Maybe one day when we are a worldof austistic organic robots we can figure it out.

I got to be honest I’ll be glad my apeman ass will be dead and gone.

Everything about life is so easy right now even compared to 20-30 years ago.

{>____<}

People can barely living in Arizona and we're talking about 'leaving the earth' once 'it gets bad'. 'Gets bad' is us dying, not use getting fed up. it's fun to think about but it has no meaning. Go to Mars and do what? Why not just die at that point?
    Scientific exploration. I support it. I obviously agree that we have a perfect planet. Happy Belated Earth Day! When just need to get rid of the people who're ruining this planet.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

I agree, i think the potential for finding metals with capacities beyond what can be found on earth, in space, is infinite and exploration will only making us better off on earth. small mechanized stations are feasible and launch sites/programs from mars can even help us go further away from the sun than ones from earth. Even if it's a refueling or recalibration station. It would be insane to see the the inside of jupiter and saturn in my life time
    The aim for most is to eventually land and mine an asteroid passing by. That's where most of the precious minerals and metals can be found. Some are even solid rocks of diamond that fly by in our solar system. I believe Japan's space programme has that aim, to land and take off from an Asteroid.

In terms of planetory exploration Saturn's moon Titan which has water would probably be the most interesting place to explore.

we aint never been to mars....them "images" look like the arizona desert in summer

i dont think the so-called "moon landing" took place....it was just phony space race propaganda anyways